Spartan / Aaron Rudy - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Superduty Harley 00696, this thread has received 14 replies and been viewed 1904 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 03:05 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Spartan / Aaron Rudy

Gents,

I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but if you have 6.4 Powerstroke, and are "considering" tuners, you need to get the Spartan stuff.

I've owned / driven / rode in F16s, Corvette Z06's, big block (modded) gas Silverados, Yamaha R1s, offshore boats, performance snowmobiles, skydived, etc... stuff that will make your cheeks wiggle, push you back in the seat, or stretch your arms out.

A truck as large as a crew cab 4x4 F-250 (Spartan modded) should not be able to move out like it can... Sir Isaac Newton turns over in his grave every time a Spartan modded Powerstroke accelerates... because it violates the laws of physics.

Insane performance... I have chunks of tire inside my rear wheelwells, and I don't dare hit the gas unless I'm already moving, in a straight line, and I can see for a long ways in front of me.

Aaron Rudolf is the most professional, knowledgeable, user friendly, "tuner" that I have ever met. Straight up guy, knows his stuff, ask him a question, or express a concern, and he will give you an honest answer... his reputation is impeccable, and I wish to jump on the bandwagon and validate that. The guy from Spartan HQ in Hendersonville, NC was nice as well, I didn't catch his name, but he immediately referred me to Aaron when he found out that I was looking for the Spartan dealer that was close to me.

Anyone living near Pinehurst, NC, or works on FT Bragg, and is considering Spartan, send me a message, I'll take you for a ride... wear your Depend undergarmants. Impossible to explain, it must be experienced.

And, I just drove 135 miles on the interstate, at 70-75 mph (cruise controlled), and averaged 23.9 mpg, according to the trucks gauge. It might be off, but I did the same trip 2 days before the mods, at the same speed, and averaged 17 mpg, on the same gauge. It is no kidding science fiction levels of performance. Enough words...if you experience it you will be a BELIEVER!

Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 04:33 AM

You said it! Aaron went way above and beyond for me. I had a ton of questions and uncertainty about about tuners, DPF delete vs CAT/DPF delete, ceramic or non-ceramic, downpipes, head studs, tranny, and even lift kits. Hats off to Aaron at Rudy's.

I wish I could say I was getting super MPG, but I can't complain. I still see 13 MPG with mixed driving and the 150 no-dpf tune. I understand the higher tunes possibly give better MPG. Maybe someday I'll give the 210 a try and see.

I admit it, I'm chicken. I had three 6.0L before my 2008 6.4L. It's a humbling experience to see your engine, hanging on a engine stand, and engine parts in the bed. But I got the bug, asked around and Spartan was the obvious choice to me. I run the 150 tune, taking it easy, but I have had two surprises, one on the interstate and the other at a stop light. On the interstate heading to work, running about 70 MPH, I went to pass a car, pressed the pedal, like to pass, and wham!!! Off we went, no downshift, it just kept pulling, my truck took off like a rocket!!! Good thing nothing was in front me!!! A few weeks later, I was at a stop light and a "hemi" pulled up to my left. He kept inching forward, then I would, then he would, then me.... green light, I hesitated some to see his reaction and he hit it. I didn't nail it, maybe 3/4 throttle, 30 PSI boost or so and passed him up. At the next light he honked and rolled his window down and asked, "are you chipped?" I looked over and said, "is yours a hemi or did you just add the badge, pointing at the shiny silver hemi emblem?" Anyway, I don't make it a point to beat my truck or race it around and provoke people, but it is nice knowing I can surprise other drivers when tested.

2008 Silver CC FX4
ICON / OUO / Line X / Viair / Air Horns / BMF / Toyo / GOS harness

Last edited by TexasTruck; 03-09-2010 at 04:36 AM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 05:24 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I feel confident in stating that a Spartan tuned Superduty will smoke (straight line, to at least 100mph) any stock 1/2 or 3/4 ton truck (minus Lightning, Syclone, a couple other oddities)... and most cars out there. I traded in my 5.7 liter 2008 Tundra, with 380 hp, for my Superduty. The Tundra was quick, and very satisfying under the hood, but nothing like the Spartan tuned Superduty. Words cannot describe the Spartan tune with DPF/DOC delete...

I may change my "tune" if I start grenading components, but I feel that you can run the stronger tunes (250 hp), and if you "baby" it, your parts will last for a long time. But, time will tell... But with the 250 tune, you need 1/8 throttle to merge to freeway speeds...

But I've only driven a couple vehicles that will rip the tires loose, once the vehicle is rolling... the Superduty does
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 05:29 AM

I been running 275 daily for 70,000 km now beating on it on oil field roads and have yet to gernade anything knock on wood. I have ran mine to -45 ish and never came off 275 yet. If your running 250 you should be good to go.

2008 F-350 Lariet 6.4L 170,000 km spartan tuned 275 daily
2006 yamaha Vmax
2003 F-350 XLT 6.0L just bought 215,000 km all stock for now.
2003 suzuki 1000 GSX-R
1993 F-250 460
1978 F-150 stock waiting for a paint job

Near GP alberta.

CC#58
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 10:30 PM

I'm the mechanic at Aaron's shop and will tell him about your comments. All of us at Rudy's like to keep the customers happy and will do whatever it takes. Thanks again for being loyal customers.

John
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 11:05 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superduty Harley 00696 View Post

averaged 23.9 mpg, according to the trucks gauge. It might be off, but I did the same trip 2 days before the mods, at the same speed, and averaged 17 mpg, on the same gauge.
That's why we call it the LIE-O-METER.

In stock form you MAY have gotten 17 mpg if you are running a 3.55 rear end ratio, otherwise it is probably lower than that, say 15 to 16.

As you add higher horsepower tunes the LIE-O-METER gets worse, but the fuel mileage does increase, but not by 4 to 6 mpg as many here have said, at least not in my experience.

I've owned an F250 4x4 (3.73), a 2008 F350 DRW 4x4 (4.10) and my current ride, a 2010 F250 4x4 (3.55) and all have been Spartan Tuned with no DPF. Driving 70-75 mph with the 210 tune and hand-calculating my fuel mileage, the 3.73 would do 16 mpg (computer showed 19), the 4.10 around 13.5 mpg (computer showed 16) and my new truck with the 3.55 around 18.0 mpg (the computer showed 23). I am using the 250 tune on my new truck for the first time and have seen 19.0 mpg (the computer says 23.5).

Back on subject about Spartan: I'm not a speed freak, but it is nice knowing that I can let her rip when the time comes. A few extra mpg is an added plus. Matt @ Spartan works very hard to develop his Tunes and you couldn't ask for a better Technical Guru than Mick @ Spartan.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 03:56 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckmaniac View Post
That's why we call it the LIE-O-METER.

In stock form you MAY have gotten 17 mpg if you are running a 3.55 rear end ratio, otherwise it is probably lower than that, say 15 to 16.

As you add higher horsepower tunes the LIE-O-METER gets worse, but the fuel mileage does increase, but not by 4 to 6 mpg as many here have said, at least not in my experience.

I've owned an F250 4x4 (3.73), a 2008 F350 DRW 4x4 (4.10) and my current ride, a 2010 F250 4x4 (3.55) and all have been Spartan Tuned with no DPF. Driving 70-75 mph with the 210 tune and hand-calculating my fuel mileage, the 3.73 would do 16 mpg (computer showed 19), the 4.10 around 13.5 mpg (computer showed 16) and my new truck with the 3.55 around 18.0 mpg (the computer showed 23). I am using the 250 tune on my new truck for the first time and have seen 19.0 mpg (the computer says 23.5).

Back on subject about Spartan: I'm not a speed freak, but it is nice knowing that I can let her rip when the time comes. A few extra mpg is an added plus. Matt @ Spartan works very hard to develop his Tunes and you couldn't ask for a better Technical Guru than Mick @ Spartan.
My truck has 3.55s. It pulled (stock) my enclosed 7 x 14 foot enclosed Pace trailer (huge coefficient of drag) , with two Softails, plus Craftsman tool chests and luggage. I could tell there was something back there, but... I estimate between 4-5 thousand pounds of trailer... child's play. Before I hook up my trailer again, I will reflash to the 210 "towing" tune. I have no MPG readings before or after Spartan, so I won't even bother mentioning what I had while towing... any MPG info that I post after this will be hand computed....

So I don't have a lot of "relevant" (my words) prior MPG info. I wish that I could claim that I hand calculated my MPGs before and after the mods, but I caveated my original post in with the statement that I was basing the MPGs off of the truck's in dash MPG estimator. Before and after mods, what I stated above is what my in dash MPG readout told me. If Spartan is so savvy to modify the "code" that much, to make the MPG readout "lie", then that tells me that they are able to modify the code to maximize my trucks HP and torque (or would that be torque and horsepower?), without blowing my cylinder heads to the stratosphere... or shooting the crankshaft through the tarmac... right through the oil pan.

Is Spartan "savvy" (my words) enough to modify the odometer, and the fuel gauge readings? Because, my trip odometer, when I reset it, and when I reset the organic truck MPG calculator, now reads 230 miles. And my fuel gauge needle is almost exactly midpoint between 1/2 and 3/4 tank. So, the tunes could be messing with the data, but...

I'll find out if I run out of gas on the road somewhere I guess... and will talk serious smack if I feel that Spartan has altered the OEM odometer, fuel gauge, or fuel mileage calculator. Which I agree can be incorrect... but to claim that any tuner messes with the factory MPG readout is... whatever.

I'm not a "cheerleader", but I'll tell you my results.

I'll compute some MPGs, and will let ya'll know what the results are... I won't be able to put pre-mod self computed numbers up, because as easy as it is to swap the pipe, I don't want to deal the the upper, starboard side, front "pipe" bolt. You know what I'm talking about, or you don't....

My initial post included a bit of hyperbole... but if you've been privileged to drive / ride in some performance vehicles, Spartan will turn your towing vehicle into a "near" performance vehicle...

Pete
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 02:23 PM

Garage
All the "tuners" that I have used through the years (Spartan, Bully Dog, Edge, etc.) have had the "side effect" of making the truck's fuel mileage display read higher than the real mileage you are getting (hand-calculated). It isn't something they try to do in order to sell their product, it is just an unfortunate by-product of messing with the truck's computer in order to achieve higher horsepower and torque. Do a "search" and you will find many articles that describe this "side effect" in detail.

I'm glad you're enjoying your truck and the performance gains from Spartan.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckmaniac View Post
All the "tuners" that I have used through the years (Spartan, Bully Dog, Edge, etc.) have had the "side effect" of making the truck's fuel mileage display read higher than the real mileage you are getting (hand-calculated). It isn't something they try to do in order to sell their product, it is just an unfortunate by-product of messing with the truck's computer in order to achieve higher horsepower and torque. Do a "search" and you will find many articles that describe this "side effect" in detail.

I'm glad you're enjoying your truck and the performance gains from Spartan.
Roger, I'm tracking now on the "Lie-O-Meter". I was aware that the gauge could probably off, but assumed that the error would not change due to a tune. You've seen the other thread https://www.thedieselgarage.com/forum...098#post964098

I'll read more, search more, before I post...

And I will hand calc the next couple of tanks, and provide updates. Because, unless my odometer and fuel gauge are off, I'm getting outstanding mileage for a truck this big that moves out this explosively.

Pete
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 02:18 AM

Are the spartan tunes 210, 150, ect.. BHP or RWHP?

08 Job 3 250 4 door, 6 inch lift, AFE straight piped, AFE drop in filter and Spartan tuned. 91 Procharged mustang

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode