How to dyno - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by O2ShootTheJ, this thread has received 6 replies and been viewed 1333 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

How to dyno

I thought it would be nice for some of us who have never dyno'd (myself included) to have a instructional post on what to do when dynoing to get the best numbers on the rollers. I do plan to dyno in the future and would hate to waste my money because i'm not doing something right.

thanks

2008 F250 CC SB - It all wont fit in the sig so why bother?

Singles Club #222
December 2008 TOTM
Riding High Club #2
2008 Truck of the Year
Ridin' Dirty Club #2

Big Thanks to:
Smokin' Guns Peformance and Accessories - Smokingunsperf.com
Throttle Junkie Performance Parts - tjpparts.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 11:15 PM
TDG Mafia #76

Send a message via AIM to John_DeereGreen Send a message via Yahoo to John_DeereGreen
I'm interested in this as well...never really heard a description of how to go about it...

Jarrett
04.5 qcsb commonrail
Smarty TnT
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 11:17 PM
The Big Meanie

give dyno operator your truck keys, stand back and watch while drinkin' a beer......it's that simple and easy..........

kevin

1996 Dodge 3500 Ex. Cab LB Wide Hipper
Boys Stroke It...Men RAM It
Dually Club Member
Farm Club Member
If I Get Caught Drunk On My Horse, Is It A DUI Or A RUI???

I Got A Named Bubba
In Progress...
FOREVER FARMS
What Is A Farm With No Barns?

Quote:
[Today 9:22 PM] GrnMachineLover: I just think diesels in cars are funny
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 08:38 AM
Stuck in Commiefornia...

Garage
Here's a little dyno check list:

1) - Make sure the tires are inflated properly. Low pressure increases rolling resistance and lowers power numbers.

2) - Make sure the dyno operator runs your truck in Drive or your 1:1 gear. If you have a programmer, or if you are having tuning done, make sure the converter is locked and the truck doesn't downshift.

3) - My experience is that load dynos are better only because they light the turbo at lower rpm and give you more representative data. But make sure that the dnyo shop you use is familiar with diesels otherwise it could end up being an expensive waste of time.

4) - Finally, run the truck with th same tun you drive it around with the most. That's the tune you want to know the power ratings for. Race tunes, Looney tunes, Insanity tunes, whatever you want to call them, they migh lay down a big number, but if you never go to the track or sled pull, then those tunes are just feel good numbers for when you dyno and are otherwise impractical.

I've probably made close to 200 pulls on the dyno with my truck now, it's never hurt the truck, so don't be affraid to do it.

The Current Truck (Oct-2013 to Present):
1999 (Early) F-350 Lariat, CCLB, SRW, Black/Tan

7.3L Powerstroke, 4R100, 4x4, 3.73, 37x13.50-18s, '05 Axle Swap, 6" Fabtech lift, GTP38 "D66" turbo upgrade, SCT 4-position chip with custom tuning by me, Straight Piped 4" down pipe through 5" dual stacks, N-Fab full length triple steps, Pro-Tech cab guard and tool box, louvered 5th wheel gate, Hella 500 Fog and Driving lamps, much more to come...
The one I'll miss, (Mar-2009 to Jan-2014):
2000 Excursion XLT 4x4

6.8L V-10, 4R100, 4.30, 285/75-18, 271whp / 388wtq
The one I won't, (Jul-2005 to Sep-2012):
2005 F-350 XLT, CCLB, SRW, 4x4 FX4

6.0L PSD, ZF-6S650, 3.73, 35x12.5-18, 4.5" Lift
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IdahoF350 For this addition to TDG:
O2ShootTheJ (12-31-2008), SSpeeDEMONSS (01-01-2009)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 10:22 AM

Check out the graphs at the end of Post #13 here...

https://thedieselgarage.com/forums/sh...p?t=358&page=2

...and note that if you use an inertial dyno you'll typically get a higher RWHP reading in an overdrive gear compared to direct gear. However the resulting MPH will exceed the speed rating of LT type tires so it's not the safest thing to do, and if your chip didn't remove the speed limiter you can't use OD anyway!

Ask the operator what atmospheric correction factor and smoothing factor he's using and see if he can explain why he choose the ones he did! I suggest also getting an uncorrected curve with no or little smoothing and no atmospheric correction because the SAE atmospheric correction that's commonly used is a compromise that's more appropriate for gassers than diesels! Make note of the barometric pressure and ambient temperature, and I might be able to provide a more realistic atmospheric correction factor for your diesel. Also if the dyno uses a temperature probe it should be positioned so as to get a true reading of the air intake temperature.

Warm the engine and driveline fluids enough to reduce their viscosity, but don't over warm the engine because for most dyno setups there's typically either no cooling air or an insufficient supply of it to effective remove engine heat like when driving down the road, and a hot intake manifold and engine heat leads to hotter than normal air intake temperatures which results in a lower maximum engine HP than you'd normally get when doing a hard acceleration run down the road. Before long I'll be posting a simple road test procedure you can use to check the accuracy of your dyno results.

I'm always nervous about EGT and when I've asked to sit in the passenger seat to watch the gauges it's always been ok with the operator, but these were on ground level dynos not the portable drive up elevated types.

2005 Freightliner ext cab M2 Mountain Master RV Puller, CAT C7 300 HP, 6 speed Allison TRV3000, air locker 4.33 diff, Michelin 255/80R22.5 LRG tires, pulling a 2008 40' triple axle HitchHiker.
The Following User Says Thank You to ernesteugene For this addition to TDG:
O2ShootTheJ (12-31-2008)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2ShootTheJ View Post
I thought it would be nice for some of us who have never dyno'd (myself included) to have a instructional post on what to do when dynoing to get the best numbers on the rollers. I do plan to dyno in the future and would hate to waste my money because i'm not doing something right.

thanks
on your truck 5th is the 1 to 1 gear. tell them to load the piss out of the dyno cause thats the only way these trucks make power. and put it to the rug at about 1200-1300rpm. let off at about 3200-3300. any higher than that and your wasting your time.

08 F-350 CC SB 4X4
Zex Nitrous
Spartan Phalanx
AFE stg 2
Flo-Pro 5"
Lift\Rims\Tires

Canadian Club #0
Ridin Dirty Club #37
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 12:47 AM

Garage
from what I have seen on the rollers of portable dyos the the dyno jets you get higher numbers in od. the best way to not get a downshift is to run up to about 65 then have them start the sampling. mine doesn't downshift from that point.

01 quad cab 4x4, edge drag comp, 4" exhaust, fass 150, 250 ddps, Jefferson State compounds 683hp so vp 11.91. AMSOIL front to rear. now back to stock 95 fummins in the works

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode