Tire size question on dyno - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Dieselwrencher, this thread has received 4 replies and been viewed 837 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
TDG Mafia Member #56

Tire size question on dyno

Hey everyone! I am getting ready to go dyno my trucks on Saturday. I was wondering what set of tires should I run? My stockers, or my 325's? Will the smaller tire give you a better read out because of less power taken to drive the larger tires? I am thinking so. But what do you all who have dyno'd before think? Thanks, any input is greatly appreciated.

2005 Dodge 3500 CC LB 5.9 48RE Smarty 5" Silverline Exhaust AFE Stage 2 305/70/17 Nitto Grapplers Tinted Windows
Putco light bar
1968 Corvette Coupe 5.9 cummins 47RH with Goerend parts assembled by Gilmore Performance 180 pump built by Smokem 12pt cage Ford 9" with spool 35 spline moser axles pro gears Quick Time DOT drag slicks tilt front end soon to get paint and more air.
1995 F-350 Crew Cab soon to be 6 door DRW Hauler project: 5.9 conversion in progress ZF5 speed destroked adaptor plate King pin D60 3.55 gears

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 02:36 AM

i would think a smaller tire would give you hire numbers. i have asked this question in this thread before and nobody answered. i ran my truck on the dyno with 285's on. my next run i will hopefully have my new tires i think i am going with 305's so we will see if there is a diffrence.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 07:09 PM
TDG Mafia Member#67

i have heard that bigger tires do lead to a #s on the dyno! bigger the tires, the more the drop! i think somebody told me a 35" tire takes off like 20-25 hp or so..?!?

1st murdered out 2011 F250 CC SB Fx4 lariat
2008 F250 CC SB 4x4 lariat dark stone, s&b intake, 5" flo pro straight pipe, 7" flo pro tip, sct livewire custom tuned by Eric @ IDP
Previous Rides:
2003 F250 CC SB 4x4 lariat centinneal black on black modded up
2001 F250 CC LB 4x4 xlt maroon lifted up
1997 F150 EC SB 4x2 xlt red
http://www.youtube.com/user/6Lstrokin
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-16-2007, 01:55 AM

Larger tires definitely affect dyno numbers.

I don't know about you but I'm not simply looking for the highest number possible, if that were the case I could swap, unbolt, and change all kinds of stuff just for one dyno run.

Dynos are good to measure performance differences, such as before and after installing a performance enhancer.

I want dyno numbers that reflect how my truck runs on the street everyday, not some one-time kamikazee setup.
That way I know how my dyno numbers translate to real world performance, rather than having an arbitrary 3-digit number to brag about.

IMO
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 04:00 PM

The dyno will read whatever your truck puts to the rollers. Given the fact that bigger tires have been proven to take away RW horsepower, that should tell you that your numbers will be smaller. I do agree though that you should run your truck on the dyno however you drive it. So if you drive it with bigger tires then run it with bigger tires. Unless you like to flash your numbers around, and lets face it... who doesn't!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode