2nd Gen 24 Valve Injector Nozzle Swap - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by wobblewagon, this thread has received 2 replies and been viewed 6029 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

2nd Gen 24 Valve Injector Nozzle Swap

These are the steps we went though to put the injector nozzles in the injectors. I will make this simple and to the point. It is the easiest. Might as well save the money from complete injectors and assemble the nozzles your self and then put the money you saved into something else for your truck. Just an idea. Good luck.:Thumbup:

-Tools needed: 3/8" inchpound torque wrench, screw driver, 15 mm deep socket, vise, 2 small pieces of flat wood (3" long x 1" tall), clean rags, cup of diesel, toothbrush, and a can of cope (not pictured)

-First I took a buddies complete injectors that he had removed from his 24 valve the previous week.
-I put one injector inbetween the two pieces of wood and sandwiched it in the vise. Nozzle facing up. It has to be pretty tite or it will just turn in the vise. You use the wood as a cushion for the injector you dont want to mess it up.
-I then used the screw driver underneath the injector in the slot of the injector to wedge it self up against the vise to keep it from rotating while untorqueing and then later retorqueing.
Injector in Vise with screwdriver to hold it:

-I untorqued the injector housing off the injector and it came off w/ 350 inch pounds of torque. I experianced this on 4 of the injectors so that is what I retorqued all of them to when reassembling.
Injector housing untorqued at 350 inch pounds:

When you take the nozzle housing off the injector body DO NOT TAKE ANYTHING ELSE OFF THE INJECTOR LEAVE IT AS IT IS!!!!!!
-Once the housing came off the injector I set the needle aside and tapped the housing on the flat part of the vise. Let inertia cause the nozzle to come out. That way you don't mess up the stock nozzles.
-DO NOT HIT THE NOZZLE TIP!!!! This way you will not mess up the brass washer on the nozzle side or the nozzle it self. Do not pry on the brass washer!!!! You need to reuse it.
-Once loose, you can wiggle the brass washer off w/ your hands and remove the nozzle from the housing.
Injector housing tap to get the nozzle to fall out:

-Here it is all laid out.
Nozzle, Nozzle housing, brass washer all apart:

-Clean the nozzle housing out and the brass washer off with the diesel fuel you have in the jar using the tooth brush.
-Once done cleaning I reassembled it.
-I found it was easiest to put the needle back on the injector in the vise.
-Then the new nozzle on that. Line up the two holes at the base of the nozzle with the 2 studs sticking out of the part on the injector. It only fits one way. They are offset. Do not force down.
-Put the housing over all that to hold it all together and tighten it all back together. I tightened mine to the 350 inchpounds that they untorqued at.(I am not sure if this is correct but that is what mine were torqued at so I just put them back to what it was.)
-Put the brass washer back on.
Injector in Vise with screwdriver to hold it:

-Remove from vise and wood and you are all done swapping a nozzle.
-Wrap then up to keep them clean until you are putting them in your truck.
-It is recomended to have the injectors all pop tested but the place I got my nozzles from (Go Fast Engineering) said that they have had great luck with the Edge nozzles and never have problems with them. I would probably be fine just putting it all together.
- I ended up putting the injectors in without pop testing and they worked fine.:HappyMugs Now my tranny really hates me and the EGT jump up way faster. WOOOO HOOOO!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 02:00 PM

your torque spec is probably wrong because it is alwawy harder to loosen something than it is to tighten it. one of the reasons impacts are usually stronger in reverse

1998.5 24v QUAD CAB 4X4 CUMMINS 5spd , DRAG COMP, , FASS 150, , ATS 4", INTAKE, 150 jammers, clutch, guages
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 04:50 PM

I think they said the actual torque on them is supposed to be 28ft/lbs. or 336 in/lbs. So you're pretty close if that's right.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode