Fan Belt Replacement - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by 4cstr, this thread has received 6 replies and been viewed 16043 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
4cstr

Fan Belt Replacement

Diesel Fan Belt Replacement

Thanks To Dodgeram.org

1. Remove the belt by inserting the drive nose of a 3/8" ratchet into the square hole in the idler pulley. Use the ratchet to unload the idler tension from the belt by rotating the ratchet counterclockwise as viewed from the front of the engine. The best position for the ratchet is almost straight up in front of the alternator. When tension has been released from the belt, remove it from the engine.

2. Route the fan belt around the pulleys as shown in the diagram under the hood. Position the belt over the grooved pulleys first, with the slack at the water pump pulley.

3. Using a 3/8" ratchet wrench with the drive inserted into the hole on the tensioner, lift the tensioner and slip the drive belt around the tensioner pulley and water pump pulley.

NOTE: The belt tensioner is spring-loaded and must be pivoted away from the drive belt. Pivoting in the wrong direction can result in damage to the belt tensioner.

Non-A/C belt drive components:

1. WATER PUMP

2. ACCESSORY DRIVE BELT

3. AUTOMATIC BELT TENSIONER

4. 3/8" SQUARE BOLT

5. MOUNT BOLT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	17900012.gif
Views:	2416
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	2792   Click image for larger version

Name:	belt_route.gif
Views:	14623
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	2793   Click image for larger version

Name:	belt_components.gif
Views:	5372
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	2794  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 10:01 PM

Help! My truck doesn't have serpeantene belt and need to know symantex for Ford F250 Diesel with w/ AC and using V belts
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 10:03 PM

Unhappy 1989 F250 Ford diesel AC with V belts replacement????????????????????????????????????

Help F250 Ford diesel V belt symantex w/ AC 1989 Automatic
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 06:02 PM

May I add that on the 2004 Dodge Diesel (2500 mine anyways) the belt tensioner has a 1/2" square hole, which a 1/2" breaker bar will work fine, and access from under the truck is easier. To remove and install the belt the tensioner should be removed and inspected, as it is all but impossible to R&R the belt with tensioner in place. This can be done with a 13mm box wrench. The greater the box offset the more difficult the task becomes To remove the tensioner from the engine compartment come up from the top. .

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
4Dr Short Bed
47,000 miles.

Reason for belt removal was that I had symptoms as followed.
When pressing the brake to the floor I felt a pulsating in the pedal (stopped or moving, so it wasn't warped rotors), also the power steering acted as low on fluid. Since both the brakes and power steering are enhanced by a Hydro Boost pump (no vacume to brakes), the belt was the most logical culprit.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 09:50 PM

2004 Dodge 2500 diesel with Hydro-Boost pump belt routing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	04 2500 Dodge.jpg
Views:	14863
Size:	174.3 KB
ID:	12614  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna Man
To remove and install the belt the tensioner should be removed and inspected, as it is all but impossible to R&R the belt with tensioner in place.
I have the belt off and the alternator, and I can see your point, however, how big a deal is it to remove the tensioner and more importantly, how big a deal is it to replace it?????

Thanks

Bill
2004 2500 Ram 4 dr

And yes my tensioner also took a 1/2" drive.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 03:09 PM

You don't have to remove the belt tensioner to get the belt arround it. Take a 13mm gear wrench and loosen the mounting bolt a few turns. With the belt off you can inspect all the rollers and water pump for play. If you don't have a short 1/2" pull handle a 3/8" with a 3/8x1/2" adaptor may make it a bit easier.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode