Advertising on Not For Hire truck - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by ParkerFly, this thread has received 5 replies and been viewed 2151 times.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Pulling Sled for hire
 
ParkerFly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 174
Points: 54,169
Thanks: 2
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Advertising on Not For Hire truck

Hopefully I'm in the right section for this. I have a Freightliner I haul my pulling sled with. I'm currently not for hire since it's only used to transport the sled, but have my DOT #, KYU #, IFTA, CDL, log books, etc. I've been approached by someone who wants to put a large advertisement on my sled, but I've been getting mixed signals on whether or not I have to be apportioned or not before I can do this? I don't want to find out the hard way so I appreciate any advice you guys have got. Thanks,

Heartbreaker 2 Pulling Sled - http://heartbreakersled.webs.com

1997 F-250 Power Stroke - 290k
463 hp - 7-9-09
BDP/Casserly Stage 2's, Mod H2E, Stealth Stage 2, BDP fuel system, Comp 910s, 7.3 ic, BDP live tuned
ParkerFly is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 09:32 PM
Aimless Wanderer
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 929
Points: 50,741
Thanks: 29
Thanked 359 Times in 285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerFly View Post
Hopefully I'm in the right section for this. I have a Freightliner I haul my pulling sled with. I'm currently not for hire since it's only used to transport the sled, but have my DOT #, KYU #, IFTA, CDL, log books, etc. I've been approached by someone who wants to put a large advertisement on my sled, but I've been getting mixed signals on whether or not I have to be apportioned or not before I can do this? I don't want to find out the hard way so I appreciate any advice you guys have got. Thanks,
If you cover the banner when the sled is in transport, it cannot be interpreted as advertisement which is a "for hire" type entity.

I've done this exact thing in the past and fortunately asked the Highway State Police about what we both wanted to do. I had no problems.

The question I seek an answer for is simply; why, or why not?
Backslap is offline  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Pulling Sled for hire
Threadstarter
 
ParkerFly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 174
Points: 54,169
Thanks: 2
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
That's what I was thinking, I'd either have to cover it or go apportioned. I think I'll stay like I am and not do the advertisement since it would be pretty hard to cover, and there's no way it would pay enough money to offset the extra cost of apportioned tags, insurance, etc. Thanks for the help,

Heartbreaker 2 Pulling Sled - http://heartbreakersled.webs.com

1997 F-250 Power Stroke - 290k
463 hp - 7-9-09
BDP/Casserly Stage 2's, Mod H2E, Stealth Stage 2, BDP fuel system, Comp 910s, 7.3 ic, BDP live tuned
ParkerFly is offline  
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 01:09 AM
Aimless Wanderer
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 929
Points: 50,741
Thanks: 29
Thanked 359 Times in 285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerFly View Post
That's what I was thinking, I'd either have to cover it or go apportioned. I think I'll stay like I am and not do the advertisement since it would be pretty hard to cover, and there's no way it would pay enough money to offset the extra cost of apportioned tags, insurance, etc. Thanks for the help,
Apportioned license plates are only needed if you are over 26k on declared weight and wish to cross state lines repeatedly. Otherwise temp permits will work. Advertising would really make little difference and makes no difference if you remain within the boundries of your home state. If you placard the truck with your name and under it have "not for hire", or "private carrier", you would also be within the confines of the laws as per my understanding but again if over 26k licensed weight, you can't cross state lines without apportionment, or temp trip permits.

The question I seek an answer for is simply; why, or why not?
Backslap is offline  
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
Pulling Sled for hire
Threadstarter
 
ParkerFly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 174
Points: 54,169
Thanks: 2
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backslap View Post
Apportioned license plates are only needed if you are over 26k on declared weight and wish to cross state lines repeatedly. Otherwise temp permits will work. Advertising would really make little difference and makes no difference if you remain within the boundries of your home state. If you placard the truck with your name and under it have "not for hire", or "private carrier", you would also be within the confines of the laws as per my understanding but again if over 26k licensed weight, you can't cross state lines without apportionment, or temp trip permits.
I'm tagged at 80k and do cross state lines 6-8 times a year. Not that much but venture into KY quite a bit with the occasional MS, GA, and NC trip. I've always used trip permits because I always figured them to be relatively cheap compared to the apportioned route.

Heartbreaker 2 Pulling Sled - http://heartbreakersled.webs.com

1997 F-250 Power Stroke - 290k
463 hp - 7-9-09
BDP/Casserly Stage 2's, Mod H2E, Stealth Stage 2, BDP fuel system, Comp 910s, 7.3 ic, BDP live tuned
ParkerFly is offline  
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 02:26 AM
Aimless Wanderer
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 929
Points: 50,741
Thanks: 29
Thanked 359 Times in 285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerFly View Post
I'm tagged at 80k and do cross state lines 6-8 times a year. Not that much but venture into KY quite a bit with the occasional MS, GA, and NC trip. I've always used trip permits because I always figured them to be relatively cheap compared to the apportioned route.
Yes, for limited travel like that trip permits can be much less expensive than apportionment. I just hate the paperwork involved unless paying a service to take care of it; $$$ over the long run.

The question I seek an answer for is simply; why, or why not?
Backslap is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Source: B's to hire ex-Detroit coach Lewis RSS Feeder The Parking Lot 0 06-29-2006 07:00 AM
NFL Headlines Raiders hire Walsh as O-coordinator RSS Feeder The Parking Lot 0 02-27-2006 07:00 AM
Texans to hire Broncos' Kubiak as coach RSS Feeder The Parking Lot 0 01-24-2006 01:39 AM
The Hire.. BMW Films CBSuperduty The Parking Lot 0 12-14-2005 04:34 PM
Should I hire this guy?? Billysgoat The Parking Lot 11 06-26-2005 02:33 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome