Deutz f3l1011 won't start - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by coreyw20, this thread has received 7 replies and been viewed 16767 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Deutz f3l1011 won't start

I recently bought a 95 ditchwitch 3610 with a Deutz f3l1011 engine. The unit had been sitting for about 2 1/2 years. It looks as if it were brand new though. Both fuel tanks were full when I picked it up. I've since drained both tanks and refilled with fresh diesel. I've bled the fuel system up to the injector pumps. I can not get fuel past the injector pumps. Anybody have any ideas? Is there anyway to clean out the injector pumps? Any help would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 02:53 PM
Old Fart

Garage
My guess is the pump is air locked. Loosen the injector lines, one at a time, going to the injectors and run the starter until all of the air is gone and you see fuel. Tighten all of the lines and try it. It is best to loosen the injector line at the injector, so you will get all of the air out of the line.

Dave

2004 Ford F-350 Regular cab with 6.0.
Completely Stock.

KK6TNI - HAM Radio

http://bennettlaneshopping.com/ - Our Outdoor/Garden and Kitchen Ware store
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 03:13 PM
Aimless Wanderer

As Dave states but a lot of "Deutz" engines use an electric fuel cutoff. If this exists on your engine, ensure that is neither stuck, nor inoperable. If it has a cable to pull for engine shutdown, ensure it is working and pulling the fuel arm to the run position.

Don't know if your fuel system is gravity, or pump fed but make certain there is fuel getting to the injection pump.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Let me start by saying Thank you for the info so far. It does have a fuel pump that is working properly. I am getting fuel to all the injection pumps. This motor has individual injection pumps for each injector. The fuel cut off solenoid is working, at least I have voltage to it and can hear and feel it pop open when the key is turned on. I have the fuel outlet lines all disconnected from each injection pump. I can loosen the larger nut on top of the injector pumps and fuel will come out when the motor is turned over. Once I re-tighten the larger nut I can't get anything.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 04:38 PM
Aimless Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyw20 View Post
Let me start by saying Thank you for the info so far. It does have a fuel pump that is working properly. I am getting fuel to all the injection pumps. This motor has individual injection pumps for each injector. The fuel cut off solenoid is working, at least I have voltage to it and can hear and feel it pop open when the key is turned on. I have the fuel outlet lines all disconnected from each injection pump. I can loosen the larger nut on top of the injector pumps and fuel will come out when the motor is turned over. Once I re-tighten the larger nut I can't get anything.
Are you saying each injection nozzle has it's own high pressure pump internal? If you are getting fuel to the inlet side of the nozzle there is something not allowing the high pressure to build. Usually this is a helix covered by the fuel shutoff not allowing injection cycle to occur.

If you could post a photo of what you have it may be helpful.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Stuck fuel rack

Ok, I've traced the problem to the fuel rack that the shut off solenoid operates. It seems to be stuck in the off position. Anyone have an easy idea about how to un-stick it. I read a post than you can drain the injector pump and pour lacquer thinner to loosen up the wax.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 12:23 AM
Aimless Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyw20 View Post
Ok, I've traced the problem to the fuel rack that the shut off solenoid operates. It seems to be stuck in the off position. Anyone have an easy idea about how to un-stick it. I read a post than you can drain the injector pump and pour lacquer thinner to loosen up the wax.
Now you are in the area I was referring to. If you have fuel to the inlet(s) of the injection nozzles, and still have no high pressure for fuel injection, there is something not operating correctly.

Don't use lacquer thinner as if there is any plastic or nylon internal to the injectors you will invite problems. Use naptha, or Stoddard solvent instead if you must run a solvent through them. Personally, I would pull them and send into the fuel shop and get them recalibrated. Never a bad idea. You also may be able tap with a plastic faced mallet on the area you suspect binding while manually actuating the linkage if able to reach it.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 01:30 AM

Garage
I would say that one of the injector pumps are stuck that can happen they may have to be removed and cleaned.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in