International 2504 with D188 diesel - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Weld engineer, this thread has received 7 replies and been viewed 5303 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
International 2504 with D188 diesel

I'm looking at a project tractor it is an older International 2504 which is a 504 (Farmall) but the industrial version and not a row crop tractor. It has a loader and 6 ft trencher on it. Been sitting a while and the owner says he got it off a guy who ran it out of fuel and never was able to get it running again. Has a Roosa-Master pump on it and is complete. Old style injectors with a prechamber from what I can determine. You can get an entire kit for around $800 for the engine so I'm thinking it over. Anyone work on this older engine anything I should look for? The trencher and loader are of interest. The hour meter shows 2815 on the clock. It's an older unit but parts are available and other than missing a fender and seat is all there. The trencher is an Auburn brand out of Nebraska but again it's from the 60's.

Thanks!

Early 2004 F-250 4x4 CC 6.0

2nd owner, ARP studs 1 at a time, Some parts missing in the exhaust path, BD intercooler hoses, Blue spring, MC filters, Sinister coolant filter, Exhaust manifold gaskets, WARN lockouts, Gold coolant, zoodad mod, autometer boost gauge, high idle mod, Scangauge 2, SCT X3 tuned from KEM, autometer fuel pressure gauge, Archoil 6200 in the fuel, FICM by Ed w/ATLAS40, autometer pyro gauge,'08 Alum Rear Diff cover, 5w-40 Rotella T6 w/ Archoil 9100 in it, zert in the slip joint, harpooned fuel tank, 6.4 banjos

Not a diesel mechanic in real life but I play one on the Internet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 12:09 AM
Aimless Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weld engineer View Post
I'm looking at a project tractor it is an older International 2504 which is a 504 (Farmall) but the industrial version and not a row crop tractor. It has a loader and 6 ft trencher on it. Been sitting a while and the owner says he got it off a guy who ran it out of fuel and never was able to get it running again. Has a Roosa-Master pump on it and is complete. Old style injectors with a prechamber from what I can determine. You can get an entire kit for around $800 for the engine so I'm thinking it over. Anyone work on this older engine anything I should look for? The trencher and loader are of interest. The hour meter shows 2815 on the clock. It's an older unit but parts are available and other than missing a fender and seat is all there. The trencher is an Auburn brand out of Nebraska but again it's from the 60's.

Thanks!
Don't know about the tractor itself but that was a pretty good little engine. The pump is an easy rebuild and not very expensive to work with. Auburn trenchers were fairly common around here and don't use any proprietary parts so any good farm supply outlet will be able to supply most of what it may require.

The question I seek an answer for is simply; why, or why not?
The Following User Says Thank You to Backslap For this addition to TDG:
Weld engineer (03-03-2014)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
I think it just found itself in the hands of some guys who don't know much about fuel injection. Uncertain how long it's been setting but if I can get it south of $1500 I think its a decent deal. Unfortunately I couldn't get at it today to determine if its stuck. I figure worse case a pump rebuild and engine rebuild. The injectors are very simple. Claims they loaned it out and the guy ran it out of fuel then they were never able to get it running again so it got parked.

2nd owner, ARP studs 1 at a time, Some parts missing in the exhaust path, BD intercooler hoses, Blue spring, MC filters, Sinister coolant filter, Exhaust manifold gaskets, WARN lockouts, Gold coolant, zoodad mod, autometer boost gauge, high idle mod, Scangauge 2, SCT X3 tuned from KEM, autometer fuel pressure gauge, Archoil 6200 in the fuel, FICM by Ed w/ATLAS40, autometer pyro gauge,'08 Alum Rear Diff cover, 5w-40 Rotella T6 w/ Archoil 9100 in it, zert in the slip joint, harpooned fuel tank, 6.4 banjos

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 01:54 AM
Aimless Wanderer

Quote:
I think it just found itself in the hands of some guys who don't know much about fuel injection. Uncertain how long it's been setting but if I can get it south of $1500 I think its a decent deal. Unfortunately I couldn't get at it today to determine if its stuck. I figure worse case a pump rebuild and engine rebuild. The injectors are very simple. Claims they loaned it out and the guy ran it out of fuel then they were never able to get it running again so it got parked.
Some of the older "Roosa-Master" pumps had a small filter element in the fuel supply inlet to the transfer pump located in the rear of the pump. Check that first to ensure it's not plugged if it exists. Of course change any external fuel filters also.

As you mentioned first ensure the engine is not frozen from sitting. That D-188 engine was used in a lot of implements, not just tractors. I seen quite a few on irrigation pumps, balers, tub grinders, etc. Pretty good staring if the batteries were kept up.

The Following User Says Thank You to Backslap For this addition to TDG:
Weld engineer (03-03-2014)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
Found this on a red tractor forum.

"One simple thing to check is the return line from the diesel injector pump to the fuel tank. If that is clogged, it will shut down the primary lift pump valve and consequently the fuel to the main injector pump. my suggestion- pull off the return right at the injector pump and blow into it. If your tank bubbles freely your all set. If it does not the little valve in there is stuck closed. To verify: run a free flowing hose from the injector pump return into the fuel tank, prime the injectors the normal way and then try to start it. if that doesn't work, you might want to pull an injector and see if fuel is getting into the precumb chamber"

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 02:34 AM
Aimless Wanderer

Quote:
Found this on a red tractor forum.

"One simple thing to check is the return line from the diesel injector pump to the fuel tank. If that is clogged, it will shut down the primary lift pump valve and consequently the fuel to the main injector pump. my suggestion- pull off the return right at the injector pump and blow into it. If your tank bubbles freely your all set. If it does not the little valve in there is stuck closed. To verify: run a free flowing hose from the injector pump return into the fuel tank, prime the injectors the normal way and then try to start it. if that doesn't work, you might want to pull an injector and see if fuel is getting into the precumb chamber"
I'm not familiar with the return line plugging myself. The pressure/check valve mentioned could be stuck from setting without fuel, or dried fuel of setting several years.

I'm thinking why it's mentioned the return line is plugged the transfer pump pressure will not be greater than pressure built up in the return line and the pump will no longer move fluid. Again, I've not seen this myself but rather a no start, or weak power in a Roosa-Master is usually a pressure roller has fractured, a transfer pump vane has broken, or a fuel restriction someplace.

Most pump shops charge less than $1000 for a complete rebuild of the pump and four injectors around here so not too bad to just have rebuilt to know what you have at the start. Plenty of salvage yards around so shouldn't be too difficult to round up the missing items needed.

Is that loader an IH original, or vendored unit? Being and industrial tractor I'd wager a vendored unit which will be much heavier built than an IH unit. Is the PTO live?

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 02:41 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
IH loader not 100% on the PTO but it should be. The auburn uses a hydraulic system to creep the tractor while trenching so the transmission is in gear but it has a hand clutch with lock to keep the transmission and clutch from engaging. PM you the listing.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 03:18 AM
Aimless Wanderer

Quote:
IH loader not 100% on the PTO but it should be. The auburn uses a hydraulic system to creep the tractor while trenching so the transmission is in gear but it has a hand clutch with lock to keep the transmission and clutch from engaging. PM you the listing.
Remember that hand clutch well. Don't use it for anything except trenching as it won't hold up to anything else very long. Those were some heavy tractors for their time and did the task asked of them. I do remember seeing a few looking like them but was too young in those days to know much.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode