skid steer business? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by D-Man, this thread has received 26 replies and been viewed 13689 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

skid steer business?

What do you guys think about a "Bobcat For Hire" business as a part time self owned business? I used to own an old 610 that I used around the farm for cleaning the barn, small stumps, snow removal, landscaping, etc. and was considering buying a machine and advertising for hire. I work 3 1/2 days a week now for my full time job and have time for small jobs the rest of the week. I was thinking of a couple of attachments. Definintely a hydra hammer and a snow blade. I live in a very fast growing area and see people having landscaping materials delivered all around me. I am also close to alot of horse farms.
Do you think this is a feasable business or is it two narrow in scope of work?
It wouldn't be a career for me but of course would need to be profitable.
Let me know what you think? Thanks in advance

2006 Dodge Laramie Quad cab 4X4 muffler delete, that's it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 02:32 AM

I think if you could get into business with little investment. Like buy a good used machine at a great price then I think it would work out well. If you end up buying a machine and have alot of overhead it will take out some of the fun of having a second job. Do you already have a truck and trailer caplable of transporting the machine? You mentioned that you woould want a hydraulic breaker. What will be planning to do with it? The can be kinda tough on a machine. I would think around alot of livestock it would also be handy to have a auger for fencing and such. JJ
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 01:37 AM

definately a good idea if the overhead stays low.
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 12:16 PM

Make sure that you are properly insured and bonded. Accidents can happen when working in tight quarters.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mower Man
Make sure that you are properly insured and bonded. Accidents can happen when working in tight quarters.
liability insurance and a Corporate shield because accidents do happen.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 01:24 AM

I agree it could def be a money maker, but you must watch our overheads and insurance costs close, very expensive. They want paid weathe ryou have work or not

1996 Gmc k2500 4x4 6.5 turbo diesel, with mods Blew the head gasket, put all new heads, valves, injecotrs gaskets etc on the truck only to get it together and find out it had no oil pressure, and sounded horrible (pry a spun bearing). SOLD
2007 chevrolet 2500hd Duramax loaded. GM LEMON BUYBACK
2007 Chevrolet LBZ 1 ton crew cab 8ft box
on star, xm, tow mirrors, 145 amp alt,
#23 Singles Club
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 01:42 AM
Hacky!

Send a message via Yahoo to Binderpower
Hey guys, right now I work for an excavating and trenching company. One thing will lead to another. If you were seriously thinking about this, then you should really look at a track machine skid steer, like a takeuchi, or a New Holland or Case. The others IPO, have too many moving parts. I would get as many attachments as I could, like a hoe, auger, jack hammer, bucket, grapple buck, forks, etc. Now if you were to be really serious, the next step would be to get a mini excavator. I think those are the best little machines. You can trench in anything for anybody, as long as you don't hit bedrock right away, but then you would have to use a jack hammer with the mini. You can get in anywhere with those minis. We dig graves with ours, trench in tight corners, work inside buildings with it for those who need a pit dug, or hole or whatever. The next thing or what have you to get is a small utility tractor that can do versatile roles such as mow lawns, detach the mower, and hook up landscaping scrapers or mulchers with it for smoothing out what you did with the skid steer, excavator etc. Now if you get a truck, outfit it with a dump box. You will then have more business than you can handle, which is a good thing, but this all cost money, lots of it at startup.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 03:48 PM
'Ol Builder guy

I would like to get more work for my backhoe when biz is a little slow in construction, but it's tough to get side work around here for it.

I agree about the attachments. Buying a hammer or a tamper or other unique attachments for a backhoe or trackhoe is a great investment. Not many guys want to own them because of the cost outlay, but once everyone knows you have a hammer or tamper for your backhoe, you'll get work.

The problem with excavating in general is the overhead: repairs, fuel, insurance, etc. . It's just a killer.

I was thinking about buying a pusherbox for my backhoe & trying to pick up a snow contract.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 05:23 PM

I have my own bobcat buisness. The main attachment that keeps me buisy besides a bucket for dirt work, is the stump grinder attachment. Its worth having but your machine will require hi flow hydraulics
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thanks guys for your ops! I would definitely be trying to keep the overhead low. I already have the truck. Would need a trailer, and the skidsteer of course. I would try and buy a two or three year old skidsteer to try and keep the price down but hopefully not have too many repairs.
I was thinking I would be servicing the individual more than I would be working for larger contractors. Like home owners doing their own landscaping, farmers that need some barn cleaning or general chores,or some small contractors that might have picked up more work than they can chew, they could sub me to help them out. Even with the housing meltdown, there is still ALOT of building going on here.
I'm going to be checking on a small business loan and of course the insurance because if I decide to give it a try, I want to start in the spring.
Thanks again, D

2006 Dodge Laramie Quad cab 4X4 muffler delete, that's it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode