JD 2-cylinder oil leak - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by pontiacross, this thread has received 12 replies and been viewed 3309 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 03:29 AM Thread Starter

JD 2-cylinder oil leak

I have a styled John deere G that is leaking oil around the belt pulley or clutch housing. I pulled it apart and there isn't a seal. the piece that slides in and out to ingage the clutch has a spiral grove in it that is supposed to push the oil back in. every thing looks to be in pretty decent shape but its slinging oil every where.
has any one ever had this problem, what am I missing:shrug:
Thanks

Ross
Show-ME Smokers 2.6 modified street pulling truck "The Lone Stroke" My Videos
1996 f350, powerstroke, 4x4, 5-speed, 4.56 gears, Swamps 450/600 injectors, Swamps BFH turbo, Swamps Idm, Swamps tunes, BTS oil, SBC clutch, studs, springs, tubes, air to water intercooler, fuel system, factory rods!

Tow Rig
1997 f350, srw, reg cab, 4x4, 5 speed, 4.10 gears, 3in down pipe, straight pipe, mystery chip.

Becker Brothers Enterprises
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 07:57 PM

We have a G, but I dont believe we ever had this problem. Try either johnnypopper.com or greenmagazine.com and click on the Ask mr.thinker.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 02:13 PM

Garage
May or may not have a seal. Is there a groove for a seal? I do remember on the axle housing ends where the axles stick out, there is a felt type seal.

Could've been a machined fit, and it wore enough. Is the grooved spot to sling the oil back, is it replaceable bushing? Some are. Just not sure in this case. Haven't had that apart before.

"Some people are educated beyond their intelligence."

'93 W350 CC, LE, 5spd, HTT modded H1C, 4" DE

Sold- '99 3500 Q/C, SO CTD, 4x4, 5spd.

Traded off- '97 3500 C/C, 4x4, CTD

'92 W250, LE, CC, CTD w/ tweaked pump (SOLD)

"Obama = Hoax and Chains"

If Obama is the answer, it must have been a stupid question.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 06:26 AM
Bouncer

There is a seal that is supposed to be there. More than likely it was felt or leather and is completely gone. There was no machined tolerances on the old tractors.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 01:50 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

well I've talked to a few people about it and the way I understand it there is no seal it. I decided that the bushing that the clutch housing runs on is wore enough to get everything out of line and causing it to leak. there is also a trough that is supposed to catch what oil makes it past and keep it out of the housing. i think the drain hole on it was plugged up as well.
Thanks for the replies and I'll let you know how it goes.

Ross
1996 f350, powerstroke, 4x4, 5-speed, 4.56 gears, Swamps 450/600 injectors, Swamps BFH turbo, Swamps Idm, Swamps tunes, BTS oil, SBC clutch, studs, springs, tubes, air to water intercooler, fuel system, factory rods!

Tow Rig
1997 f350, srw, reg cab, 4x4, 5 speed, 4.10 gears, 3in down pipe, straight pipe, mystery chip.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 01:55 AM
Bouncer

You are correct about the seal, there is not one. I was not thinking correctly and there is a slinger in there and also the drain holes as you stated. It is common for sludge to block them.

However there are gaskets inside there for the dust shields that could be leaking oil.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-14-2007, 06:00 AM

It sounds like the same setup thats on the flywheel side. My A was leaking on the flywheel side. It had a grooved part that pulls the oil back in. It had a felt that whent to the out side of that. I have never had my clutch apart but it sounds like almost the same setup. Good luck.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2007, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

picked up some parts for it today. hopefully get it back together this week end I let you know if I get it fixed.

On a side note I talked to a guy around here that works on a lot of old two cylinders and he told me if someone set the oil pressure to high they'll leak like a sive on the flywheel and clutch side. so I'll be checking the pressure too.

Ross

Tow Rig

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

well I got the clutch back together with a new bushing and I adjusted the oil pressure down to 10-15psi from 20-25 and got the leak slowed down but not completely fixed. At least it isn't slinging oil everywhere anymore.
I have to much crankshaft end play too so hopefully tightening that up will help too.

but for now I have a much bigger oil leak to worry about. the gasket between the cylinder block and crankcase is leaking
I think I'm going to try just pulling the rod caps off and removing the rocker arms and push tubes. and just slide the block and head out together to sneak the new gasket in there. I really don't want to have to pull the pistons out I'm afraid before I'm done that would end up in an overhaul.

Ross

Tow Rig

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 03:38 AM

Garage
Once you start, you never know when to stop. Always find something else.

"Some people are educated beyond their intelligence."

'93 W350 CC, LE, 5spd, HTT modded H1C, 4" DE

Sold- '99 3500 Q/C, SO CTD, 4x4, 5spd.

Traded off- '97 3500 C/C, 4x4, CTD

'92 W250, LE, CC, CTD w/ tweaked pump (SOLD)

"Obama = Hoax and Chains"

If Obama is the answer, it must have been a stupid question.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode