Ford 3500 will not start! - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by dpray, this thread has received 8 replies and been viewed 1640 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Ford 3500 will not start!

1968 Ford 3500, 3 cylinder diesel.

Last time I started my tractor I pushed in shut off cable but when engine started it ran very rough, as if the shut-off were not pushed in far enough. When I pulled shut-off to kill engine it would not shut down. Eventually I gave the shut-off cable a harder, quick pull and the engine stopped like it is suppose to. Since then I have not been able to start the engine. I pushed the shut-off cable in fully, but still will not start. The cable is still attached and seems to be operating properly. I wonder if whatever the cable actually operates at the injector pump may be broken, bent or damaged. Fuel pump seems to be working, no air in lines, no water in fuel.
Anyone think this is a problem with that "Pull-to-stop-engine" shut-off cable?
Or what?
Help would be appreciated, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 06:50 PM
'Ol Builder guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpray
1968 Ford 3500, 3 cylinder diesel.

Last time I started my tractor I pushed in shut off cable but when engine started it ran very rough, as if the shut-off were not pushed in far enough. When I pulled shut-off to kill engine it would not shut down. Eventually I gave the shut-off cable a harder, quick pull and the engine stopped like it is suppose to. Since then I have not been able to start the engine. I push the shut-off cable in fully, but still will not start. Fuel pump seems to be working, no air in lines, no water in fuel.
Anyone think this is a problem with that "Pull-to-stop-engine" shut-off cable?
Or what?
Help would be appreciated, thanks
WELCOME TO THE DIESEL GARAGE!

Have you checked to see that you didn't pull the cable so hard that you pulled it clean off the pump? That's my best guess. Take a look at the location on the pump where the jerk wire connects to the pump.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Cable seems good and operational. I wonder if the device that the cable operates, inside the injector pump housing could be broken or out of adjustment?
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 08:10 PM

Given The Age Of The Machine It Is Possible That The Linkage Under The Cover Is Stuck Or Rusted Up.if The Tractor Is Not Used Alot This Could Happen. First Check And Make Sure You Don't Have A Big Slug Of Water In Your Fuel Filters. And That The Outside Linkage Is Working.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 11:54 AM

Just open an injector line to see if your getting any fuel, if no fuel at injector open the line going to the injection pump to see if fuel is making it to the pump. It would be rare that the linkage inside the pump is bad, it is normally the screen inside the tank or fuel filters. You can take the top off the pump and check the linkage, but becareful the throttle linkage is also in there too and has a spring that can get out of place when you open it up.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 03:34 PM

The linkage that the cable hooks too is very bad at sticking, rusting, or even slipping on the shaft inside the injection pump. We see this happen a lot at our shop. If you need a diagram to go by let me know I can get you one or tell you where to get it. I would not just start opening up the pump if your not familiar with them. Hope this helps
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 04:50 PM
'Ol Builder guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerboydw
The linkage that the cable hooks too is very bad at sticking, rusting, or even slipping on the shaft inside the injection pump. We see this happen a lot at our shop. If you need a diagram to go by let me know I can get you one or tell you where to get it. I would not just start opening up the pump if your not familiar with them. Hope this helps
I see that a lot as well. There's so many pieces of linkage and they're exposed to the weather, even the ones under the hood can go bad.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Great advice, would like diagram

We are trying to make a deadline with our home construction and I have so many irons in the fire that the help this forum's members are offering is great.

I would love to know where I can acquire a diagram of the injector housing, as it is inside this that I think I will find the problem.

Please do not think that have not appreciated the more simple suggestions, I really have!

Look forward to hearing more from you
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 05:27 PM

Try this website. Just type in your model and search. Your tractor could have two types of injection pumps. CAV or Sims. You should be able to tell from the pictures which one you have.

https://webparts.pvassociates.net/cnh/main.php

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode