Any Massey Mechanics Here - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Uncle Bubba, this thread has received 3 replies and been viewed 909 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Any Massey Mechanics Here

I got an old 1970 Massey 165 Diesel that I need some advice on. This thing runs great and starts everytime no matter how cold it is. The Hydraulics took a dump on it though and the clutch is adjusted all the way out and gonna need to be replaced.

I know I'm not touchin the hydraulic work myself, that's goin to the dealer. My question is on the clutch. How big a problem is this to replace, can it be done at ome or is it gonna need a shop with special tools also. I know the tractor has to be split to get to it.

The dealer wants $1800 for the clutch and another $2000 worse case scenario on the hydraulics. I can see the Hydraulics but I just don't know that I'm gonna spend $4 grand to put an old tractor back together that only worth that much to begin with. If I could do the clutch myslef this would be an easier decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 10:01 AM
Grumpy Old Member

Replacing the clutch is not hard if your equipped for it. You will need an overhead lift and a good floor jack as you have to "break" the tractor in half. The biggest problem with installing a clutch is aligning the disc or discs if you have a 2 stage which you should on that one. If both discs are not aligned properly you will never get the thing stabbed back together. You can do it with a lot of patience but honestly 1800 for the job is not a bad price if it includes the parts and resurfacing the flywheel. Those are excellent old tractors and with proper maintenance will last you for years.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

That's why I hate to not have it done, It's been a great old tractor. Just hate to think of puttin that much money into it and then somethin else crap out on it though. No indications of it happening but that old you just never know. This little tractor moves round bales around on the front end loader all day long usin the factory pump and it's still small enough to get in and out of small areas with.

I Figured I could weld me up some roll around stands to split the tractor with to make that easier, just didn't know what all was involved for special tools and skills to replace the clutch. I've done a few truck and car clutches and trannies but never anything like this. And ya it is the dual stage clutch.

Thanks for the info.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 04:19 AM

http://www.davistractor.com/ That's a great place for parts. Get a shop manual too, that really helps!

1999 IH 4900, DT466E 250hp, MD3060

2000 F350

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode