how to get water out of oil on JD A model - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by imported_Georgia dawg, this thread has received 8 replies and been viewed 1072 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 02:23 AM Thread Starter

how to get water out of oil on JD A model

i have a 1944 john deere A that i am restoring . the crank case vent cap had blown off while it was being hauled here from south dakota and it rained a couple of times before i got over to the trucking company to pick the tractor up . some rain got into the crank case and turned the oil milky . i changed the oil and the tractor runs great but i would still like to clean out the engine a little better . years ago , my grandpa had a 1010 JD diesel crawler and the JD dealer told him every few oil changes to drain the oil out and refill it with diesel and turn the engine over_______without cranking it _________ and this would clean the engine . then drain the diesel and refill with new oil . i was curious if this would work on a gas burner without damaging anything ??:shrug:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 02:53 AM
Bouncer

It will work just fine, but the way the A,B,G, and H tractors were desgined all the water should have drained out when you changed the oil providing you let it sit open for a while. You can do it if you like, but I think you are going to just waste your money on fuel for a problem you don't really need to worry about.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 02:54 AM

that is how I have done it. fill it with diesel fuel then pull the spark plugs and turn the engine over by hand. you should be able to turn it over fast enough to build oil pressure and get it flushed pretty good. then I would drain it overnite. put a couple quarts of oil back in it, turn it over by hand to get it pumped back through the system. drain that out and change the filter and put fresh oil in it and you should be good to go. if your worried about the diesel not haveing enough lubrication you could mix it 50-50 with oil I guess.

Ross
Show-ME Smokers 2.6 modified street pulling truck "The Lone Stroke" My Videos
1996 f350, powerstroke, 4x4, 5-speed, 4.56 gears, Swamps 450/600 injectors, Swamps BFH turbo, Swamps Idm, Swamps tunes, BTS oil, SBC clutch, studs, springs, tubes, air to water intercooler, fuel system, factory rods!

Tow Rig
1997 f350, srw, reg cab, 4x4, 5 speed, 4.10 gears, 3in down pipe, straight pipe, mystery chip.

Becker Brothers Enterprises
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 03:49 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

i did let it drain a day or so before i refilled it with oil but it was ran a little bit at the trucking company before i got there and i didn't know if any of the watery oil could still be in the engine . thanks for the replies .
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 05:07 AM

The best washout for the engine oil is engine oil.
Put it in and warm the engine, then drain. If the oil is clear in the drain pan the engine is clean.

They used to add 2 qts of kerosene to an engine before an oil change and idle it for 15 min but that is hard on cams. You could get an overhaul for about the same as a house payment.

If the oil was milky, the inside depends on the anti rust propertys of the oil that was in it. If it was non detergent it probably has rust, but most people use the same in everything so there probably is no damage.

If there are pockets that water settled in a modern oil will emulsify with it and change color ( probably grey ) and if it comes out black there is soot in the engine. Change the oil more often and the detergent will clean the soot out.

keydl

93 Dodge /CTD, IC, 518, club cab LE, BHAF, KDP fixed, kelderman air ride
81 Isuzu /C223na, 5spd
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia dawg
i have a 1944 john deere A that i am restoring . the crank case vent cap had blown off while it was being hauled here from south dakota and it rained a couple of times before i got over to the trucking company to pick the tractor up . some rain got into the crank case and turned the oil milky . i changed the oil and the tractor runs great but i would still like to clean out the engine a little better . years ago , my grandpa had a 1010 JD diesel crawler and the JD dealer told him every few oil changes to drain the oil out and refill it with diesel and turn the engine over_______without cranking it _________ and this would clean the engine . then drain the diesel and refill with new oil . i was curious if this would work on a gas burner without damaging anything ??:shrug:
maybe put some motor flush in it get it real hot and drain it when hot

1996 Gmc k2500 4x4 6.5 turbo diesel, with mods Blew the head gasket, put all new heads, valves, injecotrs gaskets etc on the truck only to get it together and find out it had no oil pressure, and sounded horrible (pry a spun bearing). SOLD
2007 chevrolet 2500hd Duramax loaded. GM LEMON BUYBACK
2007 Chevrolet LBZ 1 ton crew cab 8ft box
on star, xm, tow mirrors, 145 amp alt,
#23 Singles Club
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 03:13 AM

your worrying about a problem that you dont have. run the engine at hi idle until it gets up to full temps,,,any water in the oil will evaporate and be gone.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 12:50 AM

i just wanted to say that I have a 44 model A jd too. In the original owners manual it recomended to drain the oil out and refill with kerosene then start it up run it a few minutes then drain it back out. This was in like the winter storage section of the manual. I thought to my self no way would I do this. but thats what JD recomended. just thought it was funny
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 03:54 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguyoftx
i just wanted to say that I have a 44 model A jd too. In the original owners manual it recomended to drain the oil out and refill with kerosene then start it up run it a few minutes then drain it back out. This was in like the winter storage section of the manual. I thought to my self no way would I do this. but thats what JD recomended. just thought it was funny
that's basically what the JD dealer told my grandpa about his 1964 JD 2010 crawler except it was diesel and he just turned it over a few times without cranking it . by the way , i first said it was a 1010 but it was actually a 2010 .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode