How to get more power out of my Ford 3000 Diesel - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by jjrightmire1973, this thread has received 4 replies and been viewed 3632 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

How to get more power out of my Ford 3000 Diesel

I have a 1972 ford 3000 3 cylinder diesel tractor rated I think at 37 HP or so. I want more power out of it. I am thinking about getting the injectors extrude honed and turn up the injector pump. How do I turn up the injector pump? I know this motor is popular. Also what if I put I turbo on the tractor off like a first gen dodge cummins 5.9? What kinda power would or could I make? anybody got anymore ideas for power? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 04:16 AM

do you know what engine it has in it? I'm going to assume its probably a yanmar engine because they are pretty popular in that size tractor. I don't know much about them but I do know there are ways of getting quite a bit more power out of them.
I bet a 5.9 turbo would be to big, maybe you could find one off of a small Perkins engine or something.

Good luck

Ross
Show-ME Smokers 2.6 modified street pulling truck "The Lone Stroke" My Videos
1996 f350, powerstroke, 4x4, 5-speed, 4.56 gears, Swamps 450/600 injectors, Swamps BFH turbo, Swamps Idm, Swamps tunes, BTS oil, SBC clutch, studs, springs, tubes, air to water intercooler, fuel system, factory rods!

Tow Rig
1997 f350, srw, reg cab, 4x4, 5 speed, 4.10 gears, 3in down pipe, straight pipe, mystery chip.

Becker Brothers Enterprises
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 03:55 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I believe it has a 158 cubic inch diesel motor rated at 42 HP not really sure the model. How do I turn up the pump? thanks
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 10:30 PM
Bouncer

It has a 3cyl Ford engine in it with possibly a Lucas injection system. I am not sure how to telly ou to turn it up without knowing what pump is on it. A 1st gen turbo would be WAY too big. Remember the engine is only as strong as it's weakest link. That will be the bottom end or head gasket. Also be careful of the rearend, it can only take so much.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 11:02 PM
Farmer

Send a message via AIM to FarmboyAC
That tractor has a ford built diesel engine in it... and it should have the CAV fuel system on it if I remember right... at any rate it should be the same way to turn up as turning up an old rosa-master pump... take off the top of the pump, remove the spring that runs down the center of the pump and then rotate the engine until the little allen head screw comes up in the window inside the pump then give it a quarter turn or so and see what that gives you... also you might wanna pull the injectors and have them checked that way you know they are still up on there pop-off pressures... sorry for the long post too lol:

2003 Dodge 2500 Crew cab long bed auto-currently in the shop
1996 Dodge 3500 single cab dually 4x4 auto with 50,000 original miles
1991 Dodge 350 srw 4x4 nv4500 non-intercooled... some pump work
Allis-Chalmers 210 Altered Farm Stock Pulling tractor.

Hers-2010 Ford F-450 King Ranch 4x4 Spartan and aFe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode