Smokey Versatile 2210 - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by sdan27, this thread has received 6 replies and been viewed 5127 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 12:53 AM Thread Starter

Smokey Versatile 2210

We have this New Holland/Versatile 2210 tractor that smokes/misses like no other when it is started and it is cold. It is only a couple years old and we have fewer than 1500 hours on it. I've spoken with the service department at the dealership we bought it from and they said that that is simply what that series of tractors is like. Just wondering if anyone else here had any personal experience with them. I should mention that it does have a grid heater on the intake and a block heater. If we use just the grid heater, it smokes like crazy. If we use the grid heater and plug it in for several hours it smokes less but still seems to smoke more than it should for having been plugged in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 01:14 AM

Garage
If it can be adjusted, I wonder if the fuel injection timing is retarded to much.

"Some people are educated beyond their intelligence."

'93 W350 CC, LE, 5spd, HTT modded H1C, 4" DE

Sold- '99 3500 Q/C, SO CTD, 4x4, 5spd.

Traded off- '97 3500 C/C, 4x4, CTD

'92 W250, LE, CC, CTD w/ tweaked pump (SOLD)

"Obama = Hoax and Chains"

If Obama is the answer, it must have been a stupid question.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 04:24 PM

Any sign of fuel leaking anywhere. Have 8430 JD on the farm I work on that cracked a injector line and did the same thing.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

No, I've never seen any leaks on it. I may check into the timing thing though. If it's not too hard to change maybe I'll advance it a few degrees and see what happens. Thanks.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 12:26 AM

I,m not familiar with that particular machine, but if the pistons have a precombustion chamber, that could be your answer. The old IH dv550 diesel engines were notorius for just what you are talking abt. I worked at an IH dealer in Odessa Tx. in the early 70,s and one company bought a fleet of them. In the summer time, no problem. In the winter time, when they started several at a time, you could not see for the white cloud. One question i forgot to ask. Has it done this ever since you have owned it?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Wow, I posted that like over 3 years ago. Apparently, the gear on the crank shaft has slipped so the engine isn't timed exactly as it should be. I don't remember what had been done at the time I originally posted but I do know, it went back to the dealership twice while it was still under warranty for this same issue and now the warranty is up and they may be able to provide a 'new, updated' crankshaft that the gear is not supposed to slip on but will still charge us the labor to install. This is a common problem with this tractor/engine combination. The engine is labeled as a Case New Holland 7.5L. I'm not sure who manufactured the engine.

'94 F250xlt ext. cab. ZF5-speed 4x4. EBPV delete. DPP downpipe. Tymar intake. Tymar coolant filter. LF9691 primary filter. Electric fans. 10k mod. 1.0 turbo housing. Boost blanket. Over-axle exhaust eliminated. Electric fuel pressure gauge. BDP modded IDM. Heim joint clutch linkage. Adrenaline HPOP. LUK SMFW. DIY Elec. Fuel. FS1282, FF5230 fuel filters.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 02:56 AM

Garage
Might be an Iveco engine. Know CNH is using them in other machines. If Buehler (sp?) owns those now, I'm not sure what they'd have under the hood.

"Some people are educated beyond their intelligence."

'93 W350 CC, LE, 5spd, HTT modded H1C, 4" DE

Sold- '99 3500 Q/C, SO CTD, 4x4, 5spd.

Traded off- '97 3500 C/C, 4x4, CTD

'92 W250, LE, CC, CTD w/ tweaked pump (SOLD)

"Obama = Hoax and Chains"

If Obama is the answer, it must have been a stupid question.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode