Preperations for welding on a fuel tank? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Hardline, this thread has received 17 replies and been viewed 2973 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Preperations for welding on a fuel tank?

I have a Case 480C box blade that I am working on. The bottom of the fuel tank has a sediment and water trap on the bottom looks like a little cup welded on. It has a 1/8 inch hole rusted in the side of it. A new tank from case is 1047 dollars so I would like to weld this one up. What would be the best process for this. Brazing, soldering,a two parts epoxy, or something else? Being a diesel machine could it be brazed up in the machine. I have seen a gas tank done before and they flushed it with water then let and engine run with the exhaust pointed into the fill neck for about an hour so it did not blow up. But is all that needed with a diesel tank? I would really like to not have to pull this tank out if at all possible. Thanks JJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 09:22 PM

Diesel will also blow up. If you get it hot enough a rear end will also blow up. Epoxy is the safest, and what would be recommended. However, if you must weld or braze. drain fully, wash out, and put a couple of pounds of dry ice in the tank, and let it gas the tank well with CO2 before braising.

Using diesel exhaust will not protect you like your friend did with the auto.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 10:27 PM

Garage
We welded up the tanks on our Mack. Drained and flushed with water. Filled tanks with water and used a MIG welder. The water also allows you to see if your weld is good and doesn't leak.

"Some people are educated beyond their intelligence."

'93 W350 CC, LE, 5spd, HTT modded H1C, 4" DE

Sold- '99 3500 Q/C, SO CTD, 4x4, 5spd.

Traded off- '97 3500 C/C, 4x4, CTD

'92 W250, LE, CC, CTD w/ tweaked pump (SOLD)

"Obama = Hoax and Chains"

If Obama is the answer, it must have been a stupid question.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 03:01 AM

Ive welded several tanks on the farm trucks, I just drain the fuel and mig them never had any prblems.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 01:15 AM
TDG Mafia #76

Send a message via AIM to John_DeereGreen Send a message via Yahoo to John_DeereGreen
1) Remove tank
2) Attach chain to tank and loader
3) Load into truck bed
4) Take to local welder that is equipped to do this job
5) Sit at home enjoying a beer while waiting on the phone call for pickup
6) Pick up tank
7) Re-install onto machinery

I'm not trying to be a smartass here, I saw a very good family friend seriously injured while welding on a fuel tank that had been triple purged with 80% Argon and 20& CO2, and then re filled with the same mix for welding. Don't do it yourself, it's just not worth the risk.

Jarrett
04.5 qcsb commonrail
Smarty TnT
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 03:01 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_DeereGreen
1) Remove tank
2) Attach chain to tank and loader
3) Load into truck bed
4) Take to local welder that is equipped to do this job
5) Sit at home enjoying a beer while waiting on the phone call for pickup
6) Pick up tank
7) Re-install onto machinery

I'm not trying to be a smartass here, I saw a very good family friend seriously injured while welding on a fuel tank that had been triple purged with 80% Argon and 20& CO2, and then re filled with the same mix for welding. Don't do it yourself, it's just not worth the risk.
Sorry to hear of your friend. When I called him back to set up a time for repairs he told me he fixed it by just running a screw into the hole with a little piece of rubber on the screw! I told him to call back when it started to leak again. JJ
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 09:03 AM
TDG Mafia #95

I welded the tank on our ford 2000 by filling it with water and welding the holes....worked great.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 11:54 AM
Banned

Using the water trick is absolutely nuts. I was standing right next to a good friend of mine that was doing this on a gas tank. He had done it several times before. Everything was going fine until the tank slid on the bench a little bit. A very small air pocket in the tank then moved right to the location where he had the welder and the thing blew up. He had on his shop uniform that was part polyester and it melted it right to his body. He was on fire. I pushed him into the car wash bay and knocked him down into the water that was sitting on the floor and rolled him around and smothered him by laying on top of him. He spent two months in the University of Wisconsin hospital in the burn center. After this I always buy a new tank. In the long run it may cost more. I will not even take a tank to a shop that has the correct equipment along with the explosion meters. I will not put anyone at risk fixing a tank for me. It's just not worth it.
As I sit here typing this to this day I can not get that smell out of my mind.
DO NOT REPAIR, BUY NEW, IF YOU CAN NOT GET IT NEW HAVE A NEW ONE MADE!!!!

I have a guy right now that works in the shop. His face is all scared up from a diesel tank that blew up on him. He worked for a diesel shop that would use a hole saw and cut holes in the ends of fuel tanks on Semi tractors. Then they would weld in tubes and hook the tubes all together on the outside. Then plumb in two lines from the cooling system. One in and one out. The just of it they were using the hot coolant to keep the fuel from gelling up in the tanks.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 07:41 PM

This may get alot of :badidea: mg comments, but ONCE I welded a fuel tank on a shag truck that had a built in step. The tank had cracked along the step. I filled the tank full of diesel and mig welded it in short spot welds, about 3 inches total, just took my time and let it cool in between welds. I would not recommend this to anyone but it was all we could do at the time. Goes to show it can be done.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 03:42 AM

For CO2 I have used my MIG gun to pump CO2 into the tank. Just turn the wire feed off so as to not push wire into the tank and leave gound cable disconnected while pumping CO2. Also I have had good luck using fiberglass patch kits that are made for fuel tanks. Have done gas, diesel and hydralic oil tanks using the fiberglass epoxy repair kits. One oil tank had a gouge init that was 1/4 inch wide gap and about 2 inches long and the patch has been holding for 8-10 years now.

Remember not to talk bad about farmers with your mouth full!
2013 6.7 CTD 2500, 800 ft-lbs torque, 4x4 crewcab Larmine Longhorn edition, 6 sp. auto, 2 tone white/gold
--07 6.7CTD 2500 4x4, Quad Cab, Big Horn Pkg. 3.73, airbags, 6sp auto, with Mag-Hytec deep pan.- sold but not forgotten.
--08 36' Jazz 5th wheel,triple slide, 12,000lbs
--28' 22,400# PJ goosneck beaver tail trailer
--95 & 96 5.9CTD 4x4 5sp. ext. cab. 33x12.50x16 front, 33x15.50x16 rear tires. R-1 tread, wheelbase shortened 30". Used as tugs on farm
--81 IH 1800, DT466 210hp, 10 speed,
--95 FL70, 8.3 cummins 275hp, 10speed
--79 GMC 7000, DD 6V53 210 hp, 6sp ally
-- A whole bunch farm equipment, all colors
singles club # 198
WALNUT MEMBER #11(workers aganist lazy non-producers united together)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode