Looking for some advise? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by D_B, this thread has received 14 replies and been viewed 2141 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
D_B

Looking for some advise?

The wife and I are looking to purchase 86 acres of farm land that is in foreclosure (30 is pasture, the rest is grown up pasture and woods). The goal behind the purchase of this land it to some day build a house with a walkout basement on this ground and continue cutting the hay and keeping a couple head of cattle around. Right now though we are going to be building a 60'x80' pole building and finshing out 24'x60' and living in it for a # of years until we can get the property payed down to build a home.

Right now there is a drive, and two barns on the property, one barn is open air and the other is a 50'x70' both are modern pole buildings but need some work. The smaller open air building is on a 80'x100' concrete slab that was used to run hogs out of. There was also at one time a house trailer on the property so there is water, electric, and a septic system at that old site. We are looking at putting in a longer drive to the top of the hill to the site were we want our home at, and building a new pole building in the direct future once we get the property.

My question is, I was thinking of purchasing a used peace of equipment to do a lot of the dirt work and clean up on the property my self. I have the use of a 76hp 4wd John Deere loader tractor and the haying equipment. So I don't need a tractor and loader, but was thinking of buying a tracked skid steer. I'm looking at not spending over $20,000 so used is where I'm looking, and most likely from what I've seen over 1000hrs on the machine. I'm not up on all the newer machine that are out there and don't really know anything about the tracked units as I have never ran one. I hear most guys talking about how they won't go back though so I figured tracked is where its at for any kind of serious dirt and clean up work.

So I'm looking for suggestions, recomendation, and models. What you guys know that works, what doesn't, and even where the best place to look for used equipment is? I've looked a little online and I really like the Cat 257's, they look like some nice units but that's about all I know.

Thanks for the help.
DB

1999 Dodge Ram 2500 LWB, Intense Blue, 5spd,
4:10's, all kinds of goodies and doodads!

NRA Lifer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
D_B
Threadstarter

Also would it be better if a guy was buying one machine to buy a 4wd backhoe instead of the skid steer? I know a skid steer is super versitle not sure how much you can do with a 4wd backhoe?

Thanks
DB

NRA Lifer
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 12:36 PM

Garage
If you want to clear some timber and plenty of dirtwork, I'd get a crawler. Something like a Deere 350 or 450 with a 6 way blade and backhoe.

http://www.machinerytrader.com/listi...x?OHID=6978813

If you got one like this, you'll be able to pick stuff up with the 4 in 1 bucket, or flip the bucket up and use it as a straight blade, or to spread gravel.

"Some people are educated beyond their intelligence."

'93 W350 CC, LE, 5spd, HTT modded H1C, 4" DE

Sold- '99 3500 Q/C, SO CTD, 4x4, 5spd.

Traded off- '97 3500 C/C, 4x4, CTD

'92 W250, LE, CC, CTD w/ tweaked pump (SOLD)

"Obama = Hoax and Chains"

If Obama is the answer, it must have been a stupid question.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 12:40 PM
Hacky!

Send a message via Yahoo to Binderpower
I would have to say get a backhoe or a trackhoe for the ultimate one man machine. But if it were me, I would get a backhoe and a small dozer 50-75 HP. I know hindsight is 20/20, and if you chose just a Skid steer, you will be kicking yourself later. My dad got his backhoe for $5500 in Kentucky a Ford model. He has had his dozer (JD350 for 35 years now and counting).

You sound just like my parents here not too long ago. They sold our newly built house up in Antigo WI, to move to Harrison, AK. Here are some pics of the backhoe he bought and dozer... Since then has built another new house down there. First he built a 60X40 pole building with a lean two. He then built a small house to live in while building the "new" house. He bought 17 acres of land down there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Backhoe In Basement.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	22423   Click image for larger version

Name:	Basement Drains.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	22424   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dozer In Basement 3.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	22425   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dozer In Basement 2.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	22426  

Why farm half when you can FARMALL!

Give fools their gold, and knaves their power;
Let fortune's bubbles rise and fall;
Who sows a field, or trains a flower,
Or plants a tree, is more than all.- Whittier.

"A Liberal is a person who will giveaway everything he doesn't own

When you subsidize poverty and failure, you get more of both
Diesel Power
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 02:35 PM
milkin cowboy

Send a message via AIM to MILKINGCOWBOY
what kind of "dirt work" and on what kind of terrain, mud. fields, woods, solid soft?
You can get alot of work done quick with the right size skid steer if its the right kind of work for it. As far as a tracked machine for what it sounds like you want to do i would not buy a rubber tracked skid steer,They cost alot more and there is alot of maintenance with them. I would get a rubber tired one and put steel tracks on it i think you would be much happier and get more machine for your money. If ya have to just move alot dirt and some grading and what not on semi hard ground you can get a good pay loader cheap. If ya have alot of digging then a back hoe or old excavator. If you have alot of pushing and grading then a dozer or crawler for sure. If you are going to be in the woods or mud stay away from a back hoe. Pay loaders do ok in the mud with the right tires and if there is hard ground under it and only if there is. dozers and crawlers are great in the woods and fairly deep mud but you can sink a dozer too. steel track skid steers do real well in the woods and not bad in the mud but a rough ride. and when they get stuck they are stuck.all far as general clean up and all around jobs you cant beat the speed and versatility of a skid steer. but i would not want to move 2,000 yard with it or clear 20 acres.

2002 3500 6 speed ex. cab 4x4 custom flatbed farm truck 9,120 lbs. light weight ALL WAYS HAULIN HAY, CATTLE OR A-$-$!!!! BHAF,4" OPEN STACKS,EDGE JUICE WITH ATTITUDE, AIR DOG II 100,SOUTH BEND CLUTCH
1982 IH Transtar Eagle 4370 turned up 400 Cummins big cam, straight 6" bull haulers one hell of a
Jake and 13 speed od

White 2-105 tractor with 354 Perkins
White 2-135 tractor with 478 White/Hercules

KEEP ON KEEPIN ON

SUPPORT AMERICAS DAIRY FARMS

http://i17.tinypic.com/4u2drv8.jpg

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndid=137814954

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
D_B
Threadstarter

Looking at extending a driveway, and clearing of some underbrush and saplings from an old pasture field. No real heavy dirt work, like digging a basement for anything like that. Just mainly cleaning up the property and preparing a pad for the pole building. I will leave the basement up to the home building when it comes time.

I thought of a dozer but was afraid it would be too one dementional and I wouldn't be able to do enough with it to justify the cost. Thought of maybe buying the dozer and a backhoe for the tractor I have access to, and that would give me the best of both worlds but I'm not sure how well the tractor mounted hoes work?

As for the skid steers, any brands or models to stay away from? I didn't think about maintenance on a rubber track machine, is there a lot involved in those?

Thanks
DB

NRA Lifer
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 01:04 AM

Garage
I've got several years of experience putting in drainage tile. I still think a machine like what I posted will serve you best. Has everything you need. The hoe is removable as well. Very versatile. With that style of track, you don't have the deep grousers that will damage concrete or asphalt. The weight is more spread out on the pads.

The 3pt mounted hoes work OK, but you need a stout tractor with good hydraulics. Seen people break the 3pt on a tractor before with one. They also won't be as good to get yourself out of a soft spot. There are some tricks you can do with a regular 'hoe vs one on the 3pt. Don't ask me how I know.

With the machine I posted, you can use the bucket to remove trees, or dig them out with the hoe and push and/or pick up with the 4-1 and carry it to a pile to burn. If the bucket pins are all tight, you can get the bucket flat on the ground and shave dirt or push brush that is on the ground without digging in.

Cowboy is right on.

"Some people are educated beyond their intelligence."

'93 W350 CC, LE, 5spd, HTT modded H1C, 4" DE

Sold- '99 3500 Q/C, SO CTD, 4x4, 5spd.

Traded off- '97 3500 C/C, 4x4, CTD

'92 W250, LE, CC, CTD w/ tweaked pump (SOLD)

"Obama = Hoax and Chains"

If Obama is the answer, it must have been a stupid question.

Last edited by bmoeller; 10-10-2009 at 01:12 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bmoeller For this addition to TDG:
D_B (10-13-2009), MILKINGCOWBOY (10-10-2009)
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 01:29 PM
milkin cowboy

well being the poor white boy farmer I am lol I would say If ya have a 4x4 76 hp tractor with a loader for the work you are looking to do I would say ya should be all but set to do it with that tractor and save $20,000 and maybe ad a few years to your marriage lol...now that being said If you are also like me and like iron and toys and not to concerned if the old lady likes the iron and toys as much you do. I would ether go with a crawler or a skid steer. crawlers are rugged and handy but they are slow and when they break they are not supper cheap also they do require maintenance that you have to expect just like a dozer, undercarriage work is not cheap and at most points in older machines its cost about what the crawler is worth. If ya find a deal and the undercarriage is in good shape then defiantly consider it. Skid steers would be alot faster and more versatile on a farm for what ya want to do now and down the road. Dont forget like a 3point hitch you can have all kinds of attachments,backhoe,bush hog,grapple bucket,post hole digger brush grubbing bucket.....on and on. Some one with more experience on different models might want to chime in. But most bobcats you cant go wrong with. cat makes a great one too but way pricey,case and gehl are not bad ether just set up a little different and takes some getting used too. i also had good luck with old new hollands i run and 1989 all day every day on my farm . older deeres were good from what im told too. One thing for sure make sure its big enough I would not go with a little model go with a brands top 2 or 3 biggest. I would also look at what you had service and support for in your area. I would personally stay away from mustang and some of the other "off" brands I ran a few mustangs and not impresssed at all with anything about them. As far as the rubber tracked ones,kinda like a dozer there is just stuff you have to plan for that wears and is not cheap. lots of moving parts that get abused and filled with dirt mud sand....Steel tracks are great and simple plus you then have 2 machines a rubber tire one and in 15 min's a tracked one just my 2 cents good

2002 3500 6 speed ex. cab 4x4 custom flatbed farm truck 9,120 lbs. light weight ALL WAYS HAULIN HAY, CATTLE OR A-$-$!!!! BHAF,4" OPEN STACKS,EDGE JUICE WITH ATTITUDE, AIR DOG II 100,SOUTH BEND CLUTCH
1982 IH Transtar Eagle 4370 turned up 400 Cummins big cam, straight 6" bull haulers one hell of a
Jake and 13 speed od

KEEP ON KEEPIN ON

The Following User Says Thank You to MILKINGCOWBOY For this addition to TDG:
D_B (10-13-2009)
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 03:33 AM Thread Starter
D_B
Threadstarter

Thanks guys!

I'm still looking. I've found quite a few small dozers. In the D3 -D4 range most of them being over 4,000hrs and with good to new undercarriage. They range in the low $10's in price to uwards of $22k depending on the year. If I get a dozer I want a 6way blade and some cleated tracks so I can move some dirt. We had an older 350 Case on my uncles farm that had the none cleated tracks and that thing wouldn't go anywhere or push anything without spinning. I'm also thinking of maybe just renting? We have several rental companies around so that might be a direction I go as well?

The skid steer is still in my head just for the versitility of one and the # of attachments. I've found a few S250's and S300 Bobcats that are in my price range with under 1,500hrs, but man are the attachments expensive.

The more I look at what needs done on the property the more a dozer with a 6way looks like a good investment, and then maybe renting what else I would need?

DB

NRA Lifer
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 06:59 PM
milkin cowboy

Can make sense too,just watch cause the rent will add up real quick and b4 you know it you could have owned a machine,also i would get some quotes of having some one do it also. A company with a dozer backhoe skid steer might be able to bang the whole job out in a few days and maybe only cost 3 or 5 grand,hard to say with out looking at what u need, but i do know there's alota guys looking to work cheap nowadays just to make their payments might be worth checking out or maybe a combination of buying a skidsteer and renting some attchements and paying some one for a days work with a d6?...

Jake and 13 speed od

KEEP ON KEEPIN ON

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode