The Diesel Garage banner

Froggy Tow Tunes?

2K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  PSDPlayer 
#1 ·
So Who is running the Frogs Tow tune. Are there different versions, and does it have the downshift to 1st on decel. ? I dont really care for the turbo braking stuff. Feedback?

#3 ·
I have performance tune from Doug, because I don't tow over 8K most of the time, but I love my Tow/Haul...its aggresive, and downshifts hard. I love it when I'm towing...

#4 ·
Doug (gogodiesel.com) just re-tuned me lastnight for my new tires
i havent run the actual tow program but he added a neat feature to my file : if i hit my tow/haul button it starts to down shift when i let off the pedal until the truck reaches about 20mph played with it alittle lastnight on the way home

#5 ·
The tow file is top notch!:Thumbup:
Doug and I spent a number of months tweaking it..
It is hard core, some find it a little harsh. Put 10k behind your truck or a few thousand lbs. in the box and you will love it!

You can use it to slow the truck with out any weight, just stay off the brakes and LET THE TRUCK SLOW IT'S SELF DOWN.

It also shines in stop and go traffic jams. Put it in t/h and it acts like a manual without having to push a clutch, plan your spacing right and you rarely have to touch the brakes!:Thumbup:

#6 ·
Carssuck said:
It also shines in stop and go traffic jams. Put it in t/h and it acts like a manual without having to push a clutch, plan your spacing right and you rarely have to touch the brakes!:Thumbup:
This is exactly why I want it, but have had no luck the last couple of weeks via phone or PM.:shrug:

How are y'all getting in touch with him?

#7 ·
im him.

gogodiesel

aol instant messanger

#8 ·
I have ran a tow file that he sent me. I was one that thought it was a bit harsh (last down shift). Power seamed about stock too me but the down shifting with Tow/Haul was pretty neat. FYI... I tried this empty and with an 18' trailer with old 70's Chevy loaded. Just be patient with the frog as he is very busy.

#9 ·
CBSuperduty said:
Just be patient with the frog as he is very busy.
Agree! Doug is swamped right now, just remember he is busy for a good reason......Top notch customer service and expert advice!:Thumbup:

#10 ·
I remember the old programming that gave me the dshift to 1st, and want that back. I dont use t/h all the time, but want to be able to hit it when I want to slow down, and not fry the brakes. I think I will get in touch with Doug. OH, and thanks for the replies! :Thumbup:

#11 ·
I always have called him in the past...when I needed help. His number is in his profile, and signature...

Loki

#12 ·
03six0 said:
I remember the old programming that gave me the dshift to 1st, and want that back. I dont use t/h all the time, but want to be able to hit it when I want to slow down, and not fry the brakes. I think I will get in touch with Doug. OH, and thanks for the replies! :Thumbup:

I talked to Doug today about my tow tunes. He said that he can't get the 1 gear downshift anymore for some reason. Something beyond his control. However the tune does have great shifting. Power doesn't seem very much beyond stock, I couldn't even touch 1000 on the pyro with the T300 on the trailer. Granted I was never above 50 MPH. I think I might see if I can get alil more fuel to mine. :evil:

#14 ·
03six0 said:
So whats the story on not being able to do the shift to 1st? My truck ran that way stock for a long time, and I know there are some on here with original programming.

Not quite sure what it's all about but I asked Doug specificy about that. He said if you don't shift into 3rd gear, just 1, 2 then it will hold out 1st. But after that is disengages at 20 MPH. I asked him if I could get the tranny to hold it out alil longer and he said it can't and it's beyond he control. I forget exactly what he said. I'm sure he'll tell you, but i think he is outa town until monday.

#15 ·
So if I am hearing you right you are saying that if you go say from a standstill to 75 and slow back down, he cannot get it to go down to 1st it will only go to second, however if you were to go slow enough only to get to second gear, then slow back down, it would go back in to first(which is the best he could do). Sounds like ford changed the strategy of the computer. This is the first I have heard of this.

#16 ·
03six0 said:
So if I am hearing you right you are saying that if you go say from a standstill to 75 and slow back down, he cannot get it to go down to 1st it will only go to second, however if you were to go slow enough only to get to second gear, then slow back down, it would go back in to first(which is the best he could do). Sounds like ford changed the strategy of the computer. This is the first I have heard of this.
That is my understanding and experience as of right now. Maybe carsucks or Doug will chime in here sometime. I think they know alil more about it.

#17 ·
You guys are right, something was disabled in the pcm by Ford that will no longer allow it to down shift 5 through 1. We are able to achieve exactly as you said 5 through 2 then 2-1 if you don't pass 20 mph.
What we have now is as close to the original programming you can get.
It is more than likely a little more aggressive in regards to down shifting.
DISCLAIMER...This TOW file is HARDCORE. Pull a heavy trailer or put a few thousand pounds in the box and I guarantee, this file will shine, and is a huge improvement over the current stock shifting config!:Thumbup:

We tried countless times to make it work, Doug was even working with a SCT engineer (sorry, cant remember the guys name) who said there is nothing more we can do.

When Doug writes the files it looks like the last down shift will be there but, when downloaded in the truck the Tq converter unlocks at 20 no matter where the shift points are or the converter is set to unlock. We tried every conceivable configuration to keep that sucker locked. We even tried different years of trucks and grafting their strategies to my file.

For some reason Ford went out of their way to keep it from doing this.

#19 ·
hey carssuck,
Do you know if doug can take the power from say the street tune and add the tow haul capabilities. Like I said, I couldn't even get close to hitting 1300 on the pryo with around 13-14K tag behind me. Don't really need the extra power for towing, but it's would be sweet. I love my street tune. Race tune is alil jumpy. The tow tune shifting is great tho.

On edit. Not trying to jack the post, but with my street tune i was getting little 250 RPM revs at 35 MPH the tach would jump from 1100ish to 1300 or so and then back down. Anyone have any ideas what this is? Never did it until today and did it 2 times within prob. 50 miles of eachother

#20 ·
LovinPSDs said:
hey carssuck,
Do you know if doug can take the power from say the street tune and add the tow haul capabilities. Like I said, I couldn't even get close to hitting 1300 on the pryo with around 13-14K tag behind me. Don't really need the extra power for towing, but it's would be sweet. I love my street tune. Race tune is alil jumpy. The tow tune shifting is great tho.

On edit. Not trying to jack the post, but with my street tune i was getting little 250 RPM revs at 35 MPH the tach would jump from 1100ish to 1300 or so and then back down. Anyone have any ideas what this is? Never did it until today and did it 2 times within prob. 50 miles of eachother
Yes he can. Doug grafts my t/h strategy to all the files he sends me which gives you the ability do deside how hot of a file you can pull with.
I tried the Gonzo for about 5 miles!:umno: LOL LOL LOL
The egts shot up pretty fast!

Im not sure what is wrong with your truck, sorry I cant help there:shrug:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.