The Diesel Garage banner

new and need help

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  art442 
#1 ·
Just signed up wanted to say hi to everyone. Is there a must do list for anyone that has a diesel? Well first off i want to get my truck running right. When i first start the truck i get a surging of about 100-150 rpms engine is cold . when the engine gets up to operating temp still does it. Couldn't figure it out a buddy of mine has a scanner and three codes came up 238, 1211, 1249. I also want to get info on where is the best place to hook up a fuel pressure gauge because i think its a combo of problems and one is fuel pressure. any help would be great thanks

#2 ·
Welcome to the site :Thumbup:
You'll get all the info you need right here,just be patient and Im sure someone will tell you what the codes are..

#3 ·
Welcome.
0238 is turbo boost sensor A circuit high input
1211 ICP not controlable
1249 wastegate fail steady state test

A cheap way to check your fuel pressure without a FP gauge is to use an inexpensive tire gauge on the shrader valve on the fuel filter housing. It's the same fitting as a tire valve.

#4 ·
Giantpowerstrokediesels said:
Welcome.
0238 is turbo boost sensor A circuit high input
1211 ICP not controlable
1249 wastegate fail steady state test

A cheap way to check your fuel pressure without a FP gauge is to use an inexpensive tire gauge on the shrader valve on the fuel filter housing. It's the same fitting as a tire valve.
There is no Schrader valve on the Super Dutys. There is a plugged #4 O-ring boss port on the back of the fuel bowl.

Hammer

#5 ·
Thanks. Oh to have the engine bay out in front and a test port....

#6 ·
welcome to the site

the ICP uncontrollable i think will cause the surging, the icp regulates the pressure going to the injectors so i think that would cause surging

#7 ·
po238= is your map circuit, probable causes are circuit short to power, bad map sensor. p1211=is your icp circuit, probable causes are ipr valve sticking,shorted to ground,bad ipr valve. p1249=waste gate steady state failure,probable causes are gnd short,plugged hose/port,solenoid,actuator. :Thumbup: sounds like your ipr needs cleaned or replaced. check your map hose and make sure you dont have any lose or missing clamps,on your inercooler boots and intake?

#8 ·
hi guys. What should i do then just replace the icp :shrug: or is there a test i can do to make sure thats it??

#9 ·
If you get a second fill out your sig... Are you chipped or programmed? The Icp code is commom with a programer, If your wastegate is unpluged you will get that code. Sounds like a ground problem. WELCOME!!!

#10 ·
i have a western diesel quad chip, haven't touched the wastegate at all

#12 ·
I think you meen the Tri-Power. That taps into a few different circuits/wires under the dash to manipulate the map and ful and so forth. id unplug all of the wires from the switch which will just give you a single position chip program. and check to see if you still have the idle problem.
Id suggest getting rid of the WD set-up and going with something else such as a 6 position chip.These have been found and proven to work better than the WD tri-power.
Hope this helps, Good luck..:Thumbup:

#13 ·
the chip plugs right into the ecu and a wire comes out to a rotary switch for the different levels stock, tow, eco, power

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.