47re no OD, electronics ruled out - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by hayjayhorses, this thread has received 0 replies and been viewed 407 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 02:49 AM Thread Starter

47re no OD, electronics ruled out

i am working on a 1998 12 v slush-o-matic

this truck came to me as a basket case, after spending months looking for a realistic standard trans cummins we settled on a cheap auto that needed a rebuild. (I really dis like autos)

any way, after a rebuild, with a towing shift kit (sonex), there is no over drive, the electronics all work.

I put a pressure gauge on the OD test port and when it shifts to over drive , the pressure goes to about 20-25 psi, then when i let off the the throttle the pressure goes to 40 psi.

I am running the truck on a jack stands, while pressure testing.

I took the valve body down, air tested tested the OD port (it has the square one, hard to seal up) as i pressurized it with air, it seemed like air was escaping from the OD piston.

so i took the OD unit off, OD piston seals are fine, the air bleed ball check seemed a bit sticky, so i hit it with some brake clean, and compressed air. the ball check seemed good. i put the OD unit back on.

I air tested it again but could not get my rubber tipped air blower to seal on the square OD clutch apply port, and i could not see or hear any evidence of the ball check leaking.

i put the valve body, filter and pan back on then ran it, same issue.

same OD port Pressure

I dropped the trans pan, and took the 3-4 accumultor apart. Looked good

i took all the 3-4 shifts valves out, and cleaned them all up.

the 3-4 quick shift valve was sticking, i got it out, cleaned the passage with brake clean and compressed air.

put it back in and i was able to move the 3-4 quick shift valve with a pick from the 3-4 **** accumulator side

I then reassembled everything, test run again..

same issue, no OD, same pressure issue.

I then tested the trans line pressure and it was at 90 psi at ilde in drive, I only had a 100 psi gauge with me so i didn't bother giving it any throttle.

that is were i am at, with this turd.

I don't build trannys everyday, but i rebuild 4 or 5 dodge cummins autos a year and have never had any issues after the build, I have had to go back into an E4OD a few times about 10 years ago, I like to think i do things right.

any suggestions would be good.

I still don't know why so many people bought these trucks new with autos, I guess the folks with $$ too throw at new pickups don't want to shift.

Jay Noone
413-222-8286
I got hay
abolish the Federal Reserve, they are the real problem

Vote Ron Paul 2012

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode