coolent leak - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by imported_7inchstack, this thread has received 4 replies and been viewed 725 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 01:02 AM Thread Starter

coolent leak

Ok so i blew my head gasket the other day, anyways i got it all hooked up and ready to go. i filled up the coolent and went to start it, the batterys were low so i let them charge, i left and came back about an hour later and noticed a puddel on the floor. well its coolent and its comming from the very back of the head. its dripping off the bellhousing, im thinking the head gasket is leaking but the truck hasnt started yet and its already leaking? what do all you guys think, i really dont want to have to pull the head back off
Thanks Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 02:08 AM

Did you have the head decked? or at least checked? Also what condition was the block in? the back left and right and front left sometimes get pitted and
eaten up but only on engines that ran on water for a long time! Did you torque the head bolts properly? Hard to believe but you may have damaged the gasket when you put the head back on?! drop or have to slide it when you put it on? before you tear it down get a pressure tester for the coolant system and put it up to like 20psi and really look at where it's coming from.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

ya had the head decked checked the block and took a little foam disk and got it looking like new. i checked the bolts there all torqed, i drove maybe 2 miles with the blow head gasket. we used a forklift to put the head in as far as i now we didnt hit the gasket (i was on the forklift) my buddy was watching. im going to pressure test it today and find out. there are no sensor back there that i might have not put back in??
Thanks Ryan
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 01:15 AM

there is coolant temp sensor on the drivers side of the head behind the fuel filter ,,, by if you got coolant temp reading its in there or it may be leaking from the treads,,,, also theres a frezze plug back in the very back of the head i would check that,,, you would have to lay under the truck and look up to the back side of the head .....
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 04:48 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

ill check that out, the coolent sensor is tight. it seems to be leaking from the gasket down. Is there a freeze plug on the block back there? i sure hope its that! and not the head gasket. im going to pressure test it tommorow and will see where its leaking from.
Thanks Ryan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode