so how am i killing starters?? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by mudguppy, this thread has received 17 replies and been viewed 1758 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
Tebow-in'...

so how am i killing starters??

yeah, title says it all. recently had to replace the starter. symptom - turn key, starter would click (as it throws out the bendix) but would not engage and run. did the whack-a-mole thing, barred the engine over some, batteries good, but no-go on starter.

so i buy a new one (good-bye 200 clams laugh ) about 3 weeks ago. all is well.

this weekend - SAME THING AS BEFORE!!!!

symptoms - exact same thing. how?? why?? what gives?? i only got about 20 starts on this starter and now this. i think i would've noticed if the starter stayed engaged or something.

so what could be wrong w/ this starter?? it couldn't be bad ground, could it??

sheesh, this truck is really starting to be burdensome...

Travis
---------------------------------------------------
2011 F350 SRW CC/SB 4x4 Lariat 6.7 PSD Dark Pearl Metalic

1974 Bob'd Deuce on 16.00-20 XZLs, locked front and rear, hydro steering, front and rear winches, 5.9CTD/nv4500, hydro-boosted disc brakes

Member since Jul 05, Dually Club Member #63, American Club Member #42, FOSP Member #8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 04:19 AM
Bouncer

What auto parts box store did you buy it from?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 04:25 AM
Diesel Mafia #67

As for frying them you might be too much amps
or they could be defective starters,OR you might not be giving it enough amps and the slow cranking is whats killing it.. ( I think its amps) :sofa

I dont like napa parts... for a starter I would go to cold air distributors ( if you have one) or bennett.. Please dont tell me you went to autozone or advanced auto

Jordan

95-dodge 2500 built to the hill... - sold to litle brother
03- stroker 6.0 studs and basic BS

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 04:29 AM
Bouncer

Amps is not going to kill a starter.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 04:42 AM

check the battery cables"?

They call me SPANKY Because when I was little I was always getting my a** beat now that I'm older I like it! 94 dodge 3500 cummins 213k miles stock drive it like i rented it
  1. TDG DUALLY CLUB #47
  2. KDP tabed
  3. carter LP
  4. Wg wired shut
  5. silancer ring -gone
  6. BHAF-instaled
  7. GUAGES -next to do
  8. 518A TRANS -still works
  9. FUEL PLATE-stock
67 buick skylark convertable on going basket case[HTML]IT AIN'T EASY BEING ME BUT NOBODYELSE WANTED THE JOB [/HTML]
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 04:42 AM
Diesel Mafia #67

I get them mixed up

I know one of them will I cant remember I do know if you have crappy batterys it will give it a slower crank and that over time will kill it

Either way that starter should have a warranty

Jordan

95-dodge 2500 built to the hill... - sold to litle brother
03- stroker 6.0 studs and basic BS

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 12:55 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to PhilipR
If it's clicking like that the contacts are burning out. You can try replacing the contacts with bigger ones:

http://www.fostertruck.com/dodge/

I've bought contacts from them before and that fixed me up. Last time I just bought a new starter from these guys:

http://www.dbelectrical.com/

It is awesome.....I've never had my truck crank over better. They have a eBay store and I bought it through there for under $200 and it's a brand new one no rebuilt crap and no core charge either....I liked it so much I bought 2 gas starters...one for my Duster and one spare for the Duster or my wife's Durango since they use the same one.

-Phil-
98 2500 4x4,12V,47RE Suncoast Billet input shaft, Suncoast H/D Extreme Trans kit, Goerend Triple disc converter, FASS 150/90, FASS Suction tube, Amsoil Ea air and pre-filter, 100 plate, 4K GSK, 370's, AFC Mods, CoolerTubz intake, straight piped 4" DP to 5" stacks, BD-SBS, Autometer Z-series Pyro/Boost/Trans/FP, Amsoil Bypass system and Amsoil fluids bumper to bumper.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Tebow-in'...
Threadstarter

well, i DID buy a starter from Advance laugh , BUT it was a NEW starter - not a reman and no core required. i figured i couldn't go wrong.

as for cables - i dunno. the only thing i actually did was just swap the new for the old starter and it went from no-start to great-start. so everything seemed fine.

are the contacts hard to replace? why would they be bad on a new starter??

like i said, to me it doesn't add up. i thought about taking it back to advance, but i can just imagine them putting it on their stoopid machine and it being fine.

i guess that's my best first option tho?

any other guesses???????:sofa

Travis
---------------------------------------------------
2011 F350 SRW CC/SB 4x4 Lariat 6.7 PSD Dark Pearl Metalic

1974 Bob'd Deuce on 16.00-20 XZLs, locked front and rear, hydro steering, front and rear winches, 5.9CTD/nv4500, hydro-boosted disc brakes

Member since Jul 05, Dually Club Member #63, American Club Member #42, FOSP Member #8
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 08:20 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to PhilipR
Well are the cables in good shape? How are the battery terminals? Any Corrosion? The contacts are easy to change...they are behind the little square cover on the starter.

-Phil-
98 2500 4x4,12V,47RE Suncoast Billet input shaft, Suncoast H/D Extreme Trans kit, Goerend Triple disc converter, FASS 150/90, FASS Suction tube, Amsoil Ea air and pre-filter, 100 plate, 4K GSK, 370's, AFC Mods, CoolerTubz intake, straight piped 4" DP to 5" stacks, BD-SBS, Autometer Z-series Pyro/Boost/Trans/FP, Amsoil Bypass system and Amsoil fluids bumper to bumper.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 08:23 PM

Take off all your batt cables and clean them well if you have the clamp style take them apart. Also check the cables It's called a voltage drop and will pin piont where the problem is! Also load test the batteries, any auto parts store has the test equipment just call around! The tests will show where the problem is no guessing involved!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode