Onboard Navigation - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by LargeCar, this thread has received 14 replies and been viewed 1796 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Old Geezer-TDG Mafia #19

Onboard Navigation

Been using the laptop and a GPS up til now, but this is starting to look pretty good. What do ya think, or what are you using?

http://www.abtelectronics.com/product/22578.html

Not neccesarly from this vendor but they seemed to have a bit better write up on it.

LargeCar :mafia

LargeCar

Mafia # 19 The Dually Club # 19

If a country does not remember and honor its fallen heroes of the past, in the future that country will not be honored or remembered.

G.R. Wemmer

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his/her life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 10:03 PM
fordt

I had a Kenwood indash and Kenwood Navigation, it was "alright". I now use the Garmnin Nuvi 660 and it is a whole lot better. To date I have not seen an indash system that is as good as the Nuvi 660. That's just my opinion. The Garmin is cheaper as well. I decided not to get an in dash system since the GM radio was already satelite ready, and the BOSE system was better than anything I have ever had in the past. I paid $750 for the Nuvi 660 at Sam's Club.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 11:46 PM
I be Architect'n

The Pioneer units are pretty nice. I've been trying to work up the nerve to pull the trigger on an AVIC-D2 or Z1, but the new D3 comes out in march which will have the best of both of the D2 or Z1. The N3 has gotten good reviews, but the navigation maps that Pioneer uses aren't the best on the market, but they're upgrading that w/ the D3.

2K3 EXCURSION 7.3L 4x4 EDDIE BAUER 107K miles as of 06-13-07
AFE Stage II / 4" MBRP exhaust / DP-Tuner F5 (Stock, 60hp Tow, 80hp Econo, 120hp race & High Idle) / Quadzilla Commander/ATS Housing
Running homebrewed BioDiesel and custom SVO kit for 70k miles.:Thumbup:
Misc. Mods: ZooDad/By-Pass Oil Filter/203* T-Stat/Coolant Filter/HPX/CCV Reroute/Tranny Filter/Foil Delete/Stereo Stuff/ITP Reg Return/Non-EBPV Pedistal and Exhaust Housing/Adjustable Waste Gate Controller/

"If you love your motorcycle, set it free. If it comes back to you it was probably a high-side."

I'LL TRY TO KEEP UP, BUT THE EXCURSION IS A BIG GIRL AND BIG GIRLS DON'T LIKE TO MOVE FAST.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 12:26 AM

I have a Garmin 2720. Keith

U. S. Navy Seabee Veteran.

We build, we fight , we drink more beer.

When you are up to your butt in alligators it is heard to remember the reason you are here is to drain the darn swamp.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 12:47 AM

Location: Freedom, Ohio is where home is but I'm currently in the dreaded southern Hemland Province, Afghanist
Garage
I use the Lowrance LCD 111CHDfor my boat and truck. I fish walleye tournaments all over the U.S. and this thing is the cats meow! In the truck it has a ciggeratte plug and easily transfers from the boat to the truck. This thing has everything you could ever ask for and more. It will show you the nearest hospitals, resturants, fuel, churches, bars, and whatever else you ever wanted. Then if you put the cursor on it and click enter it will bring up the address, phone number, and any other interesting thing about the place!

2010 Ford F150 XLT 5.4V8 Superchips, cold air intake, flowmaster dual exhaust
2008 Ford F350 Lariat Dually 22,000 miles Bad injectors, turbo's, and had a new DPF. traded in on the gasser.
2004 Ford F350 Lariat Dually 44,000 miles lemon EGR, two turbo's
Done with diesel's for now. Lost my @#$ on the two we had. 40 times in the shop between the both of them.
Michael Selander
Help the garage!
CAN YOU KEEP UP?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 01:03 AM

I have the Garmin 2720, IMO one of the best units around.

The only negative is the speaker is part of the cigar lighter plug. So, I hard wired my unit and wired in a speaker behind the dash "waste basket" hook.

:cheers

2006, F-350, 6.0, 4x4, Lariat, crew cab, long bed with Leer 180 shell
MagnaFlow 4" turbo back exhaust system
DC Power Engineering 190 amp alternator
Firestone 2400 Ride-Rite air bags
Ranch Hand Legend grill guard
Isspro four gauge pillar set
HID Bi-Xenon headlights
HFCM water drain plug
Fumoto oil drain valve
Accufab intake elbow
Bilstein 5100 shocks
Ctek batteries tender
DFuser coolant filter
Rotella Ultra ELC
Blue Spring mod
Bilstein stabilizer
ScanGauge II
Up-idle mod
Zoodad
Archoil (AR9100, AR6200) & PRI-D & PRI-G Dealer
http://www.johnfjensen.com
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 01:04 AM

I have an Eclipse AVN2454 that Im going to sell once I get it out of my Cobra
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 01:05 AM

As far as the Pioneer, very nice unit:Thumbup:
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Old Geezer-TDG Mafia #19
Threadstarter

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input.

Anymore?

LargeCar :mafia

LargeCar

Mafia # 19 The Dually Club # 19

If a country does not remember and honor its fallen heroes of the past, in the future that country will not be honored or remembered.

G.R. Wemmer

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his/her life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 03:34 PM

I'm actually thinking of going a differant route and running a carputer. It would be similar to running your laptop except it's hard mounted in your truck. It also has a power supply designed for this application so that you don't have to run an inverter or worry about it running your battery down when you aren't using it.
Other benefits;
Large HD to store music, movies, gps file, etc
Can be loaded with an AM/FM reciever
CD/DVD drive
Back up camera capable
SCT data logging!!
Wireless internet (The Diesel Garage everywhere you go)
Games
You can do anything with it that you can a computer, car stereo and gps and it's cheaper. Around $1000.

Down falls;
Must run seperate amplifiers for stereo (unless you use an FM modulator or can wire it into an Aux input)
Slow initial startup, like a regular computer (but programable to keep HD running for shorterer stops)
Here's an example on ebay... http://cgi.ebay.com/Carputer-GPS-voi...QQcmdZViewItem

I'm still researching what the best options are for reliablility, expandability, etc. but I think this is the way i'm gonna go.

'04 F250 FX4, CC, SB, Zoodad, Innovative SCT XCal2, 4" MBRP, Airaid intake, 4" Superlift front with 5.5" Fabtech springs in back with stock 2" block delete, 18" predators with 35" Nitto's, Isspro gauges overhead. '00 27' Rinker Captiva Millinium, 454MPI Captains Call exhaust. '06 '33 Tahoe Transport. '03 Polaris Predator 500, K&N, WB pipe, '08 Polaris Outlaw 525 S.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode