Amps? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by worm drowner, this thread has received 2 replies and been viewed 817 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 12:46 AM Thread Starter

Amps?

First off, I'm not 21 anymore so I don't need a big *** 1,000 watt amp & subwoofer to play Puffy Ice Doggie Cube or some crapola like that. I listen to mostly country (Strait, Haggard, Jones, Hank Sr, etc - not this Shania, Faith, Tim McGraw horsecrap that is called country today), Irish, and classical with some classic rock thrown in.

That said, I recently installed a Sony CDXGT610UI head unit with Sony 6 1/2" two ways (GT1625A) in the doors and Sony 5" x 7" two ways (XSGT5725A) in the back. I'm thinking about an amp but am uncertain what to go with. Would a 4 channel be better for my purposes than a 2 channel? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each? Are there any brands to consider over others? Are there any to avoid? I'm looking for a little "crankability" but I don't need something that can be heard by my buddies down in Texas.

Thanks for any help or ideas.:Thumbup:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 03:11 AM

To double the percieved volume the power goes up 10 times.

Add the watts that the radio says it will do and divide by 12 to get the amps, then look at the wire that feeds the radio. Will it carry the amps? 400 divided by 12 = 33 amps 33 amps needs 10 gage wire to run cool and not have a high voltage drop. The wire on the truck is probably 18 gage and good for about 7 amps.

Same with amplifiers 200 watt is 17 amp and a 14 gage wire.
If you want to fade front to rear and balance side to side it takes 4 paths or 2 2 channel amps.

If you go with the amps the radio does not supply the power that it is rated for just the signal for the audio and the turn on for the amps.

keydl

93 Dodge /CTD, IC, 518, club cab LE, BHAF, KDP fixed, kelderman air ride
81 Isuzu /C223na, 5spd
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-27-2007, 11:36 PM

I would get a 4 channel amp that is minimum of 50 watts rms per channel. Like Keydl said, always make sure that you use the proper gauge power wire to your amp or you will not get its full potential.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode