OK guys, build me a stereo system please... - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by John_DeereGreen, this thread has received 16 replies and been viewed 1695 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
TDG Mafia #76

Send a message via AIM to John_DeereGreen Send a message via Yahoo to John_DeereGreen
OK guys, build me a stereo system please...

Right now, I've the truck in signature with completely factory stereo system all the way around.

I don't need a DVD player or navigation system at all, but everything else is up for replacement. I listen to nearly all Country, some modern Rock about once a month. It's a mix of old and new country. I don't need something that will blow the windows out of my friend's house a mile away, Just something that sounds good and works well, and a moron can use...please give an install dificulty rating, as well.
Thanks guys, I'm trusting that someone on here really knows what they're doing...

Jarrett
04.5 qcsb commonrail
Smarty TnT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 03:42 AM

Here at our local walmart they have a sony cd player and four speaker set for 100. Its not a show stopper but for better than stock sound and a easy instal it does the trick. Check your walmart as it seems to be at all of them around here hope something like that will help. Or Crutchfield they have good prices and great I mean great customer service
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 01:05 AM
Resident GINGER

Garage
Send a message via MSN to CFRO
I'm just running a Poineer cd player 200 watt, pioneer 6.5's 200 watt max capacity (4 way I think) in the front, and poineer 6x8's 200 watt capacity (3 way) in the rear. I think it sound pretty good. the front mirrors shake like a lot when the bass hits, and the rears shake and rattle a little, but I don't mind. Got everything at walmart, $100 for cd player, $68 each pair for front and rear speakers. Oh and the install kit was like $8.

08 Ranger Grabber Orange. XLT 4x4 5 Speed Manual Super cab. Sirius. Silvana 9007 and 9415's. Amsoil 0w30 (Mileage Maximizer). Dee Zee Powder Coated Tool Box (PEELING). Dual 3' Fire Sticks. Cobra 75 X.
94 F-350 CC LB 5 -Speed. 4.10's. MBRP. Single Mass. 265/75's on 16x8's. Uniden CB. 3' Firestick.

Single club # 61
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Or Crutchfield they have good prices and great I mean great customer service

I vote for crutchfield.com as well. Their website will tell you exactly what will fit in your truck and their install kits are free.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 04:01 AM
JakeBrakeIH

Send a message via AIM to jakebrakeIH
the cd player is completely up to you...there are so many different models and features that you should probably find something that you like...I would def. not go with anything under 50 watts per channel...make sure it has an sub woofer output for your RCA cables to your amp(most cd players has these)

I dont know if you have an iPod or anything like that but I have an aux. input and listen to my iPod that way...its crystal clear sound and has a clean apperence too...

most speakers you buy from any audio shop are better than stock...just depends on how much money you want to spend...same goes for if you want to run a sub woofer too...the more money you spend the better the sound quality you get...if you buy a $40 woofer at wal mart compared to a kicker L7...the difference is huge...let us know budget...plus you gotta think to if this is your daily driver, most of the time you listen to music anyways so why not spend a little extra and enjoy...the options are endless to your imagination...:Thumbup:

2000 Silverado 1500 4.8L 5 speed 4x4

Go:K&N FIPK, Dual Flowmasters,
2002 PCM, Custom Tunes

Show:5% tint, Debadged, xeon blue HL,
clear parking lights, color matched grille, billet grille & bowtie
AR 20"s wheels, Kenwood HU, Kicker L7, Sirius, Blue LEDs in cluster:
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 12:21 PM

Another vote for Crutchfield. There customer service is top notch and they provide basic install kits and more importantly good directions for taking apart your vehicle to put the new stuff in.

Price is competitive. Good selection. One stop shopping that is delivered to your door without having to drive all over town.

If you set your monetary budget, you can find a HU and all new speakers that will fit on the site.

Install should be easy if you are not wanting to "thump". New, modern Head Unit and some aftermarket speakers will get you what you want.

Just my opinion.

John
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 03:09 PM

Crutchfield is your best bet just like everyone else said. Depending on what you want you could go with a q-logic box with a built in amplifier or MTX makes a good one. For your deck, do you want a flip out screen for your dvd or do you just want to have a fold down screen on the roof of your truck? Id really check out crutchfield and do a little lookin around and go from there. Good luck dude!

2010 6.4 CC

The Diesel Garage

Can You Keep Up

MODS

recon lights
20" predator8 wheels
Toyo AT's

Rip 06 6.0 You were a great truck and will be missed
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 08:50 AM

well, i am a huge fan of the rockford fosgate head units. they are a little pricey, but no to much more than a good pioneer unit and they last a hell of a lot longer. i've had the same one for going on 4 years now and i beat the hell out of it with no issues. a good set of 3-way pioneers or like to replace the stock 6.5's and 6x8's will make a big difference. with the good head unit an amp is optional, but would make a big difference. as for subs, since you don't want a show stopper stereo i would look into a decent set of jl audio 8" subs in a good sealed box and applicable decent brand amp. my personal favorite sub set up is an 8 or 10" kicker solobarik l7 sub in the biggest ported box you can fit coupled with a rockford or kicker amp run mono on one channel at a 1/2 ohm load. these subs sound great with all music types and will hit hard when you want them to. i had a l7 15" and a rockford punch power 800 run mono, 1 channel, at 1/2 ohm and i could blow systems with 4 good 12's out of the water while still listening to my country and having it sound good. as far as install, everything should come with easy to understand diagrams and all in all it isn't too hard to install. just make sure you are getting good quality products, replace any wiring that is in rough shape, and be sure you solder/crimp all your connectors well. also look into the appropriate install harness for the head unit to avoid the hack-job look of splicing wires to make it work.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 08:28 PM
Mod Friendly Title

Send a message via AIM to Zaairman
For the love of God... Don't buy anything at Walmart. Maybe your fit kit and wiring, but thats about it. Installing a headunit is a breeze. Just make sure to take your time. Solder all the connections or use a crimper. The longest part about installing your headunit will be the wiring, even when using the proper adapters. And make sure you use your adapters. Don't hack up the factory harness, its just stupid. I can swap out headunits in my truck in the time it takes to order McDonalds (done it before in the parking lot). Speakers are easy also. Just make sure you get the positive and negative wiring right. I can also swap out a speaker in my door in less than 3 mins. Done that in the Burger King parking lot too. If you really want to make sure you get it right, run your own speaker wiring. Its not that hard to do, I did my entire truck in a few hours using Monster speaker wire. When it comes to buy a headunit, pick a decent one that fits your budget. I've had nothing but good luck with Pioneer and Alpine products, so I stick with them. I had a Sony Xplode in my F-150, and it died after 2 years.

In my Superduty, I'm running an Alpine W200 in dash DVD (would never fit in your truck, its a double DIN), Pioneer "D" Series 6x8 Kevlar speakers in all of the doors, and a JL 10" sub. Sounds awesome with all of the country I listen to, although Sirius satelite radio seems to be extra bass-y.

Any questions? Let me know. I've done an install or ten in my life...

Zach
2000/2006ish Ford F-250 Larryette 7.3 Powerstroke 4x4
5" Sewer Pipe Exhaust (video clip), DIY 6637 Intake, Wicked Wheel'd, De-foiled, Missing EBPV, Edge Juice with Attitude, X Code Springs, 33" BFGs (SUCK), Alpine W200, Pioneer "D" Series Kevlar 6x8"s, Sirius Satellite Radio, 12" Memphis Pro Audio Subwoofer.
20x10 Mickey Thompson Classic IIs, waiting on tires

SLAPS Member #153

Just because I kiss the prettiest girls and I drive my truck too fast, why does everybody want to kick my @ss?

Donut Video
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 10:33 PM