Optima BAtteries - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Robts, this thread has received 7 replies and been viewed 1021 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Optima BAtteries

Ok guys need some major help: I getting ready to buy some batteries for the superduty. Im mounting them in the bed so size doesnt matter. I gona be installing a new revised stereo in the summer...Some 2000+ watts plus I have (4) 9" lighting force Hid lights on a light bar up front. I need battery power. What Optima do I buy:shrug:

2004F-SVT Lariat 2005 Cummins 5.9 conversion

August 2007 TDG Truck of the Month

Septmeber 2009 TDG Truck of the Month

2008 TDG Truck of the Year

2005 CR Cummins conversion with destroked motor mounts and tach module.
ARP Studs;Hamilton springs and pushrods
WickedDiesel DragonSlayer CP3 and 5x10.5 inj
Tsperformance MP8; Smarty S06 TNT-R
Speraco Inercooler; Opie Water by-pass;DTT intake elbow
Twin turbos
Grand rock 7" stacks
ATS Stage V 48re Transmission with billet output shaft and Co-pilot
Ford transfer case with ATS input shaft. Thanks to Sogrand for that
4.56 gears with Detroit truetrac. Custom Oasis Diff covers
FarmboyFabrication Ladder bars
(10) Autometer Gauges
6.5" Explorer Procomp lift with Fox Shox
37x13.5x22 Toyos with 22x10 Eagle wheels
2005 front end conversion with McColluch HID lights
Randy Ellias light bar with 4 procomp 130watt lights
Heat exchanger hood; limo tint, recon lights up top and on the mirrors
Optima. Yellow Tops; BilletBadges; Big special thanks to Walley at FTE

My Cummins conversion:https://www.thedieselgarage.com/foru...read.php?t=933
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 01:22 PM

i would say screw the optima and go with kinetics
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 03:54 AM

ive got optima yellow tops in my truck and absolutly hate them! if the truck sits for like a week or so the batterys will be dead, there not even a year old yet eather. the only thing i like about them is there sealed so you can put them in any postion with out leaking. i think im going to try the optima red tops and see how they do?
Ryan
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 06:31 AM
TDG SinglesClub Member#90

I have optima red tops, and have never had a problem with them.

1996 Ford F350, 7.3 PSD, crew cab, 8ft(Line X'd) bed, 4x4, 5 speed manual, 4.11 gears, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 222,000 miles, DP-Tuner Chip NS 1200 high idle stock 60Tow 80econo 120Race, 3x4" down pipe, 4" exhaust straight piped with 5" polished SS tip, gutted EBPV, chrome nerf bars, autometer ultra lite pyro and boost gauges, alpine cd player, alpine speakers, Garmin GPS.

"Real trucks have 3 Pedals, 2 Sticks, and No Spark Plugs"
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator

Optima and ALL other "Dry Cell" or "Gel Cell" type "spill proof" batteries take a TOTALLY different charging rate than the standard flooded lead batteries we have use (with great success) for many years.

Now, if you off-road and get tipped, or run at a track where "spill proof" batteries are required, THEN these types of betteries are a good bet.

Optima claims to combine starting with reserve capacity. Not really. You get a high quality STARTING battery, DEEP CYCLE battery, or MARINE Starting/Deep Cycle, but NEVER more than one of those three options in the same battery.

Starting is how many amps the battery can supply for a SHORT time. This requires a fast electrochemical process and lots of surface area for the reaction.

Deep Cycle is how long a battery can supply a constant and modest load of 25A. This requires slower chemistry, larger thicker plates with a modest surface area.

Marine Starting/Deep Cycle gets away with combining starting and deep cycle properties because they NEVER have to "COLD" crank (defined as 0*F), so these specific batteries can get away with medium fast chemistry, modest plate area and still provide decent cranking. This is because all current batteries rely on chemical processes that occur faster with warmer temperatures.

'93 F-250 HD, 7.3L IDI, 5spd - FARM TRUCK
I Support: Trailer brakes an every axle over the towing vehicle's GVW; CDLs for RVers; Safety inspections for ALL vehicles and 6 axle trucks (97K GVW proposal).

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin

I vote for LIBERTY!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 02:34 AM

very good right up John_G.
Thanks Ryan
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 03:36 PM
Supporting Vendor

I have run red top optimas for a few years, and have had good luck with them as long as I never let them become severely discharged. It seems that once you let it deep discharge, it never has the same capacity again.

I have a couple of Blue-top Optimas powering my camper's inverter, and have been very pleased with them. They are the marine starting version, and they seem to give decent amperage while allowing deep cycling without damage.

BTW, what is different about Kinetic batteries? I hadn't heard of them before (but also haven't been researching them).

Regards,
Michael Pliska

ISSPRO Engineering Manager

1995 F350 PSD Crew Cab Dually, 271k miles
10 ISSPRO Prototype Performax™ gauges in Pillar & Overhead pods & sitting on dash, Tymar Intake, Gutted EBPV, Tymar 3x4" downpipe, Tymar 5" exhaust, Cat's hiding in the shed, Baby Swamps, Swamps tunes, Tricumulator springs and Accumulator Valve, Tru-Cool 4590 Trans Cooler, Lock-Right Locker
1998 S&S 9.5' slide-in camper
32' enclosed tag trailer with 2 drag cars (73 Vega Super-Gas & 74 Vega ET Super-Pro)
1992 GMC Typhoon, 1973 Chevy Blazer with Pontiac 400, 1973 Trans-Am 455
2000 VW Jetta TDI - Kerma tune, Der Chimera Stage II Clutch
NRA member and certified firearms instructor, GOA Life member, IDPA member
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 10:55 PM

I got the red tops no problems here! I will buy them again!!

FOR SALE 2002 F250 4X4 Crew Cab Short Bed Lariat Dark shadow Gray W/ Custom Flame Paint Job in Pearl Silver and Purple Tips Pinstriped in Burple. Icon 12.5" Lift with OneUpOffroad 5" Traction Bar Block system, OUO Drive Line Drop Bracket,Clocked Transfer Case, SS Brake Lines, Dual shocks UpFront,Mickey thompson 38X15.50R18 tires, Wels Racing Dune 8 18X10 wheels,Bushwacker Pocket Fender Flares, Reflexion steel hood, ARE Z Series Shell, chrome Tow Hook,Putco Flame Grille, Trenz billet rear Veiw Mirror & Flame Pedals, New Image Flame Gauges, AFE Stage 2 Cold Air Intake, MBRP, Cools Duals T-304SS w/Custom Flame T-304 SS Tips,Autometer Z Series Pyro,Boost,Tranny Gauges,Loud Kenwoo/Kicker 1600 + RMS Stereo System, Husky Floor Liners, More!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode