The Diesel Garage banner

Problems

3K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  lukesdiesel 
#1 ·
While pulling a grade my RPM's will jump 200-300. Is this my tranny slipping or my TQ converter locking and unlocking? How do I fix?

#2 ·
Sounds like the TC is unlocking to me.
------------------------
C&P from the TDR site-

Lock Up Complaint: Issue 52, page 39, offered an in-depth look at torque converter lock-up. Although the author was specifically talking about the '98.5 and newer trucks, this tip applies to torque converter lock-up on Turbo Diesels '94 and later.

As documented, many people have replaced the TPS or APPS, transmission temperature sensor and numerous other parts trying to correct the ongoing converter clutch problem with varying degrees of success.

Well, for all of the shadetree mechanics in Turbo Diesel land, before replacing any parts or wasting time connecting a scan tool or voltmeter to the electrical circuit, start with the easiest step first.

I have found the cause of the lock-unlock problem to be a frequency-induced electrical noise into the ground circuit of the battery which causes a fluctuating voltage signal from the TPS to the PCM.

The Solution: Locate the 10-gauge ground wire that runs from the negative post of the passenger battery to the back of the alternator. This wire is often tan with a black stripe.

Starting at the back of the alternator loom where the tan/black striped wire heads for the battery, wrap the wire with a piece of tin foil about 4" - 6" in length. Wrap the tin foil with black electrical tape to secure it in place.

Road test the vehicle. If the problem is corrected, smile.

Tony Garcin
Dunrite Converters
Vancouver, WA
(360) 693-3200
-------------------------------

I think just running a new ground wire from the alternator to the pass battery would do the same thing.

#3 ·
I already have a Happi Box that takes care of that probelm........ It could possibly be my TC slipping............. Does not so it all the time though.

#5 ·
Is there another way to check the APPS other than by checking its Voltage??
It Slips on all the Comp's setting but does not do it when the Comp is powered off.

#6 ·
May need to turn up the line pressure some, and/or get a real torque convertor. The stock ones are junk. Hated my stocker.

VERY happy with what I have now, short of having a handshaker. :)

#7 ·
Do you have a v/b? BM could be right, if you have not upped the pressure that could be your problem. I have a v/b and don't have any problems. I am looking at a new t/c though.

#8 ·
How much did you pay for the V/B from Garmons? Who else makes a good V/B that don't break the bank????

:sofa

#10 ·
The problem is that it does not always do it..... This is whats got be baffled....

#11 ·
Thursday I reset my APPS and I also tried the little trick with the aluminum foil around the black and brown wire coming out of the alt..... It worked good for 1 day then it went back to same problems..... what do i do next? I talk to someone at Garmons and they said they can fix for around $300 that it had to do with some bad grounds... I would rather fix this problem myself anyone know what ground wires they would be talking about???? The problem only occurs when I have my comp on...... I have no codes doing the little key trick on the dash...... Any Ideas?????

#12 ·
From DTT's website, NOISE FILTER KW5535 47.00 . If the TC is locking and unlocking this usualyl will fix it. Also get the batterys checked,bad batterys will cause the lock/unlock also.

#13 ·
I have a Happi Box that is a filter that goes between the APPS and the PCM/ECM..... this did not stop the Unlock Lock problem..... I will check my batteries but I believe they are both fairly new......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.