The Diesel Garage banner

here we go again!!!!

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  bismic 
#1 ·
Hi guys,
I have a friend with a 2003 6.0L powerstroke and as of today the engine doesn't start after it has reached operating temp.
It does not cut off,only when you shut off the engine and try to restart it will not start.
The oil pressure guage in the dash isn't read anything at all,only after sitting for about 2 hours it starts again as if nothing has happened.
What could be the problem guys???????

Thanx,
michael

#2 ·
I'm guess there is a leak in the high pressure oil system somewhere.

Reactions: michael8840
#3 ·
sigh,where do you think I should start looking
On the newer models it's almost always the stc fitting,but the 2003 models do not have those.
It's always something else with these engines, sigh,sigh

Thanx guys,
michael

#4 ·
Pull the oil filter and crank the engine looking for oil flow to the filter. Also, are you sure the oil pressure sending unit and wiring are all functional?

If yes to the above .......

On the '03-04 trucks the ball on the side of the H.P. pump can blow out and cause loss of base oil pressure. Out of MANY no start (and low ICP pressure) conditions, most will build base oil pressure if it was a leak on the high side. I won't say it is impossible, but it is very rare for a high side leak to cause a loss of base oil pressure.

Also a H.P. pump seal blow out CAN cause the same type of issue, but it is not common. If it is a high mileage truck, the actual rotor seal back by the gear CAN leak. Symptom might be to run about 5-6 miles before the oil thins out, then stall at idle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.