High frequency noise under load - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Weld engineer, this thread has received 8 replies and been viewed 12183 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 05:52 AM Thread Starter

Garage
High frequency noise under load

Today I was hauling the travel trailer (28ft 8k lbs shaped like a saltine box so it pulls hard) from Yellowstone to Custer state park. I would experience two different hi pitch or hi frequency noises. My wife confirmed it so I am not crazy. It isn't the turbo I have come to know its sound and at approximate boost pressures. Here is the rundown on data.

Scangauge
EOT 235-240
Coolant temp 228-230
Fan 3000-3200 rpm
TFT 196

2500-2700 RPMs
Boost 22-26 psi from analog gauge
Air temp 95 deg
65 mph
AC on med to high

The first time it happened I killed the cruise because it made me nervous. The sound seems to come from passenger then the drivers side and comes and goes. It is very high pitch and only occurs when the fan is around 3k rpm. No degas leaks or anything else out of the ordinary. The truck is running solid and everything seems to be doing its job. The fan is kicking in and nothing seems out of the ordinary. Is it possible the fan clutch is going? Keep in mind new serp and all the pulleys are new. I just back down and don't push it as hard up the hills.

Wyoming is a beautiful state. Trip is going well.

Wes

Early 2004 F-250 4x4 CC 6.0

2nd owner, ARP studs 1 at a time, Some parts missing in the exhaust path, BD intercooler hoses, Blue spring, MC filters, Sinister coolant filter, Exhaust manifold gaskets, WARN lockouts, Gold coolant, zoodad mod, autometer boost gauge, high idle mod, Scangauge 2, SCT X3 tuned from KEM, autometer fuel pressure gauge, Archoil 6200 in the fuel, FICM by Ed w/ATLAS40, autometer pyro gauge,'08 Alum Rear Diff cover, 5w-40 Rotella T6 w/ Archoil 9100 in it, zert in the slip joint, harpooned fuel tank, 6.4 banjos

Not a diesel mechanic in real life but I play one on the Internet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 01:12 PM

Since it's only occuring with the fan clutch engaged, I would suspect the belt is slipping on one or more of the pulleys since the sound is moving from side to side. Another cause could be a slight boost hose leak under load since that is when the noise is occuring. Those are my best guesses so far. Glad the trip is going well, just be safe and try to watch the road more than the gauges. I know my wife accuses me of watching the gauges too much.

Harry

Jan 03' built 6.0/F250cc4wd trqsft/SCT-tuned by KEM-Performance/Garrett Powermax vg-turbo/blue spring mod/gauges=egt+boost+fuel+SG2/exhaust/airaid intake/DR 4.5 lift/dual bilsteins/315's/greasable ball joints/powerstop/smittybuilt/kc lights/high idle mod/roll-n-lock/Mobil Delvac1 ESP 5W40 with (Archoil AR9100 in the oil) and (AR6200 in the fuel)
The Following User Says Thank You to harry6.0 For this addition to TDG:
Weld engineer (08-24-2012)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 01:27 PM

Is it a high pitch whistle? Could be coolant pressure release with those temps and load you have. May be normal high pressure release, you may have a cap going bad, and you may have the start of headgasket issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to lenzhotrod For this addition to TDG:
Weld engineer (08-24-2012)
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenzhotrod View Post
Is it a high pitch whistle? Could be coolant pressure release with those temps and load you have. May be normal high pressure release, you may have a cap going bad, and you may have the start of headgasket issue.
I think it sounds more like a whistle than a harmonic from mechanical movement. We drove all the way out without any noise but my fan was never locking up because the air temp was cooler. I had the tranny cooler fail and had Mercon in the coolant. Everything has been put back to normal but since I replaced the degas cap 6 months ago and didn't consider slapping another new one on. Maybe I"ll pick one up if I get a chance. The sound is very high pitch so maybe the cap is releasing but since it has been exposed to Mercon is not working properly? I have had it at 26psi boost at 225 with no sound and as soon as the temp drops and the fan shuts off or I let off the go pedal is appears to go away. Try to pick up another cap and see what happens - for now I'll just back off a little when the temp is higher. Most of the hill climbing is over its all downhill from here.

Thanks

Wes

2nd owner, ARP studs 1 at a time, Some parts missing in the exhaust path, BD intercooler hoses, Blue spring, MC filters, Sinister coolant filter, Exhaust manifold gaskets, WARN lockouts, Gold coolant, zoodad mod, autometer boost gauge, high idle mod, Scangauge 2, SCT X3 tuned from KEM, autometer fuel pressure gauge, Archoil 6200 in the fuel, FICM by Ed w/ATLAS40, autometer pyro gauge,'08 Alum Rear Diff cover, 5w-40 Rotella T6 w/ Archoil 9100 in it, zert in the slip joint, harpooned fuel tank, 6.4 banjos

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 09:25 PM

The fan is controlled by and grounded thru the PCM. IIRC the PCM sends pulses to the
clutch when it doesn't need full RPMs. Could it be the clutch/fan pulsing back on the belt ?

Maybe check and clean the PCM ground ? reseat the PCM fuse and power relay...?

But my info is from a '06
The Following User Says Thank You to NotMine For this addition to TDG:
Weld engineer (08-25-2012)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 05:23 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotMine View Post
The fan is controlled by and grounded thru the PCM. IIRC the PCM sends pulses to the
clutch when it doesn't need full RPMs. Could it be the clutch/fan pulsing back on the belt ?

Maybe check and clean the PCM ground ? reseat the PCM fuse and power relay...?

But my info is from a '06
I think the PCM is controlling it correctly but I will check it out when I get home. If I get a chance I'll pick up another new degas cap and try it. The fan RPMs seem to be 208ish and below 1000 rpm or less, 216 1300-1400 rpm, 218 2000ish, 228 locks and exceeds engine rpm by 300-400 rpm. Hoping it's just the pressure release of the degas cap and not beginning signs of a HG leak. I have no puking and coolant level is right at the min line where I keep it filled to. The new cap I put on after arps 1 at a time did see alot of Mercon and did pressure release it when my tranny cooler failed and overflowed the cooling system. Didn't really think about it and the dealer who flushed the cooling system didn't mention throwing a new one on.

Just gonna lay off the go pedal a little. Didn't happen on the first 1800 miles.

Wes

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
I picked up a new degas cap but won't be doing any serious towing the rest of this year to get the engine hot again. Might take the old cap apart but for now I think it was just pressure releasing and likes to whistle. I have no signs of HG leak and ran it at 20 psi of boost and 218 deg coolant for hours straight in South
Dakota and Minnesota on the last two days of my trip.

The Following User Says Thank You to Weld engineer For this addition to TDG:
harry6.0 (09-03-2012)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 01:49 PM

I would say it was probably a weak cap, because if you had any combustion gasses building up it would have puked coolant, especially under the loaded conditions you were towing at. I run my coolant level on the low mark in the degas/expansion tank, as I'm sure you probably do as well. Ford recalled the coolant level specs to be set at the low level mark on the tank to allow for more coolant and gas expansion room within the tank. I sometimes wonder though, if one is not running any egr if we could run the coolant level at the high mark again.

Harry

Jan 03' built 6.0/F250cc4wd trqsft/SCT-tuned by KEM-Performance/Garrett Powermax vg-turbo/blue spring mod/gauges=egt+boost+fuel+SG2/exhaust/airaid intake/DR 4.5 lift/dual bilsteins/315's/greasable ball joints/powerstop/smittybuilt/kc lights/high idle mod/roll-n-lock/Mobil Delvac1 ESP 5W40 with (Archoil AR9100 in the oil) and (AR6200 in the fuel)
The Following User Says Thank You to harry6.0 For this addition to TDG:
Weld engineer (09-03-2012)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 12:02 AM

Weld engineer,

Any updates on this thread? Mine's been behaving similarly for years. I've had multiple degass caps, I don't think that's the problem.

I'm getting ready to tear into the top of my engine, so I'd like to repair something *if* we knew what was wrong.

Thank you!

2005-6L/PSD F-250 Lariat CC/SB/4x4:
- MBRP 4" turbo back, Dieselsite coolant bypass filter, Frantz oil bypass filter, X-monitor, Fluidampr, fuel x-over line, intake elbow, EGR cooler delete, wrapped headers and turbo, ARP studs, OEM gaskets, ported heads and manifolds to match, Hot FICM w/ ID Flash, 08+ tranny pan/filter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode