The Diesel Garage banner

coolant levels and changes to it.

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  amdriven2liv 
#1 ·
Ok, I have zero leaks, no venting out the cap, no exhaust gasses in coolant. Zero wetness in EGR valve. I haven't tested pressure. Haven't added a drop of coolant since the last flush over 10,000 miles.

This truck has done this since I owned it. I'm not concerned about, just what do you guys think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2O17lIfsmk

#2 ·
The expansion of trapped air is pushing the coolant level down. I run mine right at the low mark cold and it drops some when hot from the expanded air, but not as low as yours. Where is the coolant level after it sits overnight on level ground? Maybe yours is a little too low when cold, thats my guess.

Harry

#3 ·
you get an A+ for fun video though. :wave

I would agree you have a combination of fluid expansion and pressure changes. Is the truck completely level when this occurs? Does it have the vacuum actuator for the heater core?

#4 · (Edited)
Yes and yes.

Towing after some time, like 50 miles it gets that low. But never any lower. Empty running around town drops the same distance as between the marks on the bottle.

Here is a picture, level ground, after 16 hours of cooling down.

By the way, it has done this for 40,000 miles. :)

I was on a trip this week, waved at Harry from the highway, so I knew I was going to have an opportunity to video this happening.

I have had a lot of mixed reviews from other forums, most suggesting head gaskets and EGR removal.

Attachments

#5 ·
for 12 $ throw a new cap on and see if it changes.

#7 ·
Thanks for the wave amdriven, let me know next time your passing by so I can wave back. Anyhow, I think if you just add a little more coolant/water to the low line cold and see how it does. If your not puking or having to add any I think your fine. My stock cap wouldn't hold enough pressure and my new one does, I think your cap is likely all good.

Your coolant and reservoir look nice and clean, which is a good thing.

Harry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.