Update, now puking - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Levi'sford, this thread has received 31 replies and been viewed 2821 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Update, now puking

Well still haven't figured out my truck. Shop wanted me to return to stock ECM tune and see what ECT temps were like then. No change. They asked me to put a load on the truck to see how hot it would get, but not to overheat it. Pull over at 230. It was 39 degrees this morning when I hooked up to my 20' gooseneck with Massey Furguson loader and went for a drive. No mountain passes, but some pretty good hills. Got EOT up to 223 and ECT to 218. Couldn't really put petal down as EGTs would hit 1250-1300 quick on any hills going 40-50 MPH. Could maintain 45 mph at 1150-1200. Got back and popped hood to find white residue on degas bottle. Never smelled coolant, and have never has residue on degas bottle. Truck is studded (ford gaskets and machined heads), Bullet Proof Oil cooler and Bullet Proof remote oil cooler. Never saw boost over 20-22psi on the CTS...

Shop had truck last week and pressure tested truck in same condition and said gaskets were fine, but it wasn't under a load.

Still running the Wicked Wheel

Not sure what to do now. This is my frustrated vent post. And yes I know you pay to play, just wasn't planning on paying quite this much. Oh well...

2015 F350 Platinum, Crew Cab, Long Bed, 3.55, FX4, B&W Turnover Ball, Firestone Riderites w/ compressor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 06:49 PM

Garage
Was it wet? White residue could easily be salt brine. If it puked you should see it I don't think it will dry that fast.
What is your fan speed while driving? I was tooling around this morning with the plow on and my fan was about 80. No air flow, tA2 was 160 deg so my air going into the engine was hot and CAC basically not cooling things off. I got on it and easily hit 1300 EGT which is tough to do normally. I still think you have a serious air flow issue thru your grille but that's just my opinion.

My plow restrictricting air flow simulates your issue.

Wes

Early 2004 F-250 4x4 CC 6.0

2nd owner, ARP studs 1 at a time, Some parts missing in the exhaust path, BD intercooler hoses, Blue spring, MC filters, Sinister coolant filter, Exhaust manifold gaskets, WARN lockouts, Gold coolant, zoodad mod, autometer boost gauge, high idle mod, Scangauge 2, SCT X3 tuned from KEM, autometer fuel pressure gauge, Archoil 6200 in the fuel, FICM by Ed w/ATLAS40, autometer pyro gauge,'08 Alum Rear Diff cover, 5w-40 Rotella T6 w/ Archoil 9100 in it, zert in the slip joint, harpooned fuel tank, 6.4 banjos

Not a diesel mechanic in real life but I play one on the Internet
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Wes it wasn't wet, just crusty white residue. I wiped it clean and will see if it does it again. I removed my logo and extra stuff in front of the grill. I know Ford design their grills for a reason, but this thing is pretty open compared to the factory grill it replaced. I've never blown my head gaskets before, did head studs as a preventative measure. What is salt brine? How does it get there?
I can't see fan speed with my CTS. So it's hard for me to trouble shoot other than when I hear the fan at around 208-210 it does cool it down quickly. Honestly ECT didn't get as hot as I expected with that load, still not comfortable towing a mountain pass in the summer, but it was cooler than I expected.

2015 F350 Platinum, Crew Cab, Long Bed, 3.55, FX4, B&W Turnover Ball, Firestone Riderites w/ compressor
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 07:24 PM

Garage
Salt from the road. In MI everything gets a good coat of salt from them spreading it on icy roads. I'd get a scangauge you can see fan speed with the Xgauges.

2nd owner, ARP studs 1 at a time, Some parts missing in the exhaust path, BD intercooler hoses, Blue spring, MC filters, Sinister coolant filter, Exhaust manifold gaskets, WARN lockouts, Gold coolant, zoodad mod, autometer boost gauge, high idle mod, Scangauge 2, SCT X3 tuned from KEM, autometer fuel pressure gauge, Archoil 6200 in the fuel, FICM by Ed w/ATLAS40, autometer pyro gauge,'08 Alum Rear Diff cover, 5w-40 Rotella T6 w/ Archoil 9100 in it, zert in the slip joint, harpooned fuel tank, 6.4 banjos

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

We get salt and slush but I've never seen any residue up there. Time to check the fan. Thhx

post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 08:28 PM
Stuck in Commiefornia...

Garage
Here me out on this. White residue from coolant is the silicate based coolant drying on the top of the bottle. If your bottle has an old cap, check the sealing surface of the bottle, there is a little raised bead on it, make sure it has no nicks or dings, or it creates a path for coolant to escape under pressure. Then check the cap itself. If it's the original,or more than 3 years or 50k on it, just replace it. The full level cold should be an inch user the minimum line, the trick here is mark it with a sharpie when it's cold. Park in the same place, check it on successive mornings after you use the truck just like you did today.

Now to address another issue. The EGTs are a killer. You should be seeing peak boost around 29-32psi. You want more boost. If the tune isn't making boost, you need a different tune. Basically, the more air you put in the lower your EGT will be at any given point. So if you have a stok tune that with a stock turbo only makes 25 psi because it's one of those later strategies ford concocted, get a tune that commands more boost with stock fuel. Because a Powermax has a larger turbine than stock, the exhaust back pressure tables need to be rewritten, especially on an inferred EBP strategy.

Another area to consider is the intake manifold may need to be cleaned. You may not be getting enough air to the rear cylinders, causing them to run very hot. This is where the intake manifolds really suck. Unfortunately, they are stupid expensive to upgrade and that doesn't solve your issue. But perhaps a good application or two of Seafoam might improve things.

Finally, take the truck, run it up a hill, stop at the top, and check the temp of the charge cooler inlet and outlet with a temp gun if you can. The discharge should be a bunch cooler than the inlet.

One other thing, on a 6.0L, your tune vendor can change the fan engagement points on these trucks. I always ran mine so that the low speed setting was 195 and high speed was 210. That's about 10-15 cooler than stock. Sounds silly but it makes a huge difference. I wish the 7.3 had the same ability, that's a great system.

The Current Truck (Oct-2013 to Present):
1999 (Early) F-350 Lariat, CCLB, SRW, Black/Tan

7.3L Powerstroke, 4R100, 4x4, 3.73, 37x13.50-18s, '05 Axle Swap, 6" Fabtech lift, GTP38 "D66" turbo upgrade, SCT 4-position chip with custom tuning by me, Straight Piped 4" down pipe through 5" dual stacks, N-Fab full length triple steps, Pro-Tech cab guard and tool box, louvered 5th wheel gate, Hella 500 Fog and Driving lamps, much more to come...
The one I'll miss, (Mar-2009 to Jan-2014):
2000 Excursion XLT 4x4

6.8L V-10, 4R100, 4.30, 285/75-18, 271whp / 388wtq
The one I won't, (Jul-2005 to Sep-2012):
2005 F-350 XLT, CCLB, SRW, 4x4 FX4

6.0L PSD, ZF-6S650, 3.73, 35x12.5-18, 4.5" Lift
The Following User Says Thank You to IdahoF350 For this addition to TDG:
Levi'sford (02-22-2014)
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Good info. I think it's the factory cap. I will go,pick up a new one. My next mod was going to be a ported intake. You read my mind on the fan temps with tunes. I just ordered he tunes and am hoping to incorporate the fan coming on at lower speeds. I will check coolest level. It may be a bit high. As always thanks for all the info. Although this forum isn't as active as others, there are some great people on here.

On a side note. Knowing my set up, what current turbo would you recommend? I'm thinking of trying something different.

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Idaho am I checking coolant level to see if I'm using coolant or to make sure it's not overfill or both?

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 03:06 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi'sford View Post
Good info. I think it's the factory cap. I will go,pick up a new one. My next mod was going to be a ported intake. You read my mind on the fan temps with tunes. I just ordered he tunes and am hoping to incorporate the fan coming on at lower speeds. I will check coolest level. It may be a bit high. As always thanks for all the info. Although this forum isn't as active as others, there are some great people on here.

On a side note. Knowing my set up, what current turbo would you recommend? I'm thinking of trying something different.
Idaho has good points and is way more knowledgeable. Your experience basically mimics my truck with fewer mods when I have something obstructing the airflow - snowplow. My EGTs are never as high as they were today when I got on it (nice sunny day with no snow on the roads). My iA1 (temp at the air filter) was 62 deg F. Real temp was 30 deg today. The iA2 was 160 ish. This is way higher than normal. I took the plow off and did the same thing with iA2 around 80 deg and my EGTs were normal around 1100. All of this was at my max 26psi of boost. My truck will never build more than that.

I followed your other post and still think you have a lack of air flow or superheated air issue with all the heat exchangers in your front end. I don't doubt you have a possible lack of air as Idaho350 indicated but since everything cools off fast when the fan kicks on it's the same as my plow issue. The SG2 will tell you fan speed and I'd bet $20 yours is not spinning more than 200 RPMs when it should be 450 or higher in a non locked non pulsing situation. Definitely get those tunes installed with the fan kicking on sooner and get a sg2 to verify that it is spinning the commanded speed. I don't understand why the fan locks up at the high temps it does. If I buy more tunes I'm going to have it pulse (spin faster ) at more like 205 and lock at 215. It might hurt mileage but I running cooler is a proven advantage on this engine. Still would like to know the difference in the two fan clutches available. If anyone knows please chime in. There is one for the plow package and one for stock. Is it just heavy duty clutch or does it spin faster in the unlocked mode?

post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 02:46 PM

http://www.madturbowerks.com/index.p...how&Itemid=147
http://www.madturbowerks.com/index.p...=17&Itemid=143

If your going to switch out the turbo, my suggestion would be to talk to Adrian at madturbowerks. He may be able to come up with a good solution for a correct replacement application turbo as I believe your root cause of the high temp everything is the turbo not flowing correctly for your high altitude location. A smaller quicker spooling turbo would work better for high altitude mountainess driving.

I sure hope you can get this issue resolved, it must be driving you nuts, hang in there, we all want to see your truck working right.

Harry

Jan 03' built 6.0/F250cc4wd trqsft/SCT-tuned by KEM-Performance/Garrett Powermax vg-turbo/blue spring mod/gauges=egt+boost+fuel+SG2/exhaust/airaid intake/DR 4.5 lift/dual bilsteins/315's/greasable ball joints/powerstop/smittybuilt/kc lights/high idle mod/roll-n-lock/Mobil Delvac1 ESP 5W40 with (Archoil AR9100 in the oil) and (AR6200 in the fuel)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode