Question for the 6.0 experts. - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by rickou812, this thread has received 8 replies and been viewed 1492 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
THE SILVER BULLET

Garage
Question for the 6.0 experts.

The truck is a 2003 F250 6.0/auto with 188,000 miles. No emissions stuff, with SCT tuning. No issues what so ever.
I was heading home from the Gatornationals pulling a 40ft 5th wheel on I75 averaging 75mph. It was raining pretty heavily and the truck engine just died without any warning, just like the key was turned off. No dash lights came on or anything. I coasted to a stop. Tried to restart, the engine turned over normally, but would not run, no smoke..etc. Dash lights came on appropriately when turning key on and off.
I checked the oil level and it was perfect.

So I figured the HPOP must have went south. Started trying to get a hold of towing companies. After about 15 - 20 minuted talking to various people on the phone trying to get a tow truck that would tow my truck and 5th wheel as 1 unit, I decided to try and start it again and she fired up, ran about 10 -15 seconds and died again. I tried to start again, and she fired up and ran about 30 seconds, long enough to actually start pulling the 5th wheel about 100 ft, and died again. I started her again, and she has ran fine since. I actually was able to pull the 5th wheel another 180 miles home without issue.

Sooooo, I am thinking it had to be something electrical, possibly rain related.
With the symptoms basically being the engine acted as if the ignition key was turned off. Where should I focus my attention. I would assume I need to be checking connectors and wire chaffing..

Thoughts?
Rick

2003 F250 CC 2WD 6.0 January build date. >200,000 miles and running strong.
MODS include: Fuel system with adjustable regulator, SCT, 4" turbo back.
CAN YOU KEEP UP ??

Last edited by rickou812; 03-17-2014 at 09:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 03:04 AM

Recommend purchasing a ScanGaugeII and code in the 6.0 diesel X-gauge commands and monitor the FICM and ICP and FICM sync and oil and coolant temps.

Also, were there any stored fault codes from this malfunction event?

Harry

Jan 03' built 6.0/F250cc4wd trqsft/SCT-tuned by KEM-Performance/Garrett Powermax vg-turbo/blue spring mod/gauges=egt+boost+fuel+SG2/exhaust/airaid intake/DR 4.5 lift/dual bilsteins/315's/greasable ball joints/powerstop/smittybuilt/kc lights/high idle mod/roll-n-lock/Mobil Delvac1 ESP 5W40 with (Archoil AR9100 in the oil) and (AR6200 in the fuel)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 03:39 AM Thread Starter
THE SILVER BULLET
Threadstarter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry6.0 View Post
Recommend purchasing a ScanGaugeII and code in the 6.0 diesel X-gauge commands and monitor the FICM and ICP and FICM sync and oil and coolant temps.

Also, were there any stored fault codes from this malfunction event?

Harry
I have a scangaugeII on the way. It did not set any "new" codes. To clarify, it always has the ICP sensor code and PO1000. I have a bad sensor and have had it unplugged for over 10,000 miles without issue. I got tired of replacing sensors and found no depreciable performance loss running off the failure ICP tables, but that is a different discussion..

I feel it must have been a wire chaffing incident, as I don't know of anything else that would have resolved itself, but even that is odd, since I did not disturb any harnesses and it restarted..
The most likely causes that come to mind:
HPOP ball poped out - can't be the issue since it resolved itself
LPOP failure - can't be the issue since it resolved itself
FICM - possible, but since it was running, quit, then restarted and runs fine, will check voltages and wiring harness.
ICR screen - Possible, but is going to be a pain in the *** to check..

Any other likely causes?
Rick

CAN YOU KEEP UP ??
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 02:22 PM

Fuel pump issue or bad connection for fuel pump power supply, is a possiblity.

PO1000 is a self tests not completed code from the pcm monitoring of the obd2 system, nothing to really worry about, and may be there due to the SCT and whatever type of tuning your running or due to the ICP being unplugged.

With your ICP unplugged and the ICP values resorting to a pre determined value scale, it could be your issue under certain load conditions. But should have restarted unless a hi-press leak was intermittently present, like a stuck open IPR.

Hopefully when you get your ScanGaugeII hooked up things will be more clear on whats going on.

Having a fuel pressure gauge helps too. I have an sender unit installed on my secondary fuel bowl test port and wired into an electronic stepper motor gauge on the dash, so I can see fuel pressures at all times.

Harry

Jan 03' built 6.0/F250cc4wd trqsft/SCT-tuned by KEM-Performance/Garrett Powermax vg-turbo/blue spring mod/gauges=egt+boost+fuel+SG2/exhaust/airaid intake/DR 4.5 lift/dual bilsteins/315's/greasable ball joints/powerstop/smittybuilt/kc lights/high idle mod/roll-n-lock/Mobil Delvac1 ESP 5W40 with (Archoil AR9100 in the oil) and (AR6200 in the fuel)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
THE SILVER BULLET
Threadstarter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry6.0 View Post
Fuel pump issue or bad connection for fuel pump power supply, is a possiblity.

PO1000 is a self tests not completed code from the pcm monitoring of the obd2 system, nothing to really worry about, and may be there due to the SCT and whatever type of tuning your running or due to the ICP being unplugged.

With your ICP unplugged and the ICP values resorting to a pre determined value scale, it could be your issue under certain load conditions. But should have restarted unless a hi-press leak was intermittently present, like a stuck open IPR.

Hopefully when you get your ScanGaugeII hooked up things will be more clear on whats going on.

Having a fuel pressure gauge helps too. I have an sender unit installed on my secondary fuel bowl test port and wired into an electronic stepper motor gauge on the dash, so I can see fuel pressures at all times.

Harry
I do have a fuel pressure gauge installed. But, unfortunately I did not think to look at it during the event, as I was trying to get off the highway without getting ran over by the 85mph semi's..lol. After she re-fired, I thought about it, but it was of course fine then.
I have a boost referenced fuel pressure regulator and in cab gauge.
I was kicking myself for not thinking to check fuel pressure when it happened, even mentioned it to my wife after we got going again...
BUT, when she did re-fire, it was not like it ran out of fuel. When it re-fired there was no stumble or anything as if air was in lines, it ran perfect.

I am started to think the IPR is where I need to focus first.

CAN YOU KEEP UP ??

Last edited by rickou812; 03-18-2014 at 04:04 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 09:19 PM
Stuck in Commiefornia...

Garage
First thing you need to do is get the ICP sensor back in operation. You can argue tht it runs fine without it, but you are likely overworking the IPR to the point that it could be the problem. If you're tired of replacing it, relocate it to a better location on a hard line, or convert to the later passenger side valve cover location.

So the next thing is, the tuning of the engine is highly dependent on the feedback from the ICP. As a tuner, if you asked me to write a tune for your truck and told me you had the ICP disconnected I would not tune it until you fixed it. Most tuners will take the same stance, and if you get a tuner that tells you they will write a tune that "tunes around" the ICP, you're not dealing with a very knowledgable tuner, and you should realize that if they are willing to cut corners to get your money, then te rest of their tuning is not likely the most developed or refined and they would be someone to avoid.

Towing at 75mph, you're asking the engine to work at a moderately difficult load. In order for the engine to operate at that demand, you really need all systems functional. You need a functional ICP to know if your HPO system is operating at the correct pressures. Fix your truck. There are solutions that can prevent repeat future replacements.

The Current Truck (Oct-2013 to Present):
1999 (Early) F-350 Lariat, CCLB, SRW, Black/Tan

7.3L Powerstroke, 4R100, 4x4, 3.73, 37x13.50-18s, '05 Axle Swap, 6" Fabtech lift, GTP38 "D66" turbo upgrade, SCT 4-position chip with custom tuning by me, Straight Piped 4" down pipe through 5" dual stacks, N-Fab full length triple steps, Pro-Tech cab guard and tool box, louvered 5th wheel gate, Hella 500 Fog and Driving lamps, much more to come...
The one I'll miss, (Mar-2009 to Jan-2014):
2000 Excursion XLT 4x4

6.8L V-10, 4R100, 4.30, 285/75-18, 271whp / 388wtq
The one I won't, (Jul-2005 to Sep-2012):
2005 F-350 XLT, CCLB, SRW, 4x4 FX4

6.0L PSD, ZF-6S650, 3.73, 35x12.5-18, 4.5" Lift
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 02:25 PM

This can show you where to look.
chafe locations.pdf
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lenzhotrod For this addition to TDG:
harry6.0 (04-11-2014), ranger518 (04-14-2014)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 11:38 PM

possible if it was moisture shorting something out, sitting for half an hour with engine heat drying stuff out, it fixed itself. I concur running with sensors unplugged is a stopgap to get you home or for diagnostic purposes. figure out why you have multiple failures. heat shielding lost? etc.

Canadian Club #31
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 01:22 PM

I see it is an 03. Those HPOP can spin inside their housing and duplicate your problem. But you MUST FIX your ICP sensor.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode