ScanGuage II Sucks - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by eco-rich, this thread has received 16 replies and been viewed 2372 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
ScanGuage II Sucks

It turns out that my ScanGuage II sucks a lot of amperage through the fuse which is used to power the cigarette lighter.
In the past, I powered a small inverter or a small compressor off the cigarette lighter outlet.
Since the ScanGuage II install, both the compressor or the inverter will blow the cig lighter fuse.

When the fuse blows the ScanGuage II goes out too.
When I install a new 20 amp fuse there is a pretty good spark at the fuse when it is inserted - and the ScanGuage II immediately turns on with some type of "reset" message on it's screen.

Guess it's time to buy a new truck with the built-in AC outlet.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 12:24 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco-rich View Post
It turns out that my ScanGuage II sucks a lot of amperage through the fuse which is used to power the cigarette lighter.
In the past, I powered a small inverter or a small compressor off the cigarette lighter outlet.
Since the ScanGuage II install, both the compressor or the inverter will blow the cig lighter fuse.

When the fuse blows the ScanGuage II goes out too.
When I install a new 20 amp fuse there is a pretty good spark at the fuse when it is inserted - and the ScanGuage II immediately turns on with some type of "reset" message on it's screen.

Guess it's time to buy a new truck with the built-in AC outlet.

Can't see how it would draw more than and amp or so. It's just listening to the Canbus in your truck. I would contact linear logic it may have a short or something. I know mine doesn't suck.

Early 2004 F-250 4x4 CC 6.0

2nd owner, ARP studs 1 at a time, Some parts missing in the exhaust path, BD intercooler hoses, Blue spring, MC filters, Sinister coolant filter, Exhaust manifold gaskets, WARN lockouts, Gold coolant, zoodad mod, autometer boost gauge, high idle mod, Scangauge 2, SCT X3 tuned from KEM, autometer fuel pressure gauge, Archoil 6200 in the fuel, FICM by Ed w/ATLAS40, autometer pyro gauge,'08 Alum Rear Diff cover, 5w-40 Rotella T6 w/ Archoil 9100 in it, zert in the slip joint, harpooned fuel tank, 6.4 banjos

Not a diesel mechanic in real life but I play one on the Internet
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 12:50 AM
Old Fart

Garage
Something is wrong with ScanGauge II. Don't use it, as it might have a short in it, as Weld said.

Dave

2004 Ford F-350 Regular cab with 6.0.
Completely Stock.

KK6TNI - HAM Radio

http://bennettlaneshopping.com/ - Our Outdoor/Garden and Kitchen Ware store
The Following User Says Thank You to dbennett48 For this addition to TDG:
Weld engineer (04-29-2014)
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 02:18 AM

1. possibly wiring in cig lighter circuit compromised
2. possible something wrong with the cig lighter outlet (they can short circuit when something is plugged in)
3. possibly something wrong with ScanGauge as mentioned, but would be first I've heard of causing a large parasitic draw from these devices.

Harry

Jan 03' built 6.0/F250cc4wd trqsft/SCT-tuned by KEM-Performance/Garrett Powermax vg-turbo/blue spring mod/gauges=egt+boost+fuel+SG2/exhaust/airaid intake/DR 4.5 lift/dual bilsteins/315's/greasable ball joints/powerstop/smittybuilt/kc lights/high idle mod/roll-n-lock/Mobil Delvac1 ESP 5W40 with (Archoil AR9100 in the oil) and (AR6200 in the fuel)
The Following User Says Thank You to harry6.0 For this addition to TDG:
Weld engineer (04-29-2014)
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 02:43 AM

Forgot to mention, most of the time when I see cig lighter fuses blown, it's from a faulty cord thats being plugged in, for instance a bad phone charger cord blowing the lighter fuse is very common. If both devices your plugging in are doing this, then thats not it, but if only one of the devices is causing it, take a closer look at the power cord.

Harry

Jan 03' built 6.0/F250cc4wd trqsft/SCT-tuned by KEM-Performance/Garrett Powermax vg-turbo/blue spring mod/gauges=egt+boost+fuel+SG2/exhaust/airaid intake/DR 4.5 lift/dual bilsteins/315's/greasable ball joints/powerstop/smittybuilt/kc lights/high idle mod/roll-n-lock/Mobil Delvac1 ESP 5W40 with (Archoil AR9100 in the oil) and (AR6200 in the fuel)
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry6.0 View Post
Forgot to mention, most of the time when I see cig lighter fuses blown, it's from a faulty cord thats being plugged in, for instance a bad phone charger cord blowing the lighter fuse is very common. If both devices your plugging in are doing this, then thats not it, but if only one of the devices is causing it, take a closer look at the power cord.

Harry
One device is an inverter to keep the laptop charged.
The other device is a small compressor (think "mini-compressor")
Each device alone works properly when plugged into the cig lighter.
The cigarette lighter works too.
Its only when the ScanGuage II is connected does the cig lighter not support the other devices.
Note: exception is cell phone charging - very low current draw. Even the inverter will run for a short period of time - maybe 15 - 20 seconds before the fuse will blow.

Ford factory manual shows a 20 amp fuse at location #12 for the cig lighter and the OBDII port.
A search of the ScanGuage II website and product manual did not find the current draw for their device.

I suspect that my ScanGuage II draws more power than one would expect or mine is defective (even though it works properly in every other aspect).

The Following User Says Thank You to eco-rich For this addition to TDG:
harry6.0 (04-30-2014)
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 04:07 AM

I suspect you may be right, thanks for the clear explanation Rich.

I wouldn't think the ScanGaugeII should draw much more than 1 to 3amps at the most. Even an electric fuel pump ony draws around 8amps average.

Only way to know for sure is to jump an amp meter inline through the fuse or use a circuit breaker installed through the fuse and monitor dc current draw with a meter or high quality amp clamp, preferably one that reads milliamps (1000mA = 1 Amp).

I've used both my phone charger / portable gps / portable dvd player with no issues on our truck.

I would contact Linear Logic, the manufacturer of ScanGauge and pick there brain, they may have an answer. They usually respond to all questions.

Harry

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 04:15 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry6.0 View Post
I suspect you may be right, thanks for the clear explanation Rich.

I wouldn't think the ScanGaugeII should draw much more than 1 to 3amps at the most. Even an electric fuel pump ony draws around 8amps average.

Only way to know for sure is to jump an amp meter inline through the fuse or use a circuit breaker installed through the fuse and monitor dc current draw with a meter or high quality amp clamp, preferably one that reads milliamps (1000mA = 1 Amp).

I've used both my phone charger / portable gps / portable dvd player with no issues on our truck.

I would contact Linear Logic, the manufacturer of ScanGauge and pick there brain, they may have an answer. They usually respond to all questions.

Harry
I sent an email to linear logic. It's basically like a USB or Ethernet device and I can't imagine it draws much more than 1 amp.

2nd owner, ARP studs 1 at a time, Some parts missing in the exhaust path, BD intercooler hoses, Blue spring, MC filters, Sinister coolant filter, Exhaust manifold gaskets, WARN lockouts, Gold coolant, zoodad mod, autometer boost gauge, high idle mod, Scangauge 2, SCT X3 tuned from KEM, autometer fuel pressure gauge, Archoil 6200 in the fuel, FICM by Ed w/ATLAS40, autometer pyro gauge,'08 Alum Rear Diff cover, 5w-40 Rotella T6 w/ Archoil 9100 in it, zert in the slip joint, harpooned fuel tank, 6.4 banjos

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Weld engineer For this addition to TDG:
eco-rich (04-30-2014), harry6.0 (04-30-2014)
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 04:26 AM

I just thought of something. Maybe try it with just the SG2 cord plugged into the OBD2 with out the SG2 hooked up. If it still blows the fuse with just the SG2 cord, then it's a faulty cord.

Harry

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 11:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weld engineer View Post
I sent an email to linear logic. It's basically like a USB or Ethernet device and I can't imagine it draws much more than 1 amp.
The response.

The ScanGauge II should not drain the vehicle's battery or cause a fuse to blow. The SG2 draws 2mA when the vehicle is turned off. With the vehicle and ScanGauge on with full brightness the draw is 100mA. The cigarette lighter and the OBDII port use the same fuse in some vehicles. In one post the customer mentioned it only happens when the ScanGauge is plugged in and when his cell phone is charging. I am curious if it happens when just the ScanGauge is plugged in with no other devices/inverters plugged in. If it happens when his cellphone is charging as well, it may not be an issue with the unit but may be an issue with the wiring. It is possible that the cable or unit may have a short in it, testing out just the cable plugged in like harry6.0 suggested will tell me if it is the cable or the unit. Please let this customer know to contact us, so I can ask a few clarifying questions.

Regards,

Cristina Bollinger
Repairs and Technical Support
Linear Logic

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Weld engineer For this addition to TDG:
eco-rich (05-01-2014), harry6.0 (05-01-2014)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode