CCV Mod In Extreme Cold - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by wvsdmf11, this thread has received 15 replies and been viewed 2090 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
CCV Mod In Extreme Cold

I am looking to do a CCV mod to my truck as soon as possible. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what kind of kit to use? I live in north dakota where we can see ambient temps of -50 in the winter I've heard these can freeze up and cause large amounts of crankcase back pressure. What could be damaged if I did this to my truck? I know what can happen with to much back pressure I just wanted to know if everything goes god what could happen bad by this mod? Thanks for yalls help.

2006 CC LB FX4 ARP Head Studs, OEM Head Gaskets, Sinister Diesel EGR Delete, Sinister Diesel Coolant Filter, AFE Stage II Sealed Cold Air Intake, Autometer Factory Matched Pyro & Fuel Pressure Gauges, 4" MBRP Turbo Back, SCT Livewire TS-Mounted in Gauge Pod Using Edge CTS Mounts (Slight Modification Required), Blue Spring Upgrade, Updated STC Fitting, Update Dummy Plugs, Updated Stand Pipes, Pioneer In-Dash DVD Player, Bilstein 5100 Shocks and Steering Stabalizer, .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 04:38 AM

I don't see an issue as long as the plumbing is large enough and flows downward into a vented catch can system

But with a delete, your not mixing egr soot into the intake, and actually the detergents in the motor oil vapors can decarbonize the intake system as long as no egr gasses are present.

I don't see pcv as an issue without egr present.

Harry

Jan 03' built 6.0/F250cc4wd trqsft/SCT-tuned by KEM-Performance/Garrett Powermax vg-turbo/blue spring mod/gauges=egt+boost+fuel+SG2/exhaust/airaid intake/DR 4.5 lift/dual bilsteins/315's/greasable ball joints/powerstop/smittybuilt/kc lights/high idle mod/roll-n-lock/Mobil Delvac1 ESP 5W40 with (Archoil AR9100 in the oil) and (AR6200 in the fuel)
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
What would you recommend that I do? What kind of system should I use?

2006 CC LB FX4 ARP Head Studs, OEM Head Gaskets, Sinister Diesel EGR Delete, Sinister Diesel Coolant Filter, AFE Stage II Sealed Cold Air Intake, Autometer Factory Matched Pyro & Fuel Pressure Gauges, 4" MBRP Turbo Back, SCT Livewire TS-Mounted in Gauge Pod Using Edge CTS Mounts (Slight Modification Required), Blue Spring Upgrade, Updated STC Fitting, Update Dummy Plugs, Updated Stand Pipes, Pioneer In-Dash DVD Player, Bilstein 5100 Shocks and Steering Stabalizer, .
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
I thought most motor oils dont have detergent in them anymore? I due run the Archoil 9100 though. Will you please explain more as to how a filter gas can decarbonize my intake? I was looking at one of these systems. http://www.maesco.com/products/racor...ccv_intro.html

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 04:47 AM

The link you provided shows different filtration/separator setups. Those are fine as long as they don't clog up. Those all look like really good separators and filters.

The pro's of ccv mod vented to atmosphere or filtered well...no oil soaked intercooler boots.

The con's...if vented to the atmosphere...you get a smell in the cab...unless dumped well to the rear.

What I meant by the oil fumes cleaning the intake, is that with just the oil vapors alone it will eventually soften and break up existing carbon build up from previously run egr gasses. Diesel motor oil still carries detergents and dispersants who's job it is to clean.

Harry

Jan 03' built 6.0/F250cc4wd trqsft/SCT-tuned by KEM-Performance/Garrett Powermax vg-turbo/blue spring mod/gauges=egt+boost+fuel+SG2/exhaust/airaid intake/DR 4.5 lift/dual bilsteins/315's/greasable ball joints/powerstop/smittybuilt/kc lights/high idle mod/roll-n-lock/Mobil Delvac1 ESP 5W40 with (Archoil AR9100 in the oil) and (AR6200 in the fuel)
The Following User Says Thank You to harry6.0 For this addition to TDG:
wvsdmf11 (05-20-2014)
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
The reason I want to do it is to keep the oil of my boots and outta my intercooler. I want to step up to a performance intercool/turbo/boots. I dont want the new intercooler getting robbed of performance because it gets oil in it, and I dont want the new boots to be weakend by the oil. I also am tired of the little bit of oil burning off when I fire up the truck. Just a little puff of smoke nothing abnormal but I don't like it. I think that after the filter i will reroute it back into the intake like it comes factory. They say that filter will trap all of the oil mist and keep it out of the intake. It also drains back into the oil pan from the filter which I think is pretty nice.

The Following User Says Thank You to wvsdmf11 For this addition to TDG:
harry6.0 (05-20-2014)
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 03:30 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvsdmf11 View Post
The reason I want to do it is to keep the oil of my boots and outta my intercooler. I want to step up to a performance intercool/turbo/boots. I dont want the new intercooler getting robbed of performance because it gets oil in it, and I dont want the new boots to be weakend by the oil. I also am tired of the little bit of oil burning off when I fire up the truck. Just a little puff of smoke nothing abnormal but I don't like it. I think that after the filter i will reroute it back into the intake like it comes factory. They say that filter will trap all of the oil mist and keep it out of the intake. It also drains back into the oil pan from the filter which I think is pretty nice.
Just remove the 90 degree plastic elbow from the air intake...point it back and hose clamp a 3 foot piece of heater hose to it pointing to the ground. then plug the intake with a small freeze plug, RTV and clamp. Maybe 30 minutes and $5. Did mine about 5 years ago.

Cured the smoke start up and oily boots. Although I did have one person tell me i needed to put it back because that oil helped lubricate the turbo....

2005 250 Super Duty Crew. White and Grey. ARP studs, EGR Delete, and SCT from Vivian. CCV re-route, and 4" Magnaflow turbo back.

Other trucks:1980 KW Ext hood, 1982 Kenworth Cabover Aerodyne (BJ and the Bear) 2000 and 2003 Kenworth W900's. 2003 Pete EXHD. All Caterpillar Power. My 2003 has an MBN I converted to 6NZ. Early 550 file, 211-3025 squirts. 800 cam. Acert twins via custom mount. ARP head bolts.

Transporter and Operator of a Bauer Built Championship Unlimited Tractor Pulling Sled for the United Pullers of the Carolinas, Region IV affiliate of the National Tractor Pullers Association (NTPA), and damn proud of it!!!!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
Harry i need some more advice here. Everyone is saying different things about the ccv mod. i know i want to go with a 1 inch hose but with a closed system i just don't know what kind of filter to get that won't break the bank or put me at risk for blowing seals out by causing to much pressure. Thanks for your help.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 03:54 AM

You could run the hose in/out of something like this....
http://www.scheiddiesel.com/Crankcas...-Turbo-Diesel/

Harry

The Following User Says Thank You to harry6.0 For this addition to TDG:
wvsdmf11 (06-19-2014)
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 04:21 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
Thanks!!! Just mount it to the frame rail? Then back into the inlet in the intake? You think that small return line would cause of pressurization of the crankcase?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode