Motorcraft Gold vs Rotella ELC Ultra - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by snowgoose, this thread has received 6 replies and been viewed 5422 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Motorcraft Gold vs Rotella ELC Ultra

Does anyone know what happens if the two are mixed in a 6.0? We put some of each in a glass jar and so far they mix quite well - no indication of incompatibility.

I realize that mixing in a jar is not the same as running in a 6.0. Just wondering what really happens if they are mixed.

2006, F-350, 6.0, 4x4, Lariat, crew cab, long bed with Leer 180 shell
MagnaFlow 4" turbo back exhaust system
DC Power Engineering 190 amp alternator
Firestone 2400 Ride-Rite air bags
Ranch Hand Legend grill guard
Isspro four gauge pillar set
HID Bi-Xenon headlights
HFCM water drain plug
Fumoto oil drain valve
Accufab intake elbow
Bilstein 5100 shocks
Ctek batteries tender
DFuser coolant filter
Rotella Ultra ELC
Blue Spring mod
Bilstein stabilizer
ScanGauge II
Up-idle mod
Zoodad
Archoil (AR9100, AR6200) & PRI-D & PRI-G Dealer
http://www.johnfjensen.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014, 01:52 AM

The Rotella is a silicate free coolant, and the Gold is a low silicate coolant. Mixing the two cancels each others effective properties. Heres a complete chart of what is what in most all coolants. The "x" means yes it has it in the chart. Best to flush as best possible then make the switch to a cat-ec1 coolant if thats your plan. For myself, I have done my flushes every 40k or so and refill with Gold HOAT G-05 and distilled water at a 50/50 ratio, my oil cooler and deltas are still good.

http://www.eetcorp.com/antifreeze/Coolants_matrix.pdf

Harry

Jan 03' built 6.0/F250cc4wd trqsft/SCT-tuned by KEM-Performance/Garrett Powermax vg-turbo/blue spring mod/gauges=egt+boost+fuel+SG2/exhaust/airaid intake/DR 4.5 lift/dual bilsteins/315's/greasable ball joints/powerstop/smittybuilt/kc lights/high idle mod/roll-n-lock/Mobil Delvac1 ESP 5W40 with (Archoil AR9100 in the oil) and (AR6200 in the fuel)
The Following User Says Thank You to harry6.0 For this addition to TDG:
Weld engineer (07-13-2014)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Here's what A Shell Staff Chemist said:

"Should not cause a problem if some of the Ford Premium Gold remains when you add Rotella Ultra ELC.
I would not make a broad statement that everything is compatable.

From a legal standpoint "should not" is about as positive as our lawyers will allow us to be. Truthfully, though, there are some intangibles we have to take into consideration.

When a question like this gets asked, the biggest potential problem we need to consider is the condition of the fluid that is already in the vehicle. Brand new fluids of both types will almost certainly be compatible (even then, we have to consider the extremely small possibility that one fluid or the other was not properly formulated). Old fluid of one type, with depletion or additives or introduction of contaminants, becomes a somewhat more uncertain matter when mixed with another fluid. And when we talk about coolants, there is also the potential issue of water quality with which the coolants get mixed."

2006, F-350, 6.0, 4x4, Lariat, crew cab, long bed with Leer 180 shell
MagnaFlow 4" turbo back exhaust system
DC Power Engineering 190 amp alternator
Firestone 2400 Ride-Rite air bags
Ranch Hand Legend grill guard
Isspro four gauge pillar set
HID Bi-Xenon headlights
HFCM water drain plug
Fumoto oil drain valve
Accufab intake elbow
Bilstein 5100 shocks
Ctek batteries tender
DFuser coolant filter
Rotella Ultra ELC
Blue Spring mod
Bilstein stabilizer
ScanGauge II
Up-idle mod
Zoodad
Archoil (AR9100, AR6200) & PRI-D & PRI-G Dealer
http://www.johnfjensen.com
The Following User Says Thank You to snowgoose For this addition to TDG:
harry6.0 (07-15-2014)
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 12:38 AM
Boost Junkie

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mygt8a4re
Not sure if this pertains much to the question at hand but I still use the Motorcraft Gold coolant and flush once per year. I believe the flushing and adding fresh coolant and distilled water keeps the silicate additives from becoming a problem over time. Most bash the stock gold coolant because they neglect to maintain thier coolant sytem as most want a coolant they can put in and forget about for years. Im assuming everyone currectly subscribing already knows this and it doesnt add onto the original question of mixing. Im sure Im a bit out of context in this particular thread, but I know it will be hit on in research....

Can I ask, for those doing future research, why they do not want to use the Ford Gold coolant? Is it because of the silicate additive? Do you disagree with these additives? Why? Do you know what the additives do? Do you understand flushing, the proper procedure, to add distilled water, and to flush within the proper recommended interval?

05' f350 DRW
Mods: ARP head studs, Black onyx HG's, 4" turbo back exh w/ 6" tip, AFE Magnumforce ProDryS, RCD EGR delete, SCT Innovative tunes, Edge Insight w/ EGT probe, CCV mod, Dfuser coolant filter, Amsoil framerail oil filter, GoGo Diesel DD mod solenoid, Springtech drop shackles, Recon smoked cab lights, Recon smoked fender lights, Recon light bar, Smoked tail lights & 3rd brake light, DeVries custom emblems, CAP 7pc billet grille, Archoil AR9100 & AR6200 addatives.
Ford updates: STC HPOP fitting, Blue FPR spring kit, turbo feed & drain tubes, oil cooler, Standpipes & dummy plugs.

I wouldnt have to manage my anger if you would just manage your stupidity!

Last edited by mygt8a4re; 08-20-2014 at 12:42 AM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 01:26 AM
Old Fart

Garage
I completely agree with your approach with Motorcraft Gold. I flush and renew my coolant with Gold and distilled water. I don't do mine every year but more like every two years. I have a coolant filter also.

Dave

2004 Ford F-350 Regular cab with 6.0.
Completely Stock.

KK6TNI - HAM Radio

http://bennettlaneshopping.com/ - Our Outdoor/Garden and Kitchen Ware store
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 04:39 AM

Maintenance is the key.

Silicate drop out from being boiled in the egr cooler is what seems to be the issue to contributing to oil cooler clogging. But if egr is inactive, then that issue can be put aside.

Mercedes Benz was the first to use Hoat gold coolant back in the 80's, way before Ford. Hybrid-Organic-Acid-Technology coolant was designed for compatibility with high mineral content water like the type found in Europe. America's water is considered low mineral content water in comparison. The coolant was designed to keep minerals in suspension and be compatible with most conventional ethylene-glycol coolants. So if your on the road and can only find green coolant, you can mix with no issues. It is also a coolant that can be used in gas or diesel engines and also provides very good cavitation protection.

Heres some Ford info on the coolants of past and present...
http://www.powerstrokediesel.com/doc...nformation.pdf

Harry

Jan 03' built 6.0/F250cc4wd trqsft/SCT-tuned by KEM-Performance/Garrett Powermax vg-turbo/blue spring mod/gauges=egt+boost+fuel+SG2/exhaust/airaid intake/DR 4.5 lift/dual bilsteins/315's/greasable ball joints/powerstop/smittybuilt/kc lights/high idle mod/roll-n-lock/Mobil Delvac1 ESP 5W40 with (Archoil AR9100 in the oil) and (AR6200 in the fuel)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 01:30 PM

From my research (ASTM material is hard to research without paying), the ASTM 3306 standard for the Gold coolant states 250 ppm silicon by weight (max) for a low silicate formula. That is at most 0.01 pounds of silicon (or 0.032 lbs of silicates SiO4) in 4 gallons of concentrated Gold Coolant. That is 1/2 of an ounce of silicates.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270AXP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD BilletWaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode