starter motor again - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by harry6.0, this thread has received 3 replies and been viewed 894 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 03:07 AM Thread Starter

starter motor again

1st...Happy Thankgiving Gent's! Tomorrow it's back to reality for most of us.

Anyhow, went to start the truck this morning after it warmed up to 12F, and just click, cycle the key and try again... 1 click.

1st thought, must have dead batteries...batteries test good...12.6v each, then I thought oh s*** hydro-lock !!!...but then

noticed on my ScanGauge that I get no voltage drop other than the normal glow plug activation when turning the key to the crank start position.

Ok, must have a bad connection or starter motor.

Got the wife up and I crawled under the truck, told her to crank while I tap on the starter with a hammer, as soon as she tryed to crank I see sparks shooting out of the starter.

Thank goodness for my propane tube blaster heater to keep my fingers working. As soon as I went to loosen the starter solenoid battery cable nut the whole thing fell off...thats the quality tested carquest starter I put in some 2-3 yrs ago. Anyhow, got another one from Oreilly's since they were open and closest to me. New reman seems to work just fine, they claim it has a lifetime warranty, cost me 126.98.

I'm just glad this happened at home...maybe I should carry a spare starter next to that FICM behind the seat.

Harry

Jan 03' built 6.0/F250cc4wd trqsft/SCT-tuned by KEM-Performance/Garrett Powermax vg-turbo/blue spring mod/gauges=egt+boost+fuel+SG2/exhaust/airaid intake/DR 4.5 lift/dual bilsteins/315's/greasable ball joints/powerstop/smittybuilt/kc lights/high idle mod/roll-n-lock/Mobil Delvac1 ESP 5W40 with (Archoil AR9100 in the oil) and (AR6200 in the fuel)

Last edited by harry6.0; 12-01-2014 at 03:19 AM. Reason: wording
The Following User Says Thank You to harry6.0 For this addition to TDG:
indiana lineman (12-10-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 03:58 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry6.0 View Post
1st...Happy Thankgiving Gent's! Tomorrow it's back to reality for most of us.

Anyhow, went to start the truck this morning after it warmed up to 12F, and just click, cycle the key and try again... 1 click.

1st thought, must have dead batteries...batteries test good...12.6v each, then I thought oh s*** hydro-lock !!!...but then

noticed on my ScanGauge that I get no voltage drop other than the normal glow plug activation when turning the key to the crank start position.

Ok, must have a bad connection or starter motor.

Got the wife up and I crawled under the truck, told her to crank while I tap on the starter with a hammer, as soon as she tryed to crank I see sparks shooting out of the starter.

Thank goodness for my propane tube blaster heater to keep my fingers working. As soon as I went to loosen the starter solenoid battery cable nut the whole thing fell off...thats the quality tested carquest starter I put in some 2-3 yrs ago. Anyhow, got another one from Oreilly's since they were open and closest to me. New reman seems to work just fine, they claim it has a lifetime warranty, cost me 126.98.

I'm just glad this happened at home...maybe I should carry a spare starter next to that FICM behind the seat.

Harry
Glad it worked out. Lifetime warranty are only good if they are open when you need it I've found that doesn't always work out.
I'll pay back the advice I got to pick up a used alternator from a recycler. Starter might be a good one to have too. Hopefully you made her breakfast too.

My previous beast had a 460 and the wiring failed in the starter while I waited in line at the scrap yard. Since it loved gas I shut it off. Luckily my wife could bring me a starter from parts store and a few wrenches. Scrap guys were nice and brought a bin to unload me in the parking lot. One bolt and held it in place had her start it and headed home. Stay warm!

Early 2004 F-250 4x4 CC 6.0

2nd owner, ARP studs 1 at a time, Some parts missing in the exhaust path, BD intercooler hoses, Blue spring, MC filters, Sinister coolant filter, Exhaust manifold gaskets, WARN lockouts, Gold coolant, zoodad mod, autometer boost gauge, high idle mod, Scangauge 2, SCT X3 tuned from KEM, autometer fuel pressure gauge, Archoil 6200 in the fuel, FICM by Ed w/ATLAS40, autometer pyro gauge,'08 Alum Rear Diff cover, 5w-40 Rotella T6 w/ Archoil 9100 in it, zert in the slip joint, harpooned fuel tank, 6.4 banjos

Not a diesel mechanic in real life but I play one on the Internet
The Following User Says Thank You to Weld engineer For this addition to TDG:
harry6.0 (12-01-2014)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 05:21 AM

Glad to hear your up and going. 12* no way I feel cold and we are at 56*!
The Following User Says Thank You to lenzhotrod For this addition to TDG:
harry6.0 (12-01-2014)
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 06:07 PM

Harry,

I'm glad you know how to handle that weather. My 68 degrees is worth a pot of gold.
Your wife is a real trooper, treat her well - I know you do.

2006, F-350, 6.0, 4x4, Lariat, crew cab, long bed with Leer 180 shell
MagnaFlow 4" turbo back exhaust system
DC Power Engineering 190 amp alternator
Firestone 2400 Ride-Rite air bags
Ranch Hand Legend grill guard
Isspro four gauge pillar set
HID Bi-Xenon headlights
HFCM water drain plug
Fumoto oil drain valve
Accufab intake elbow
Bilstein 5100 shocks
Ctek batteries tender
DFuser coolant filter
Rotella Ultra ELC
Blue Spring mod
Bilstein stabilizer
ScanGauge II
Up-idle mod
Zoodad
Archoil (AR9100, AR6200) & PRI-D & PRI-G Dealer
http://www.johnfjensen.com
The Following User Says Thank You to snowgoose For this addition to TDG:
harry6.0 (12-10-2014)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode