2006 with light smoke at idle - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by LargeCar, this thread has received 24 replies and been viewed 4744 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Old Geezer-TDG Mafia #19

2006 with light smoke at idle

OP:

Just typed a big post and lost it

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lost my post.

Still the best place to go for info on our trucks.

The truck; 2006 F350 CC 6.0L, auto, Edge tuner, cat gone, see through muffler, EGR blocked off, CCV reroute to road dump,K&N filter, Garrett Power Max Performance Turbo (GT3788VA), Stage 1, from KT Performance installed just before leaving home.

The problem; after setting for a month I took the truck out for a driver while I worked on the Jetta, after several hundred miles of use I now get a white smoke at idle. Coming into the park at idle all is well until I hit the first spped bump then it goes to smoking, can do a light rev to 1200 and it quits, until I get to my space and it starts again. Can smell any sweet smell or acid smell and no burning eyes, can't define any particular fuel or coolent smells at all. No loss of coolent in over a year, no excessive coolent pressure, no loss or gain in the oil level, no excessive road draft fumes. Pulled the egr valve and it is dry, no coolent or oil, and has just a light dusting of dry soot. Manifold below the egr os the same. Pulled the innercooler to engine tube (the top one) and it is dry as a bone, did a FICM test and it is 49.8 volts. Set up the edge to read ECT-EOT and after a warm up run had 188 water and 200 oil for a five mile slight uphill pull, then a 186 water and 201 oil for anothe five miles on the same uphill pull. When driving slower (15mph) the water goes to 186 and the oil goes to 194, then idle into the park and it hits the first bump and goes to smoking, light rev and its gone, then it sometimes smokes when I get to my site and sometimes not.

What is my next step????

Thanks for any help offered.

2nd post:

Did I stump the experts?

Should also correct the post by saying that I cannot determine from the smell of the smoke any hint of coolent or fuel. Smoke is white with a very slight hint of blue, like oil smoke.

3rd Post:

Talking to KT Performance now to see if they have an answer or solution to my problem.

TMT wrote:

I've got a similar issue, except no bump needed. AE tests show no issues. I've had a high amount of smoke at first start with a blue component. No visible issues with the EGR passages. Pulled the turbo and no issues with the oil seal. Put on my spare new turbo and no change. Talked to the truck assistant service manager who I've known for years and he said change out the EGR valve even though it tests and looks good.

That took care of the large amount of smoke/vapor at initial start. But now I still have residual light blue smoke, some when driving but occasionally a slight to far amount of it at stops until the motor is up to 190.

Harry wrote:

When I try to read the first page of this thread I get a weird message on the screen then it kicks me out of the TDG site, this only happens on the first page of this thread, no other threads, so I can't read anything to answer anything.

To Largecar...maybe start a new thread about your trucks symptoms, then I can read it.

Is anybody else is experiencing this in this thread?

Harry

And that is why I am doing this copy paste stuff because I am a old fart that does not know how to do it a better way.

TMT wrote:

No problem viewing for me. But it's an old 2013 thread with Largecar adding to the thread at message #8.

KT Performance sent me this email:

"Did you check for leaks with the intercooler and up-pipes? That is a common failure for loss of boost pressure."

I responded:

I checked the exhaust side and found only one little soot trail at the clamp into the turbo, not enough to be of concern, no smell in cab. No leaks on the pressure side, checked all the hoses and pipes, inner cooler held 10 psi for over an hour ( I made two aluminum plugs one with a metal valve stem to put air in) and checked from turbo out to engine in. Just got back from my buddy at the Ford garage and he discovered that the turbo is slow to build pressure, said maybe the stator ring (I think that is what he called it) was binding or not smooth. He also said the smoke smelled to him like oil smoke and it had a slight blue tint to it. He also discovered the smoke came on quicker when idled in gear over idling in neutral or park. He said that the slight amount of pressure against the engine is what the difference would be. The truck has had the CCV vented to a road draft tube since almost new, so the hose into the manifold is dry, no oil residue. So we think the only place it is coming from is the turbo shaft seals. My question is would the seals work better with the turbo making pressure and not as well when it is in a not pressure state? I don't know so I will leave that up to the experts.

You might remember me as I sent a couple of emails to you just after I installed this turbo with complaints of low boost when towing my fifth wheel. I kind of got used to the way it functioned and quit worrying about it, but now it is a whole different set of circumstances. We pulled the fifth wheel out to Arizona and put the truck under a cover, only using if about once a month just to keep fluids circulated. It was this months run that the problems started. We will be going back to Oklahoma some time toward the end of April and don't want to worry about being broken down somewhere.

Let me know what your thoughts are.

Thanks
Glenn

That should bring us all up to date, thanks for the patience.

LargeCar

Mafia # 19 The Dually Club # 19

If a country does not remember and honor its fallen heroes of the past, in the future that country will not be honored or remembered.

G.R. Wemmer

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his/her life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Old Geezer-TDG Mafia #19
Threadstarter

TooManyToys:

Mine is a bit different then yours because I don't get any smoke at start up, even if it is smoking when I shut down I don't get smoke at start up. When driving the exhaust appears to be clean and clear, except when I get in it then it is the normal black until the turbo catches up then it is clear again. Also it does not do it all the time, just whenever it takes a notion to get me POed.

I am really begining to think it is an turbin side seal that leaks when not under any exhaust pressure, then seals up when the pressure kicks in. I am leaning this way because it has to be up to running temps to smoke, wont do it at start up or when cold.

As a side note for those that have the GT3788VA turbo, does it seem to have a lot of lag? If I WOT from a stop it will be at least 20mph before the turbo starts to build boost, then it comes on like a freight train. At 50 MPH I can WOT and it and it takes at least 3 or 4 seconds to start to build boost. With the stock turbo (even with the torn up tubin blades) it would build boost fast enough to spin the tires at take off, with the GT3788VA i am clear across the intersection and down the road a bit before I get boost (the race is lost).

LargeCar

If a country does not remember and honor its fallen heroes of the past, in the future that country will not be honored or remembered.

G.R. Wemmer

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his/her life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

Last edited by LargeCar; 03-27-2015 at 05:21 PM.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Old Geezer-TDG Mafia #19
Threadstarter

At level 1 or 2 on the EDGE it is a complete turd, 3 is a little better and 4 is almost drivable. I have 5 and 6 to go but hate driving around in them due to a stock transmission.

At 60 mph on level ground just cruising I am only making 1 to 2 pounds of boost.

LargeCar

G.R. Wemmer

Last edited by LargeCar; 03-27-2015 at 05:34 PM.
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 06:26 PM

Sure sounds like the turbo needs to be rebuilt and maybe you need a different programmer (and/or custom tunes).

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270AXP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD BilletWaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Old Geezer-TDG Mafia #19
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
Sure sounds like the turbo needs to be rebuilt and maybe you need a different programmer (and/or custom tunes).
I know there is a programmer war, some like what they like for different reasons. I like my Edge.

I do agree with the turbo issue, it was a new one 13011 miles ago, just one trip on it. But it has been a sore point with me. It has IMO not been right since it was new.

LargeCar

G.R. Wemmer

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 03:52 AM

My advice has nothing to do with a "war" as you put it. It has to do with custom tunes to match your custom hardware.

Take or leave the advice - best of luck.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270AXP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD BilletWaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs

Last edited by bismic; 03-28-2015 at 04:04 AM.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Old Geezer-TDG Mafia #19
Threadstarter

Should correct my post, I had an extra zero in the miles on the turbo, it has 1311 miles on it. Just one trip.

LargeCar

G.R. Wemmer

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Old Geezer-TDG Mafia #19
Threadstarter

See if I can post a you tube link.

https://youtu.be/SvIQzehK6RI

The video is of the slow spooling turbo, if you count the shifts I am in third gear before the turbo his full boost. Is that slow or is it just me. The stock turbo, even when it was wounded built boost faster then the new one. Watch the video and give me your feedback.

Thanks

LargeCar

G.R. Wemmer

Last edited by LargeCar; 03-30-2015 at 06:12 PM.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 05:46 AM

I pasted this from the private message I sent you...

Hi Largecar,

Sorry, but I still can't answer on that thread, must me some kind of virus in the thread somewhere that affects my computer, I can't even type a few letters without it kicking me out.

Anyhow, I was able to read enough that heres my thoughts...

1. Check the egr valve first if you still have one thats active, a partially stuck open egr valve can cause yur symptoms.

2. Check the ebp (Exhaust Backpressure Sensor) sensor for clogging, it can cause low boost if clogged.

3. You have a PowerMax turbo, these turbos only function properly with custom tuning and do not work well if egr is still active...need an SCT programmer with custom tuning to remedy. Mike at KEM Performance tuned my PowerMax perfectly and I have had it for many years now with no issues, Innovative performance is another good choice too for custom tuning, both places sell SCT tuners and provide SCT custom tuning. Sorry, but it will never work correctly with the Edge tuner, also the SCT provides auto transm tuning to match the custom tunes, thats all included in a custom written tune, your truck will spool up and shift perfect with custom tuning.

Harry

Jan 03' built 6.0/F250cc4wd trqsft/SCT-tuned by KEM-Performance/Garrett Powermax vg-turbo/blue spring mod/gauges=egt+boost+fuel+SG2/exhaust/airaid intake/DR 4.5 lift/dual bilsteins/315's/greasable ball joints/powerstop/smittybuilt/kc lights/high idle mod/roll-n-lock/Mobil Delvac1 ESP 5W40 with (Archoil AR9100 in the oil) and (AR6200 in the fuel)
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Old Geezer-TDG Mafia #19
Threadstarter

Thanks Harry.
I did check the egr , cleaned it, tested it. All is good. I have the plug in the joint between the up pipe and the cooler so there is no flow through it.

Did not think to test the ebp sensor, will give that a try.

At least you gave me good reason and a better understanding on why I need to change tuners. Always like the edge because it has safeguards on it and can change programs on the fly. Maybe its time to look at something else

The truck is used (95% of the time) to haul the fifth wheel and a second trailer with a total combined weight of 18k to 20k depending on water in tanks and how many rocks the wife finds on our trips.

Thanks

LargeCar

G.R. Wemmer

The Following User Says Thank You to LargeCar For this addition to TDG:
harry6.0 (04-02-2015)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode