Throttle loss - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by fox1980, this thread has received 24 replies and been viewed 2273 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

Throttle loss

I have a 2004 F-350. Back in September my truck was having issues where I would come to a stop, and when I went to go, it wouldn't get any gas. Pedal to the floor, and nothing. I would turn it off and back on, and then it would work. After a while it started stalling when I stopped. I changed all of the fuel filters, still happened. Changed the TPS under the hood, still happened. Then we changed the gas pedal (can't remember the name of that sensor), and it ran like a dream.

Now it is 6 months later, and it's happening again. I am assuming the sensor is bad, but I am curious if anyone else has had this same issue, and what they did to fix it. I will be exchanging my part out today for a new one, but I am worried that it might be something more. I would really like to keep this from happening in the future if possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 08:13 PM
Old Fart

Garage
I am not sure what you think the TPS is. It is the Throttle Position Sensor and is not under the hood.

Dave

2004 Ford F-350 Regular cab with 6.0.
Completely Stock.

KK6TNI - HAM Radio

http://bennettlaneshopping.com/ - Our Outdoor/Garden and Kitchen Ware store
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Well, sadly I am a very uneducated girl when it comes to this beast I own. I assumed the TPS was the sensor attached to the pedal, but read elsewhere that it was under the hood. Either way, I replaced the sensor under the hood that has something to do with the throttle, and the sensor that is attached to the gas pedal. Forgive me for being a diesel truck virgin. But that is why I am on here! Please help me learn oh wise one!
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 09:52 PM

The TPS is on the fuel pedal assembly on these diesels. Check your wire connections first.
The Following User Says Thank You to lenzhotrod For this addition to TDG:
bismic (04-14-2015)
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 10:20 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fox1980 View Post
Well, sadly I am a very uneducated girl when it comes to this beast I own. I assumed the TPS was the sensor attached to the pedal, but read elsewhere that it was under the hood. Either way, I replaced the sensor under the hood that has something to do with the throttle, and the sensor that is attached to the gas pedal. Forgive me for being a diesel truck virgin. But that is why I am on here! Please help me learn oh wise one!
I am not trying to criticize you at all. We all have to start somewhere. The reason I am asking it to make what you are asking clear to all of us. There are many people who know more about this truck than I do. Harry is one of them and I am sure he will chime in. Don't be shy.

Dave

2004 Ford F-350 Regular cab with 6.0.
Completely Stock.

KK6TNI - HAM Radio

http://bennettlaneshopping.com/ - Our Outdoor/Garden and Kitchen Ware store
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 02:37 AM

Garage
Welcome fox1980. Best thing you can do is get a scangauge II so you can get some vitals on the engine. Does it start hard or stall?

Early 2004 F-250 4x4 CC 6.0

2nd owner, ARP studs 1 at a time, Some parts missing in the exhaust path, BD intercooler hoses, Blue spring, MC filters, Sinister coolant filter, Exhaust manifold gaskets, WARN lockouts, Gold coolant, zoodad mod, autometer boost gauge, high idle mod, Scangauge 2, SCT X3 tuned from KEM, autometer fuel pressure gauge, Archoil 6200 in the fuel, FICM by Ed w/ATLAS40, autometer pyro gauge,'08 Alum Rear Diff cover, 5w-40 Rotella T6 w/ Archoil 9100 in it, zert in the slip joint, harpooned fuel tank, 6.4 banjos

Not a diesel mechanic in real life but I play one on the Internet
The Following User Says Thank You to Weld engineer For this addition to TDG:
fox1980 (04-14-2015)
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 05:37 AM

Maybe it was the FICM that was replaced before?

[I will be exchanging my part out today for a new one, but I am worried that it might be something more.]

Let us know what the name of the part is that is being exchanged, and if that helps fix the symptom.

Everything already mentioned could be a factor, especially a wiring harness fault.

And yes, as also mentioned, a ScanGaugeII is a very useful 6.0L PowerStroke tool to have and easy to use...
http://www.scangauge.com/
http://www.scangauge.com/support/x-g...cific-xgauges/
http://www.bulletproofdiesel.com/Sca...ta-monitor.htm

Harry

Jan 03' built 6.0/F250cc4wd trqsft/SCT-tuned by KEM-Performance/Garrett Powermax vg-turbo/blue spring mod/gauges=egt+boost+fuel+SG2/exhaust/airaid intake/DR 4.5 lift/dual bilsteins/315's/greasable ball joints/powerstop/smittybuilt/kc lights/high idle mod/roll-n-lock/Mobil Delvac1 ESP 5W40 with (Archoil AR9100 in the oil) and (AR6200 in the fuel)
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 09:41 AM

The pedal assembly contains the TPS (3 sensors actually - for the purpose of reliability) and it is quite expensive. There are very specific codes for them when they fail. You might want to get the codes read - perhaps borrow a scanner from an autoparts store.

Several questions - what brand pedal did you buy - Ford or aftermarket?
Did you save the receipt? It may be under warranty.
What was the part number of the sensor under the hood that was replaced (and where did you buy it)?
Can you describe the sensor under the hood that was replaced? Size, exact location (like on the passenger valve cover or up against the driver's side firewall) and type of electrical connector(s)? Better yet - post a pic.

As lenzhotrod suggested, the wiring sounds like the most logical area to scrutinize. That being said, without the help of a scan tool like the scangauge (and without codes), we would just be guessing.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270AXP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD BilletWaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs

Last edited by bismic; 04-14-2015 at 09:44 AM.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbennett48 View Post
I am not trying to criticize you at all. We all have to start somewhere. The reason I am asking it to make what you are asking clear to all of us. There are many people who know more about this truck than I do. Harry is one of them and I am sure he will chime in. Don't be shy.
I was just being a smart *****. I did a bunch of research the first time this happened, and apparently got things mixed up verbiage wise. However, when I went to the parts store yesterday to pick up the pedal assembly to replace it, the gentleman told me that it was called the accelerator pedal position censor. The box even said it. And he told me the TPS is near the engine block and has to be replaced under the hood... So now I am confused again.

But, I changed the pedal assembly and so far so good. But I haven't put many miles on it yet, so we will see.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weld engineer View Post
Welcome fox1980. Best thing you can do is get a scangauge II so you can get some vitals on the engine. Does it start hard or stall?
I will definitely look into that! Thank you!!

Tags
throttle, tps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode