Actual oil temperature information - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by bismic, this thread has received 4 replies and been viewed 1253 times.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By bismic
  • 1 Post By harry6.0

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Actual oil temperature information

After a few posts reminding people that our oil temperature reading is actually the coldest place to read oil temperature, I decided to measure the oil temperature in the pan.

With an EOT reading of 208 *F (drove it reasonably hard), the oil in the pan was 250 *F.

That is 42*F hotter in the pan than the EOT reading. No doubt the oil gets even hotter at various places within the engine/turbo itself.

Also, when people see oil temps of 250 *F on the EOT, then the bulk oil is close to (maybe even at) 300 *F.

Glad to be running synthetic oil w/ a low volatility and fairly high flash point.
dbennett48 likes this.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270AXP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD BilletWaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bismic For this addition to TDG:
dbennett48 (07-08-2015), harry6.0 (07-08-2015), pstrang (07-08-2015), Weld engineer (07-08-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 12:03 AM

Garage
I will never understand why they didn't use an identical setup to the transmission for cooling.

Early 2004 F-250 4x4 CC 6.0

2nd owner, ARP studs 1 at a time, Some parts missing in the exhaust path, BD intercooler hoses, Blue spring, MC filters, Sinister coolant filter, Exhaust manifold gaskets, WARN lockouts, Gold coolant, zoodad mod, autometer boost gauge, high idle mod, Scangauge 2, SCT X3 tuned from KEM, autometer fuel pressure gauge, Archoil 6200 in the fuel, FICM by Ed w/ATLAS40, autometer pyro gauge,'08 Alum Rear Diff cover, 5w-40 Rotella T6 w/ Archoil 9100 in it, zert in the slip joint, harpooned fuel tank, 6.4 banjos

Not a diesel mechanic in real life but I play one on the Internet
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 01:47 PM

What method was used to measure the engine oil pan temp?

If an infra red temp gun was used for measurement, they are not always completely accurate from my experience.

For instance, if you use one of these to measure cold ac vent outlet temp in which the actual air temp is 60F, it may read 27F with the infra red gun.

It dosen't surprise me though that the oil pan temp's are higher as that is the first place it's dumped after cycling through the moving parts.

Synthetic oil's with high flash point's like Delvac-1 ESP 5W-40 definitely gives me some piece of mind.

Good thread Mark!

Harry

Jan 03' built 6.0/F250cc4wd trqsft/SCT-tuned by KEM-Performance/Garrett Powermax vg-turbo/blue spring mod/gauges=egt+boost+fuel+SG2/exhaust/airaid intake/DR 4.5 lift/dual bilsteins/315's/greasable ball joints/powerstop/smittybuilt/kc lights/high idle mod/roll-n-lock/Mobil Delvac1 ESP 5W40 with (Archoil AR9100 in the oil) and (AR6200 in the fuel)
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I tried my IR gun and did not get a reasonable reading. SO ................ I got a calibrated lab thermometer, took an oil sample, and read the temperature of the oil directly. I let the thermometer sit in the sample for 5 minutes and read the temperature. I watched the temperature for another 15 minutes and it did not drop more than a degree. I feel good about the accuracy of the reading.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270AXP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD BilletWaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bismic For this addition to TDG:
harry6.0 (07-09-2015), Weld engineer (07-09-2015)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 02:07 AM

Your measuring in the right place and from what it sounds like a good sound method.

Most of our models at MBZ where I work, and all the hi performance AMG engines use oil pan sensors for oil temp and other measurements. Wonder why International did not do it this way?

I wonder how accurate one of these drain plug type temp sensors are here...
Oil Temperature Sensor | eBay
This would measure actual oil pan working temperatures.

This is not reassuring knowing or thinking about our 6.0L oil temps being this dramatically higher than what were seeing from the stock sensor location.

No wonder the injector orings dry out and crack on some trucks.

220F actual oil pan temps is actually ok, but 250F is not good, thats approaching the gray area, and 275F+ is where oil breaks down. When towing heavy in hot weather I can only imagine what the actual oil temps must be, they could possibly be reaching as high as 275F.

Alot of manufacturers use oil temp sensors in the oil filter housing area like our 6.0L, and maybe thats whats actually matters for the rest of the motor and hpop system.

But for the engine oil to hold up for any length of time, high tremps will shorten it's lifespan.

Our hpop system also subjects the motor oil to extreme high pressures, and high pressures create high temperatures, they go hand in hand.

Good maintenance practices are the best preventive steps one can take with these trucks.

Harry
bismic likes this.

Jan 03' built 6.0/F250cc4wd trqsft/SCT-tuned by KEM-Performance/Garrett Powermax vg-turbo/blue spring mod/gauges=egt+boost+fuel+SG2/exhaust/airaid intake/DR 4.5 lift/dual bilsteins/315's/greasable ball joints/powerstop/smittybuilt/kc lights/high idle mod/roll-n-lock/Mobil Delvac1 ESP 5W40 with (Archoil AR9100 in the oil) and (AR6200 in the fuel)
The Following User Says Thank You to harry6.0 For this addition to TDG:
bismic (07-09-2015)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode