03 6.0 Speedometer help??????? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by mromano1988, this thread has received 4 replies and been viewed 617 times.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By TooManyToys

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

03 6.0 Speedometer help???????

Hey guys i have an 03 f 350 6.0.. its a longbed with 4 doors..

My speedometer doesnt work, abs light is on, cruise doesnt work and odometer doesnt work... Now i know there a ton of info on this topic but let me tell you everything that i have tested so far..

I took it to a diesel mechanic and he was nice enough to scan it for me for free and he said i have the P0500 code.. But he told me the PCM is reading speed..( he actually showed me on his laptop a graph showing the speed all he did was put it in drive and let it roll 12 feet which was only generated 2mph)... Anyways so the PCM is reading speed.. I went ahead and replaced the VSS just to eliminate that.. I also did a guage sweep test just to make sure the spedo needle moves and it worked... So im at a loss right now.. if the PCM is reading speed i would say that i do not have any kind of short in the wires..( atleast from the VSS to the PCM and ABS control module).. I have checked all fuses.. The truck does have a aftermarket touch screen player in it that i did no put in so i dont know if there is a possibiltiy there? Someone told me that the windsheild wiper motor can cause the speedometer not to work but i have not tried disconnecting it yet.. PLEASE HELP ME???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 04:06 PM
Old Fart

Garage
I was going to ask if you changed the speed sensor, but the PCM reading speed tells me it works. I don't have an answer. Someone will.

Dave

2004 Ford F-350 Regular cab with 6.0.
Completely Stock.

KK6TNI - HAM Radio

http://bennettlaneshopping.com/ - Our Outdoor/Garden and Kitchen Ware store
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 06:30 PM
Curmudgeon

Going 12 feet / 2 mph is not really a test I would sign off on that everything is good. It's been some time but I remember the speed signal going to the ABS first, then distributed to the other electronics of the truck. If there is any inconsistency off the VSS you can have issues.

While it was replaced, is the VSS a Motorcraft or other vendor part? Some aftermarket are actually the same part as Motorcraft, some are not and do not have the same resolution. It also would not hurt to pull the VSS and make sure it was not quickly contaminated by excessive iron particles in the rear axle lubricant. It will be fuzzy if it is. Anytime I have replaced a VSS I also have replaced the lubricant.

I would also closely check the wire harness between the frame and the VSS as some have experienced a broken wire from movement fatigue.

The best method for checking the signal is to look all the sensors from stopped to 50 mph. An oscilloscope graph view is best but depending on the type of test instrumentation a numeric value that has a high variability at moderate to higher speeds diagnosises a problem.
dbennett48 likes this.

Jack -
Formerly FMTRVT, Manager of Vehicle Testing - Brakes

2003 F-350SC Lariat 4x4 6.0L Auto

Truck Modifications as below in Pictorials on Facebook. Google - Facebook TooManyToys
Step Lights;Painted Flanges; Bypass Oil Filter; Heated Mirror Switch; Reverse Lights; 7.3L Fuel Reg Shim; 6 Disc Radio Speed Volume Mod; Coolant Filter, etc.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 01:36 AM

From your fire wall to your dash there are data wires from your ecm to your dash module, I found once the guy who installed a stereo pulled on the wires and pulled one loose after a bit vibration did the rest lost the signal still had power sweep worked and with scan tool could watch everything work found the wire pulled loose from the crimp. Hope this helps.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 02:27 PM

If it's a 4wd truck and you have a bad front wheel bearing it can cause the abs speed sensor to malfunction. Jack the front end up off the ground and do a wiggle test on front wheels with one hand on top off wheel and one on bottom wiggling in-out from truck.

Harry

Jan 03' built 6.0/F250cc4wd trqsft/SCT-tuned by KEM-Performance/Garrett Powermax vg-turbo/blue spring mod/gauges=egt+boost+fuel+SG2/exhaust/airaid intake/DR 4.5 lift/dual bilsteins/315's/greasable ball joints/powerstop/smittybuilt/kc lights/high idle mod/roll-n-lock/Mobil Delvac1 ESP 5W40 with (Archoil AR9100 in the oil) and (AR6200 in the fuel)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode