Coolant flush - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by budwagon1274, this thread has received 5 replies and been viewed 2836 times.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By harry6.0

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

Coolant flush

Was going to attempt to flush my 6.0 out this weekend fluid looks like a rust color seems pretty straightforward seen a few how to on you tube only questions I have is how much coolant do I put back in and how much water do I put back in what the best coolant to use also any dos or don'ts would be appreciated thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 12:28 AM
Old Fart

Garage
I think it is 13 quarts of coolant and 13 quarts of distilled water. Be sure to use distilled water. Tap water has many minerals that will cause problems. Your owners manual will give you the total capacity of the cooling system. Divide that in half and you have the coolant and water amounts. I use Motorcraft coolant for this engine.

Dave

2004 Ford F-350 Regular cab with 6.0.
Completely Stock.

KK6TNI - HAM Radio

http://bennettlaneshopping.com/ - Our Outdoor/Garden and Kitchen Ware store
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 10:46 AM

Amount depends on if you pull your block drain plugs or not (I'm lazy and only pull the one on the roadside) the one on the curbside has to have the starter removed to get at. If you use Ford Gold you don't need to drain both to do a decent drain and refill. but if you swap that out for an ELC type you'll need to drain both and flush several times with water. As for total amounts I can't say, I just premix my Ford gold 50/50 and add it that way after I drain. If you chemical flush be ready to change oil coolers if your not needing to already.

Allan 2007 F350 CCSB lariat, 126,000 mi. Stock 6.0, <10* deltas, Sinister Water Filter, ScangaugeII, Wolverine Oil Pan Heater and HFCM Drain Plug Upgrade, Blue Spring installed, Thermostat installed.. coolant change completed. Newly acquired 2007 F250 5.4L 3V SCLB XL 80,000 miles, Redhead steering box installed.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 03:25 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Cooling system holds 27.5 quarts, so I was close in my guess.

Dave

2004 Ford F-350 Regular cab with 6.0.
Completely Stock.

KK6TNI - HAM Radio

http://bennettlaneshopping.com/ - Our Outdoor/Garden and Kitchen Ware store
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 04:52 AM

Here's a copy of a post I did back in 2011' on the method I use to flush my coolant, which is similar to Mcrafty's method.

We have coolant flush machines at my dealership. They aren't all they are supposed to be, or should I say claim to be. They also only work well if you can keep the t-stat open, which is a challenge when pumping cool water or coolant through the system for extended periods. Would be ok to use for getting the first heavy doses of old coolant out. But what has worked for me on my 6.0L is...

1) pull the drivers side engine coolant block plug out and drain old coolant into pail (very easy to get to) (passenger side plug is behind the starter-and really isn't necessary to remove for flushing),
2) loosen the radiator drain plug and drain old coolant into pail,
3) remove the radiator cap and put garden hose into coolant reservoir,
4) turn hose on and start truck,
5) let truck run at idle for 15-20 min with the heater on full hot with block drain and radiator drain loose or removed,
6) the engine water pump will aid in flushing the entire cooling system including the block, the water will become crystal clear flowing out of the block and radiator drains and also overflowing out the coolant reservoir cap hole by the garden hose
7) once you are done, turn engine off and remove garden hose, let everything drain out, put plugs back in loosely, and refill and run and drain several times with distilled water
8) after the final water drain cycle, put radiator and block drain plugs back in tight, next add your selected coolant choice, if I remember correct, should take about 3.4 gal of "pure coolant"...which will mix with the left over distilled water in the block...which should put you at a 50/50 coolant protection level or -34F.

By the way...I still use the G-05 gold coolant..flush every 50k...no issues yet.

Harry
bismic likes this.

Jan 03' built 6.0/F250cc4wd trqsft/SCT-tuned by KEM-Performance/Garrett Powermax vg-turbo/blue spring mod/gauges=egt+boost+fuel+SG2/exhaust/airaid intake/DR 4.5 lift/dual bilsteins/315's/greasable ball joints/powerstop/smittybuilt/kc lights/high idle mod/roll-n-lock/Mobil Delvac1 ESP 5W40 with (Archoil AR9100 in the oil) and (AR6200 in the fuel)

Last edited by harry6.0; 11-08-2015 at 04:57 AM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry6.0 View Post
Here's a copy of a post I did back in 2011' on the method I use to flush my coolant, which is similar to Mcrafty's method.

We have coolant flush machines at my dealership. They aren't all they are supposed to be, or should I say claim to be. They also only work well if you can keep the t-stat open, which is a challenge when pumping cool water or coolant through the system for extended periods. Would be ok to use for getting the first heavy doses of old coolant out. But what has worked for me on my 6.0L is...

1) pull the drivers side engine coolant block plug out and drain old coolant into pail (very easy to get to) (passenger side plug is behind the starter-and really isn't necessary to remove for flushing),
2) loosen the radiator drain plug and drain old coolant into pail,
3) remove the radiator cap and put garden hose into coolant reservoir,
4) turn hose on and start truck,
5) let truck run at idle for 15-20 min with the heater on full hot with block drain and radiator drain loose or removed,
6) the engine water pump will aid in flushing the entire cooling system including the block, the water will become crystal clear flowing out of the block and radiator drains and also overflowing out the coolant reservoir cap hole by the garden hose
7) once you are done, turn engine off and remove garden hose, let everything drain out, put plugs back in loosely, and refill and run and drain several times with distilled water
8) after the final water drain cycle, put radiator and block drain plugs back in tight, next add your selected coolant choice, if I remember correct, should take about 3.4 gal of "pure coolant"...which will mix with the left over distilled water in the block...which should put you at a 50/50 coolant protection level or -34F.

By the way...I still use the G-05 gold coolant..flush every 50k...no issues yet.

Harry
Good post Harry, and the proper way to do a 'good flush' no doubt...Like I stated in my original reply, I'm lazy and since I do have a coolant filter installed and have yet to get anything but maybe a few specks of pepper sized particles and I too still use the gold coolant, I choose to leave the remaining used coolant in the block and not go the extra mile to flush with the tap water and then distilled drain and flush. I plan on doing mine every 30,000 miles. The truck had 103,000 when I bought it with Ford Gold and <10* deltas ( normal driving 6 to 7*) and two years and 23,000 mi. later the deltas are the same.

Allan 2007 F350 CCSB lariat, 126,000 mi. Stock 6.0, <10* deltas, Sinister Water Filter, ScangaugeII, Wolverine Oil Pan Heater and HFCM Drain Plug Upgrade, Blue Spring installed, Thermostat installed.. coolant change completed. Newly acquired 2007 F250 5.4L 3V SCLB XL 80,000 miles, Redhead steering box installed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode