Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Spokane WA. area
Thanked 990 Times in 755 Posts
Here's a copy of a post I did back in 2011' on the method I use to flush my coolant, which is similar to Mcrafty's method.
We have coolant flush machines at my dealership. They aren't all they are supposed to be, or should I say claim to be. They also only work well if you can keep the t-stat open, which is a challenge when pumping cool water or coolant through the system for extended periods. Would be ok to use for getting the first heavy doses of old coolant out. But what has worked for me on my 6.0L is...
1) pull the drivers side engine coolant block plug out and drain old coolant into pail (very easy to get to) (passenger side plug is behind the starter-and really isn't necessary to remove for flushing),
2) loosen the radiator drain plug and drain old coolant into pail,
3) remove the radiator cap and put garden hose into coolant reservoir,
4) turn hose on and start truck,
5) let truck run at idle for 15-20 min with the heater on full hot with block drain and radiator drain loose or removed,
6) the engine water pump will aid in flushing the entire cooling system including the block, the water will become crystal clear flowing out of the block and radiator drains and also overflowing out the coolant reservoir cap hole by the garden hose
7) once you are done, turn engine off and remove garden hose, let everything drain out, put plugs back in loosely, and refill and run and drain several times with distilled water
8) after the final water drain cycle, put radiator and block drain plugs back in tight, next add your selected coolant choice, if I remember correct, should take about 3.4 gal of "pure coolant"...which will mix with the left over distilled water in the block...which should put you at a 50/50 coolant protection level or -34F.
By the way...I still use the G-05 gold coolant..flush every 50k...no issues yet.
Jan 03' built 6.0/F250cc4wd trqsft/SCT-tuned by KEM-Performance/Garrett Powermax vg-turbo/blue spring mod/gauges=egt+boost+fuel+SG2/exhaust/airaid intake/DR 4.5 lift/dual bilsteins/315's/greasable ball joints/powerstop/smittybuilt/kc lights/high idle mod/roll-n-lock/Mobil Delvac1 ESP 5W40 with (Archoil AR9100 in the oil) and (AR6200 in the fuel)
Last edited by harry6.0; 11-08-2015 at 04:57 AM.