Here we go again - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by mabynack, this thread has received 5 replies and been viewed 1497 times.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Jasong
  • 1 Post By harry6.0

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Angry Here we go again

I've got a 2005 6.0 Super duty. About four years ago it started bucking like hell at random intervals so I took it to Ford and they did the blue spring fuel pressure regulator upgrade. They also cleaned the turbo and charged me $1300, which put them on my naughty list. About six months later I had the same issue and the repair shop looked at it and said that Ford had reused the old gaskets and O-rings and it was leaking. They did the repairs and if worked great until yesterday. Yesterday it started bucking again and I smell raw diesel.

The truck has 117 thousand on it and the top end was rebuilt from the block up a year ago. ARA head studs, valve job, EGR Bypass, new oil cooler, etc. etc. 8 grand worth. I was without my truck for more than a month and they charged me a thousand more than they estimated. The shop that did the work went out of business right after they finished my truck.

I'm just venting. I'm frustrated that I'm going to have to be without a vehicle while they work on this and I'll be running my credit card up again after just getting the 8 grand paid off from the last trip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I'm dropping off the truck at the shop tonight. I'm beginning to think that it might be an injector sticking. I have a SCAN gage and I've been trying to monitor it when the truck starts running rough. It still has the original injectors, although they were all supposedly checked about a year ago. The FICM voltages don't waiver when the truck is running rough. The injector pressure seems to go up briefly. The truck can start running rough at any time. Once it did it when it first started. It's done it when I was cruising down the road after it was warmed up. This morning it did it as I was slowing down for a light.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

The shop couldn't find anything. It didn't throw any codes and was running fine when they looked at it. I had them change the oil and fuel filters (260 bucks) and I put some injector cleaner in it. That seemed to cure it. I drove it about 50 miles after that and the miss eventually went away.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 02:21 AM

Due to the way the injectors and HPOP work these engines are very sensitive to old/dirty oil.
I've seen many cured by an oil and filter change.

Check that the fuel filter cap isn't cracked as well.
mabynack likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 03:41 PM

[Yesterday it started bucking again and I smell raw diesel.]

The above description in your original post is a typical sign of untimed fuel delivery from a sticking open injector nozzle or cracked injector nozzle tip. Likely sticking open intermittently in your case.

The injectors in these trucks are a continuous issue for most. Also, once an engine has been apart, and not saying that it's every case, but loose injector hold downs or incorrectly installed or overlooked worn components is a common factor that is seen alot.

Harry
mabynack likes this.

Jan 03' built 6.0/F250cc4wd trqsft/SCT-tuned by KEM-Performance/Garrett Powermax vg-turbo/blue spring mod/gauges=egt+boost+fuel+SG2/exhaust/airaid intake/DR 4.5 lift/dual bilsteins/315's/greasable ball joints/powerstop/smittybuilt/kc lights/high idle mod/roll-n-lock/Mobil Delvac1 ESP 5W40 with (Archoil AR9100 in the oil) and (AR6200 in the fuel)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

It seems to have cleared up. I've put about 400 miles on it since changing the oil and fuel filters and adding Archoil 9100 and Seafoam. The oil change was overdue, so that might have been a factor.

I think the fuel smell was from the tech doing a sloppy job when he changed the filters. I can barely smell anything now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode