The Diesel Garage banner

Leaking head gasket

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  deereman39 
#1 ·
Hi guys my brother has a blown head gasket and wanted to know what Brand head gaskets you are replacing with
Thanks Ed

#2 ·
FelPro is getting a lot of good reviews.

Reactions: deereman39
#4 ·
#5 ·
Checked the link to the site, looks like you have to buy and entire top end kit, they claim to manufacture it, but it looks very similar to a black onyx gasket...and we know about those, so without any known history using these on a 6.0L, I would be hesitant to use and would go with Motorcraft or even Felpro. That said, mechanics workmanship is just as important, so no matter how good the parts are, if the job is incorrectly performed or mistakes made due to rushing the work or just plain inexperience, then expect a poor outcome or short lifespan on the repair. Can't tell you how many times I have seen rushed sloppy engine work on a 6.0L by supposedly reputable diesel shops. Double check everything during reassembly, no matter how good you think you are.

Harry

Reactions: bismic and Dirtmaly
#6 ·
I've been reading a lot about heads that are cut to allow the use of an additional O-ring? They say that it eliminates the typical problems with the lack of head bolts on this particular engine.
At first thought it sounded like a great idea. The more i think about it, the more problematic it sounds?

#7 ·
Oringed heads are most effective when the engine block deck is also cut so half the ring sits in up in the cyl head and other half down in the block deck combined. I see where Bill Hewet at powerstrokehelp.com offered a ringed cyl head option only, or at least he used too, but it was pricey.

Myself, I would just stick with good quality head gaskets and ARP's installed with sound straight heads + block and good workmanship.

Harry

#8 ·
With a 6.0L, you would have to be extra careful. Not every brand runs smoothly in such a setting. Past reviews that I have read about are all not in 6.0L which is fairly uncommon in my opinion. It is best to go to a shop since it is a different setting to prevent any future problems.

#9 ·
Thanks to all He went with Felpro so far so good

Reactions: harry6.0
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.