Fuel pump or injectors?? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Reaper23, this thread has received 8 replies and been viewed 1074 times.

2Likes
  • 2 Post By harry6.0

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Fuel pump or injectors??

Long story short have a 04 6.0 172xxx on it normal upgrades,egr delete,intake,exhaust etc.... about a month was driving it gave it gas an no response truck just started losing speed shaking real bad and shut off,well after digging I found that the top fuel bowl has bubbles in it. The truck will start and run for sometimes 30 seconds and sometimes three minutes.I really donít want to have to send it to a shop Iíd rather do the work myself instead of possibly paying a bunch of money for tests and parts I might not need. Could really use some help,now two other potential things that might help you guys out.I had the alternator go out on it a week before this happened after I installed the new one and charged the batteries up.the truck wouldnít move in gear and would stall. Weíll after unplugging every sensor I read about online I did the one other thing I could think of,I have an sct x4 on it and I returned the truck didnít change anything about the tune just re did it.well low and behold the truck went into gear and drove fine.well when the truck went down a week later I got the failed to communicate error on it right after the truck died and sct needs me to send it back I know it is a long shot as far as the bubbles in the fuel but could that be a possibility too maybe? I really appreciate any feedback

Reaper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 05:06 AM

Here's a link below to balloon test, you may have combustion gasses entering the fuel system through failed injector combustion seal or injector cup, especially if you are getting bubbles immediately in fuel bowl while just cranking over engine, then no doubt there is an issue here.

The Balloon Test - DTS Articles - Articles - Articles - DTS

Also, check all ground connections on engine harness and batteries, inspect harness for chaffing. Custom sct tuning written to your trucks specific pcm strategy coding is the best type of tuning. The generic canned tuning to fit many different strategies isn't always ideal and can cause issues.

Harry

Jan 03' built 6.0/F250cc4wd trqsft/SCT-tuned by KEM-Performance/Garrett Powermax vg-turbo/blue spring mod/gauges=egt+boost+fuel+SG2/exhaust/airaid intake/DR 4.5 lift/dual bilsteins/315's/greasable ball joints/powerstop/smittybuilt/kc lights/high idle mod/roll-n-lock/Mobil Delvac1 ESP 5W40 with (Archoil AR9100 in the oil) and (AR6200 in the fuel)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
I appreciate that,yeah just cycling the key I get immediate bubbles not even when cranking it,and it sounds like the truck is starving for fuel then just shuts off.

Reaper
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 01:43 PM

Frame rail fuel filter or pump, or fuel tank strainer causing fuel flow restriction. Also a leaking line connection between fuel tank and frame rail pump can suck air. Diesels run poorly or not at all when air is present in fuel system.

Harry

Jan 03' built 6.0/F250cc4wd trqsft/SCT-tuned by KEM-Performance/Garrett Powermax vg-turbo/blue spring mod/gauges=egt+boost+fuel+SG2/exhaust/airaid intake/DR 4.5 lift/dual bilsteins/315's/greasable ball joints/powerstop/smittybuilt/kc lights/high idle mod/roll-n-lock/Mobil Delvac1 ESP 5W40 with (Archoil AR9100 in the oil) and (AR6200 in the fuel)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
The one thing that makes me think and Iím not happy about to that it is an injector is the fact Iíve need noticed a fuel leak before never smelt it or anything up until now from me opening the frame mounted filter and top fuel bowl so much. I did have pretty bad overdrive shake in the truck prior to this also if I wasnít in tow haul right at 50 mph the truck would shake violently.in tow haul I could go to 62 before it would down it. Iím just stumped and hoping itís not the injector Iíve very busy with work which is a bounce edged sword because even though I need to get this thing up I just canít seem to pinpoint the exact option. And I donít like send my vehicles to shops but I might have to on this one.

Reaper
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper23 View Post
I appreciate that,yeah just cycling the key I get immediate bubbles not even when cranking it,and it sounds like the truck is starving for fuel then just shuts off.
If the bubbles come from the side with the key on, it is an issue with air getting into the system feeding the injectors. The injector combustion gas will show up as bubbles from the standpipe.

It could be an issue w/ the primary filter cap o-ring, a cracked filter cap, a cracked manifold, A leaking WIF drain plug, a suction line leak, a fuel tank pick-up issue, or a a bad pump ..... and sometimes it can be caused by a bad fuel pressure regulator.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270AXP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD BilletWaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
The Following User Says Thank You to bismic For this addition to TDG:
harry6.0 (09-04-2017)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 02:06 PM

I would be checking basic fuel delivery pressure as first step, needs to be over 45psi. May also have multiple issues going on. Good shop with reputable 6.0L experience may not be a bad idea for some diagnostics.

Harry
bismic and Reaper23 like this.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
Iím thinking about sending to a shop for some diagnostics I used the scanner from work some of our older ambulances have 6.0s in them and when I scanned it I got number 4injector circuit low and cylinder 7 contribution codes when I used the scanner from work.also pulled my WIF plug and itís corroded really bad I tried to upload the photos on here from my phone but canít for some reason,the plug honestly looks like some of the threads have eaten away honestly by the looks of it.

Reaper
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper23 View Post
I’m thinking about sending to a shop for some diagnostics I used the scanner from work some of our older ambulances have 6.0s in them and when I scanned it I got number 4injector circuit low and cylinder 7 contribution codes when I used the scanner from work.also pulled my WIF plug and it’s corroded really bad I tried to upload the photos on here from my phone but can’t for some reason,the plug honestly looks like some of the threads have eaten away honestly by the looks of it.
Low circuit injector #4....check ficm voltage...should read 47-49v at all times, koeo or koer.

Cylinder #7 contribution fault....almost always is a faulty injector

Harry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode