suncoast tranny blues - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by f350bart, this thread has received 25 replies and been viewed 2491 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to f350bart
suncoast tranny blues

this is the second suncoast that ive had go bad on me this year, it loses overdrive, reverse, and then tow haul light blinks on and off any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 05:55 PM

No clue but I was thinking about getting one so let me know if you figure out what is wrong with it. I don't want to be replacing them all the time if I get one.:Thumbup:
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 06:05 PM
Addicted Mechanic

Send a message via AIM to CLR95
How bout you fill out your sig and let us know what kinda truck, mods list etc. Have you called suncoast about it? I would think theres a warranty involved if you have been through two in less than a year.

- C.R.

Ford Diesel Tech/Junkie

OLD95 F250 XLT Reg Cab 4x4 7.3 Hand Shaker
NEW04 F250 Lariat Crew Cab 4x4 6.0 Auto Mods XCAL 2, Custom Exhaust exiting in front of rear tire, 3 pillar pod with Isspro Gauges
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 11:41 PM

I think you had numerous responses to this at the other site. If not you, then go look at it for the same problem and some very good suggestions as to the cause and fix.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 04:03 AM
Suck,Squish,Bang,Blow

You have officially toasted your direct drive clutches!!! I am too in the process of having my suncoast rebuilt. Through this I have spent alot of time on the phone with the Suncoast engineer regarding the "whats up" with this transmission. Well its just like Tadd from Elite Diesel said in my other thread (BTW still have never had a response from him:shrug: ), who is a Suncoast dealer, says...the problem is there is not enough pressure to apply the direct clutch so it will hold the addtional power we are throwing at it. They are trying to have new parts manufactured that will solve this issue. This will also be retrofitable to stock units. I forsee alot of stock trannies living alot longer with this mod. There has been a recent progression in the strive to build better parts from suncoast. Those parts specifically address the direct clutches but until the pressure is available the clutchs will never live long under extreme conditions. Also keep in mind that there is very limited availability of parts for the 5R compared to the 4R. The manufacturers are extremely busy just keeping the OEMs supplied, so for them to branch out and build specialty parts.. its just not a priority for them. I suggest doing as I have to..rebuild it with the latest in parts and be easy on it through the winter, there should be a strong fix available by spring that won't require a complete teardown.

2004/04 F-350 6.0L(b.o.d. 12-11-03)
Just a couple of Mods :Thumbup:

More toys than time...
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 04:22 AM
TDG Mafia - Booze Runner

Forgive if I'm wrong, but isn't it an issue with the supply solenoid that supplies fluid pressure between the converter and the tranny, and then it runs out of range shuts and cause abnormal pressure to the Directs when needed most; and then TOAST. I know that is way generalized, but seems to be a limiting factor beside there is not enough room to add anymore help to the 5R, beside a couple of frictions and steels. It is not like a 4R where you can add extra frictions and steels to all the packs, plus really enhance the VB for a greater fluid flow capacity.

2007 Dodge 3500 MegaCab Laramie CTD 4x4 Patroit Blue Just a bunch of Go fast parts and programing
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 05:15 AM

i heard people are working on a diferent solenoid to help keep the pressures high enough..... this will be an incredible advancement and most will be jumping on the phone and orderin them up when available... easy to install also... rmove pan, replace solenoid, install pan... i know ill be all over it.....
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 10:56 AM
Got Torque?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckinMud
...the problem is there is not enough pressure to apply the direct clutch so it will hold the addtional power we are throwing at it.
I don't think that is true. I have a Suncoast, and I KNOW I am throwing plenty of power at it. Enough to twist the input shaft.....but tranny is clean every time we open it and runs great.

Ralph

ps, that tranny has been in there 2 YEARS.

Black 2003 F350 Dually, Nothing Stock

Other Rides:

Black 2006 300C SRT8
Black 2012 CTS-V (630HP)
Black 2008 Mercedes E550
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Send a message via MSN to f350bart
thanks for the help, i brought it up to the shop last night and they are looking at it today sometime

03 f-350 6.0 leveling kit w/ 35's, sct from innovative, aem filter, 6in single stack, 4 pillar with fuel pres., boost, pyro, and trans temp, suncoast trans, spearco, studs, stock turbo w/ billet wheel, from brian at black widow, and 205cc injectors
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 11:21 PM
Suck,Squish,Bang,Blow

Ralph,

Sorry but thats the word directly from suncoast, tadd (in another thread) and the observations of my builder and ATSG. Anyone in the transmission industry knows of ATSG they are the ones who supply most all the indepentants thier tech info (manuals) and support. We also learned about a few concerns(not widely known failures) in the 5R that fortunately I did not have. We have spent hours disecting and reverse engineering this trans taking it above and beyond a rebuild. I will say I'm glad to hear your trans has held up very well so far. It sucks for anyone to have to go through what I have and others have in the quest to keep these trannies alive behind the 6.0l The other variable that comes into play is the usage of the truck. Not just the power put down but haw its put down. I use everything it has got while it works hard (10k in tow with eyes glued to the egt gauge lol) I have all of suncoasts newest parts for the direct and a kit from thier first shipment from transgo of the new updates to the shift kit. This kit changes how they control pressures to prevent reverse blowout which is directly related to the direct clutches. I do have to wonder though if your trans has the transgo kit installed??? If not I wonder if that is why it has survived all you power. The good news is that the longer these are on the road the more parts that will be developed for it. Its getting there its just not there yet.

2004/04 F-350 6.0L(b.o.d. 12-11-03)
Just a couple of Mods :Thumbup:

More toys than time...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode