A few questions for my 03 6.0 - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by coolinthewoods, this thread has received 6 replies and been viewed 899 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 05:23 AM Thread Starter
Coolinthewoods

A few questions for my 03 6.0

Will you gain any lift if you put one ton axle blocks on a 3/4 ton rear end? Also im only getting five miles per gallon driving back and forth to work, no load, driving in two wheel drive.The temperature here has been around -20f, lately its actually been around -45f. But its been doing this all winter, even at above 0 temperatures. Im putting in fords fuel addidtive for gelling and octane boost. Ive taken it back to the dealer three times now, they have put it on there scanning system and replaced five out of the eight injectors. Saying that they were out of specs just slightly.I got around ten miles per gallon after I got it out of their shop but it slowly deteriorates. One thing I forgot to mention, I have a vynal winter front closing off the main grill not the two side ones. In the summer time I get 12-14 miles per gallon. The dealer said they didnt build the 6.0 for a fuel milleage vehicle but for a hauler. They've seen anywhere from 2 mpg to 20 mpg. Did I get the crappy one? Thanks for your input, let me know what I can do, the truck is stock for now. Jesse
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 07:00 AM

Well Jesse, that sux. I would say that when ever you are getting that poor of milage, it is injectors or something else. I had bank one go down 20% a couple of weeks ago, and my milage droped to around 12mpg. So if you have a couple injectors messing up, or leaking, you could be getting less. How far do you drive to work, is it in town, short trips, or longer ones. I am sure you have been pluggin your truck up, It may not be running normal numbers due to it is taking it longer to get to normal operating temps. Also, check your oil and all of your filters, that can play a diffeence. How many miles on the truck? Are you still under your 100k/5yr?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Coolinthewoods
Threadstarter

It has just over 50,000 on it. Its about tens miles on a 65mph highway to work, one stop ligh and no traffic when Im going at 5am. I pretty good about changing the oil and oil filter, but Ive never done any other filter. Do you think its time for fuel filters to be changed? Im A new deisel owner, I bought this used and it had 30,000 miles on it. The "stealer" I mean the dealer said I would get close to 20 mpg. dam they got me. I plug it in at night and let it warm up for 20 in the morning before I go. So it actully warms up for longer time then I actully drive it. Thanks for your input. Jesse
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 02:03 PM

Send a message via MSN to tallfarmboy Send a message via Yahoo to tallfarmboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolinthewoods
but Ive never done any other filter. Do you think its time for fuel filters to be changed?
YES, It's time to change some fuel filters... about 35,000 miles ago.
Service the HFCM and change the underhood filter as well.

Hope your mileage increases a little!!

TFB

January 2003 Build "Sonic Blue" F-250 4x4 Lariat Crew Cab, Auto, EDGE Juice with Attitude Monitor 151K Miles. An early no-leaker 6.0L
Repairs so far... CPS - $40
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 04:00 AM

50K miles without knowing if it had a fuel filter change, ouch. In that cold weather you should be changing it at about 10-12k miles.

Really hope that filter change will help with mileage, your fuel system will love new filters. Change your air filter as well if you don't know when it was changed.

2006 Dark Copper/Arizona Beige F-250 4x4 King Ranch CC SB 6.0/TorqShift 3.73LS Build 09/05:Bought 09/05 w/3 miles(12-15-06 9,300 all stock miles)

1993 Mack RW713 Superliner E7-350 Jacobbs Jake 8LL 20/58 Camelback 12R 24.5 Tandem Dump(12-15-06 586,000 miles)

1989 Mack RW713 Superliner E6-350 Dynatard 12sp 20/58 Camelback 11R 24 Tandem Dump(12-15-06 317,000 miles)

1996 Cat 416B 4X4 Ext-hoe (12-15-06 6,200 hrs)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 04:38 AM Thread Starter
Coolinthewoods
Threadstarter

I bought the truck for a dealer, It was said to have had a full service done on it. It had 32,000 miles on it. The air filter guage under the hood says its fine but with the info now given to me, the fuel filter is going to be changed. Is there only the one under the hood? Thanks guys.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 04:55 AM

Location: Freedom, Ohio is where home is but I'm currently in the dreaded southern Hemland Province, Afghanist
Garage
Actually you have 2 of them! One under the hood and one under the drivers side door on the frame rail! Change them like yesterday! 6.oh's do not like it if you wait to long to change the fuel filters!

I agree with Logan on the injector issue! Watch your oil levels! If they seem to be getting high and smell like fuel you have a or more leaking injectors! Your truck should also fall under the tsb 04-9-3 bulletin for loss of fuel mileage, rough running, and high oil level. Basically the same thing that my truck has. It just got done and I pick it up tomorrow morning. My mileage went from 16 to 10.5 and the oil level went up. Thats a sure sign of a leaking injector!

Oh ya fill out your sig so we know what you have done to the truck!

2010 Ford F150 XLT 5.4V8 Superchips, cold air intake, flowmaster dual exhaust
2008 Ford F350 Lariat Dually 22,000 miles Bad injectors, turbo's, and had a new DPF. traded in on the gasser.
2004 Ford F350 Lariat Dually 44,000 miles lemon EGR, two turbo's
Done with diesel's for now. Lost my @#$ on the two we had. 40 times in the shop between the both of them.
Michael Selander
Help the garage!
CAN YOU KEEP UP?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode