The Diesel Garage banner

best cold intake? for 6.0 with 75k mi

2K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  FireRescuePSD 
#1 ·
what ya think the best cold air intake is.. for a 2003 6.0 with 75k mi on it.
thanks for the help..i am driving acroos country and i need to save some money on my gas..looking for something to help my mpg?
thanks again.

#3 ·
Check out the new Enclosed RFI from Bully Dog. Part Number 51100. I have it on mine and the intake temp and exterior temp never vary more than 5 degrees when the vehicle is in motion. It has a good looking lid that is easy to remove for filter servicing and uses a highly efficient particulate filtering cone style filter. The zoodad mod works really well with this setup also.

#4 ·
i have an air raid on mine. bought it from summit racing. had it in 2 days. cost $250. also did the zoodad mod!

#6 ·
Zoodad mod????????????

#8 ·
well, with 305 70 R16 (appx 32") tires ....airraid intake, straight exhaust, and tuner i get around 19-20 mpg. when i had the stock 285 tires on i got around 21. if i spray pane (with the 32" tires, had them on since i got the pane setup) i get more like 23. i would imagine i could pull down 24-24.5 easy with stock tires and everything else mentioned. also note this is cruising highway at 72 mph.

#9 ·
6L strokin said:
well, with 305 70 R16 (appx 32") tires ....airraid intake, straight exhaust, and tuner i get around 19-20 mpg. when i had the stock 285 tires on i got around 21. if i spray pane (with the 32" tires, had them on since i got the pane setup) i get more like 23. i would imagine i could pull down 24-24.5 easy with stock tires and everything else mentioned. also note this is cruising highway at 72 mph.
Ok..without knowing what his truck has on it, assuming completely stock, I reitterate the question.

For the sake of discussion..
How much of an impact will the (insert brand) aftermarket intake have on his mileage? Enough to recoup the outlay of cash?

#10 ·
I say no, just a fancy looking unit under the hood! Stock unit works well.

6L strokin sure is getting some greattttttt fuel mileage !! The BEST I get on the road is 18... So what is wrong with my truck? It runs great. Maybe he
is on the pane??????????????

#11 ·
Rcannon said:
Ok..without knowing what his truck has on it, assuming completely stock, I reitterate the question.

ya, i was just saying what all I have done to get X mileage that way i dont throw out a big # and people assume thats just with an intake on a stock truck.

thompsd:
like i said, with no pane, and the 32s i get around 19ish. depends on if i get on it any and that is strictly highway keeping the rpms at 2K. i have the powershot 2000 propane kit and it adds about 2-4 mpg depending on the scenario. greatly helps when towing. reasoning it gives better mileage is when the boost starts climbing when going uphill, etc. the propane kicks in and you use that as extra power to make it up the grade instead of dumping a lot of diesel in. you can see this happening by watching your boost gauge. a normal hill the boost may climb to 8-10 psi. spray pane on that same hill and boost will not get above 5-6. also, adds a lot of merging lanes power too! let me know if you want any more info on it! i did a LOT of research before i purchased it and feel pretty knowledgable on the subject. also you can go to thier website. http://www.dieselperformanceproducts.com/home.html
or call em and ask for mary......tell her darin from ky. sent ya!
and IMHO pane dollar for dollar is the best mileage getter! :2cents

#12 ·
Thanks for the info on the propane injection. I tow a 12K toy hauler. I read the article on pane and don't think it is for me.. I am more interested in improving my fuel delivery and getting more efficiency out of the turbo by insulation or ceramics.
Back to mileage, I am basically stock and have a hard time getting even 16MPG on normal driving. I also try to keep RPM's below 2K most of the time.
Seems the 6.0 are all over the place on mileage- go figure !

#13 ·
I just took a trip from Dallas to Houston and back. Total miles including running around Houston, 734. 197 in town and the rest I-45 @ 73mph on cruise. Overall intown 16.8 Hwy ended up 20.2. I have the Intake, 4" catback and a Triple Dog Downloader set on Performance. Truck Stop Diesel ONLY!

#14 ·
2400 mile round trip this past weekend and got 19mpg avg hwy/town/traffic, had it all. zoodad, 4" turbo back and SCT on looney. Looked at intakes but the zoodad is free so i did it. It also helped on the surge of back pressure from the turbo. Don't get it nearly as much as i used to.

#15 ·
hey thompsd......if you want extra tow power and mpg, you need to get a tuner first. that alone will bump you up about 2 mpg! and higher perf. levels while cruising highway tend to get better mpg cuz like i said about the propane, more fuel= less throttle needed to acheive same speed.

I am more interested in improving my fuel delivery and getting more efficiency out of the turbo by insulation or ceramics.

not sure i know what you mean by this?

like i said, start out with a programmer for mileage and if you want to bust in the 20s get some pane and leave the flow low and you will get peak mileage.

#16 ·
Those are some impressive fuel mileage #'s. I seem to be getting around 15 mpg on a good day with the Xcal2 and straight exhaust.

#17 ·
ya, i guess i should add that it was 22.9 hand calculated, not overhead reading

#18 ·
Exhaust Performance

6L strokin- If you are interested in improving your power even further and quicker spool up time on your turbo, ceramics is the answer. It all boils down to keeping the heat in to make power on the exhaust side.
Visit "Adventures in 6.0 exhaust mods" part 1 and 2 by "WEKIWA" under the site "Ford mods. and instructions etc. VERY good reading.

I am aware of what an SCT tuner with the correct program can do. before I do that I will modify the flow to my injectors first. This is a big issue when having a heavy load and starving some of your injectors. fix the basic problems first, I think.

And last but not least, there is the issue on the warranty... I do not want to void it since I tow a 12,000 trailer... the whole thing is quite the "catch 22" type of deal, do ya or don't ya.. Being that we go out west in the summer I do not want to have a breakdown 1,000 miles from my shop and have to deal with a blown head gasket on warranty.... and PAY.

Let me know what you think of WEKIWA's articles-:cool:

#19 ·
ok, ill check em out sometime...i was going to read it a while back, but it was really long and i didnt have that much time. i think he knows his stuff pretty good though!

#20 ·
Performed Zoodad mod tonight..Could not have been easier. SCT will be here here Friday :)

Mark

#22 ·
I went with aftermarket (airaid) because I found it to much of a PITA to change the factory one. Only reason I did it LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.