The Diesel Garage banner

Roller Rockers for the 6.0?

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Wekiwa 
#1 ·
Just thinking back to the days of the 5liter gas motor. Ford likes to reuse parts from other engines to keep cost low. You could take the rocker arms from a 460 ford which were 1.83:1 and put them on a 5.0 for more lift, so has any one measured them on the 6.0l? It still has a block mounted cam so is there any way to get some more lift outta this thing? Yes I know when boosting we pass the 100% volumetric efficiency mark, but how about looking at the off idle and low RPM efficiency when boost isn't really there yet.

#3 ·
The only real cost at this point would be the R&D. I understand 5hp for $1000 is not the best thing to do, but how do we know it would only yield a small gain? Since dieselsite.com offers a cam, pushrods, springs, and valves for the 7.3. Why wouldn't the 6.0l benefit from them. The cost involved would go down if there was a big enough demand.

#6 ·
offroadinginaz said:
Speaking of the heads on our trucks. Does anybody port and polish them for improved air flow. It would probably be kind of pricey but if you want to build a rocket why not have it done while you already have the heads off changing the gaskets and studs.

Well the problem behind porting is knowing the head, and the way gas and air are gonna flow within the intake and exhaust chambers, and getting each cylinder to flow the exact CFM's and this is achieved on a flow bench. Porting has alot to do with what the engine wants to achieve, bottom,mid or top end grunt. There are alot of factors, I would say tons behind porting a head than just going with smoothing out the walls and polishing them. If you are not familiar with the motor and it's characteristics, you might damage the head itself, or worse, lose performance once put together.

-X

#7 ·
there were peeps out there porting / polishing heads on the 7.3's and there are true headers for the 7.3's for some crazy flow out of that motor. i haven't heard of anyone putting the time/money in on the 6.0 for that tho.

#8 ·
Choke_On_My_Smoke said:
Well the problem behind porting is knowing the head, and the way gas and air are gonna flow within the intake and exhaust chambers, and getting each cylinder to flow the exact CFM's and this is achieved on a flow bench.
-X
Ain't that the truth. :Thumbup: Porting for atmosphere and Boost are completely different things. I'm sure someone is playing with it by now though.
If I have to replace head gaskets you can bet I'll atleast "clean" them up a little. :evil:
The rocker ratio's may be a good start or may yeild nothing?
My concern now is fuel to & from the heads...lots of researching needed.

Wekiwa

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.