For those that don't think a coolant filter is needed - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by blue, this thread has received 190 replies and been viewed 14033 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 191 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Red face Would a coolant filter help?

Had a new EGR valve & cooler installed last week of June (expensive!) Kept hearing the fan kick in high gear. Took to another shop (back where I bought the truck), 2nd week of July. This time I paid for a new oil cooler, and yes, another EGR cooler. I did get the old parts, and yes you can clearly see the sludge in the coolant portion of the oil cooler. Oh yeah, the truck is stock and has 114k miles on it.

Technician tells me that Ford has redesigned the oil cooler to reduce oil cooler problems. True or not? I don't know. Just looking at the cooler and how it integrates into the engine, I don't see what will prevent the sludge from collecting again. Nor do I see how flushing the coolant system will remove any coolant sediment that's settled in such a recess.

I've been reading that some are installing a coolant filter off of one of the heater hoses. What do you think? Will it work? Better than nothing?

At this point I've decided that the 100k coolant flush isn't nearly frequent enough.

Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 191 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 09:20 PM
4cstr

It sure wouldn't hurt. If the 6L block is like the 7.3L block...the benefits of removing the casting sand from the block are enough to warrant getting a coolant filter.
post #3 of 191 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 09:59 PM
Still kickin

It can't hurt anything, go for it. It's on my "to do" list.

John
08 6.7 QC SB 4x4 "hand-shaker" edition, De-Badged, EGR Delete, TTT Mirrors, Auto Exhaust Brake, etc.
All details and instructions --> www.CarboniteCummins.com

Successfully blew up three 6.0s before moving up in the food chain.
post #4 of 191 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 01:28 AM
Good on gas, hell on dzl

Garage
I say it mite be something worth looking in to. I talked with Loki Wolf last weekend, hes got a coolant filter on his truck. The install was pretty clean and looked fairly easy too. Just "T" into the heater hose, "T" into the overflow hose, and the filter housing mounts to the radiator support.
Im sure he'll be along with some more comments.
After he said something bout the first filter change having a pile of sand in it, Im considering doin the filter myself. As soon as I can get caught up with my other mods I need to install.

2006 F250 Super Duty Harley Edition #00604
Black with blue flames Crew Cab, long bed.
MBRP 4" Duals, AEM intake, Accufab elbow, SCT tuned by DJ(Looney)and Spartan, DJs Fuel + Intensifier, Dieselsite coolant filter, Commander monitor for gauges, PML front diff cover, cheap locker in front, Icon leveling kit, Icon Dual steering stabs, OneUpOffroad front link arms, OUO 5" traction blocks, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker.
post #5 of 191 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 02:04 AM
MAFIA #8

Garage
Ive been running one for 3 years now and my first 2 filters were nasty and the last one still had some stuff in it..

Reminds me that I think mine is due a change....

Aaron - 2004 F350 "Offroad Edition"

2003 F250 "Pulling Truck"
post #6 of 191 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 04:15 AM
Good on gas, hell on dzl

Garage
How often should the coolant filter be changed??

2006 F250 Super Duty Harley Edition #00604
Black with blue flames Crew Cab, long bed.
MBRP 4" Duals, AEM intake, Accufab elbow, SCT tuned by DJ(Looney)and Spartan, DJs Fuel + Intensifier, Dieselsite coolant filter, Commander monitor for gauges, PML front diff cover, cheap locker in front, Icon leveling kit, Icon Dual steering stabs, OneUpOffroad front link arms, OUO 5" traction blocks, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker.
post #7 of 191 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 05:19 AM
Still kickin

I believe the first one should be changed after a few thousand miles, the second a little longer, etc, until you get the initial "gunk" out of the engine. Then just make it a regular change. You'll be able to feel the return hose while the engine is running, if it's cold then the filter's clogged and needs changing. Here's one such system with some pics of what you'll get out.

John
08 6.7 QC SB 4x4 "hand-shaker" edition, De-Badged, EGR Delete, TTT Mirrors, Auto Exhaust Brake, etc.
All details and instructions --> www.CarboniteCummins.com

Successfully blew up three 6.0s before moving up in the food chain.
post #8 of 191 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 05:34 AM

Installed a Dieselsite coolant filter at 10,000 miles, 35K now. Changed the first filter at 1,000 miles, tore it open and it had about a tablespoon full of sand and some sludge that was like toothpaste. Changed the 2nd filter after 3,000 miles and got about a teaspoonful of sand and more sludge. I've changed it twice since then but didn't tear them open. The Degas bottle doesn't have the 'coating' crud inside anymore either.

After seeing the sand and sludge it filtered out of the cooling system I definitely recommend the coolant filter.
post #9 of 191 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flopster843
I believe the first one should be changed after a few thousand miles, the second a little longer, etc, until you get the initial "gunk" out of the engine. Then just make it a regular change. You'll be able to feel the return hose while the engine is running, if it's cold then the filter's clogged and needs changing. Here's one such system with some pics of what you'll get out.

Thanks for the link.:thanks:

This looks like a cheap and easy mod. I like cheap.
post #10 of 191 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thanks for all of the feedback! Apologies for the sabatical...issues. I'll be ordering that filter system and doing an install before I run over to Talladega for the October race!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode