is this normal?? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by nick43, this thread has received 7 replies and been viewed 1006 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

is this normal??

i havn't driven my 04 in like 6months untill tonight, and i noticed that at about 2500rpm, there was a loud sound of air leaking, such a having the passenger side window cracked alittle. My wife is the main driver of the 04, and i asked her if she noticed that sound, and she said oh, this truck has always made that sound. So I came home opened the hood and notice the cac boot on the hot side closest to turbo had a 1/2" wide tear in it. The thing that gets me is that this truck ran alot faster like this it was so much quicker taking off from a dead stop. Why would it be quicker, when it is loosing boost pressure??:shrug:

GEt YOUR OWN EMAIL ADDRESS. This Guy Was Using Mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 10:48 PM

I have heard that the stock sticks aren't big enough for the stock turbo. So maybe it was running better, because the mixture was getting closer together. Well i see you have no tunes in it so maybe not. I do remember hearing that the stock sticks can't keep up with the stock turbo.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 03:16 AM

Send a message via MSN to f350bart
well you said you havent driven it in awhile so maybe thats why it seems faster?

03 f-350 6.0 leveling kit w/ 35's, sct from innovative, aem filter, 6in single stack, 4 pillar with fuel pres., boost, pyro, and trans temp, suncoast trans, spearco, studs, stock turbo w/ billet wheel, from brian at black widow, and 205cc injectors
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 03:49 AM
Got Torque?

if your MAP sensor is not calibrated right, that could make it call for the wrong amount of boost, etc. Just a guess...

Black 2003 F350 Dually, Nothing Stock

Other Rides:

Black 2006 300C SRT8
Black 2012 CTS-V (630HP)
Black 2008 Mercedes E550
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

ok, i got a new boot for it today, installed it, and drove the truck around. This may seem crazy but the truck is just not as quick. taking off it just wont run like it would with the torn boot. Why do you think it would do this, when the boot tore there was no check engine light. Is it bad that i was running it like that.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 12:44 AM

Send a message via MSN to f350bart
i would say so, somethin aint right

03 f-350 6.0 leveling kit w/ 35's, sct from innovative, aem filter, 6in single stack, 4 pillar with fuel pres., boost, pyro, and trans temp, suncoast trans, spearco, studs, stock turbo w/ billet wheel, from brian at black widow, and 205cc injectors
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

do you think maybe it was sucking in cold air trough the hot side. turbo sounded good, whistled more than ever, and now the whistle is gone.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 03:26 AM

If the small CAC blue boot right on the trubcharger has a hole in it and now you have replaced it, the VGT is either sticking and overboosted and created the hole or the VGT set a code from underboosting due to the hole in the CAC boot and now you need to clear the DTC's and then perform a VGT relean.
any time a 6.0l truck sets a DTC in the PCM it will need to go through VGT relean, or VGT adaptive strategy. it needs to lear how you drive.
You made the staement of "I" have not driven my truck in 6months, does that mean only you or the truck has been parked for a period ot time?? If it has been parked then I would bet close to 100% the VGT is rusted shut and is the causual part.:givemebeer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode